Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Determined vs Obsessive??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2013, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Determined vs Obsessive??

When looking for availability using Avios to upgrade an existing booking, especially in the final few weeks before a flight, how many times a day/week is it healthy to look?

Or put more simply, when does determined to get the seats if they are released become obsessed with getting the seats?

I fear I am on a slippery slope.... but being told the cabin is still wide open makes me even more sure they will be released.....
Old Nov 28, 2013, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Once a day first thing in the morning should be sufficient.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 4:27 am

Why do you say that Sixth Freedom?

I've been checking (somewhat obsessively) for UuA on a TATL for Saturday and availability has been coming and going (on various days except mine ) throughout the day for most of this week.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 4:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, Bonvoy Plat
...and when is the last possible time for the availability to open up? T-24??
Old Nov 28, 2013, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Sixth Freedom

Oh I'm in deep then!

windowontheAside

I've been checking (somewhat obsessively) for UuA on a TATL for Saturday and availability has been coming and going (on various days except mine ) throughout the day for most of this week.

That's the worst when you see other flights either side of yours having availability
Old Nov 28, 2013, 4:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The verb declines in a particular way:

I am determined
You are a geek
He is obsessive
They are off their rocker.

My approach is to check every day - early in the morning UK time - up until 2 weeks before, but twice on Mondays. The main release of seats happens in the early hours of the morning. Then morning and afternoon in the final 2 weeks, and maybe 3 or 4 times a day in the days leading up to departure. It works well for me (e.g. on trips to Australia and New Zealand, which is where my Avios stash largely goes). I'm usually able to find a CW route a day or two before departure, using some flexibility.

Noting in this the "degree day" approach - there seems an algorithm that balances supply with known demand that heats up as you get near to departure. If it's a business route then there's a lot of movement mid morning and mid afternoon, less so late at night. Also as you go over "days before flight" deadlines that also seems to have a factor. So if the flight departs at 14 hrs, looking at 14:30 would be a good idea. Availability can show just hours before departure, and I've taken advantage of this to get to Sydney, booking just 3 hours beforehand.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 4:37 am

It's only obsessive to check frequently if it interferes with doing something else. Normally, I check once
in the morning and then in the evening before bed. Though I've never noticed a difference by checking
twice a day

H
Old Nov 28, 2013, 4:58 am

Programs: BA Exec, Amex Plat, CX Gold, etc.
Depends.

When I was trying to get F flights to BOS for my partner and I, I was obsessive until I learnt the pattern. I checked the flights on various days to see what I could guess, although of course previous behaviour is no guarantee. I figured it was the best I had.

I noticed that [retty much every day at 1220 (am) on the day before a flight availability in the F cabin released providing there was >=5 empty full fare seats. Once I learnt the pattern I checked once a day, but did stay up extra late on the day availability became free to nab the seats as soon as I could.

I'm now doing the same with YYC, but this time trying to get a friend upgraded from WTP to CW (the cabin we're travelling in)
Old Nov 28, 2013, 5:11 am

Programs: Budding BA Bronze, MPC Gold
Depends what flight it is...for a Christmas leisure trip coming up it's 3/4 times a day...
Old Nov 28, 2013, 5:13 am

Waahhh - and just I've been through the obsessive hunting this week I see on another thread someone else has managed to UuA my route on my date! *grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr*

Wonder when I missed it.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is probably quite possible to spend longer searching for UUA availability than you will on the plane!
Old Nov 28, 2013, 6:28 am

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
You're focussing on the process, rather than the end result.

There are only two outcomes: successful, and unsuccessful.

And as we all know, the only one worth achieving is the former.

How you get there is immaterial...
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Well T-48 and still no seats released. Only 3 booked in the F cabin and expertflyer shows: F9 A9 J9 C9 D9 R9 IC W9 E9 T9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 OC G9
Seats available in J still on Avios.

Aircraft has changed to 74I - wonder if they are not releasing any more seats to proactively avoid having to offer service recovery compensation?
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:46 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
I disagree with this based upon my recent experience.

I have an upcoming CW return that I wanted to UUA to F.

I have managed to do so ... but my strategy was to check twice a day, and based upon how availability finally opened up for the final segment to upgrade ... I think that was good strategy.

I'd normally check once in the morning (US East Coast) and once in the evening. The other day on a whim, I checked at around 3pm and 1 seat was available for my date ... which was 10 or 11 days out at that point. Other dates in between also became available, all of which had not been available when I checked in the morning.

While checking twice a day for a couple weeks, I did notice that availability would often open at somewhere between T-48 and T-36 ... and sometimes at T-24.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 1:09 pm

Hmmm obsessive.. moi.. how very dare you... lol

So I booked WT+ Package to NYC (left last Thursday, got back Monday morning sob...) My strategy was, as I had, by my own doing chosen not to book in the Ba luxury sale and therefore missed out on CW CW (£1970 including hotel) and CW-F (£2500 incl hotel) options.

I opted to book WT+ and try for an upgrade paid or otherwise - that would equal or beat the total £2k which I had seen originally.

I checked at least 6 times a day, sometimes more and the Sunday evening before at 1930 - BAM - there it was availability... cue a frantic call to Ba who upgraded me...via avios.. £106 fee [cue the CW dance..]

So what happened..?? well.. this fuelled my obsession (I mean determination) further I decided to check for the inbound... cue checking online here and in NYC (twice a day) oh and a few phone calls (would have happily paid for upgrade too)...

Alas.. I was not going to be so lucky.. Was offered upgrade at airport however not guaranteed to sit together... so we declined.

Not sure what the moral of this story is.. but have fun checking and if you do get the upgrade make sure you do the dance.. it feels so much better, especially when you have saved some £ too

Last edited by Dreaming of WT+; Dec 4, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.