Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is Scottish independence good or bad for British Airways?

Old Nov 27, 2013, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

My question is limited to how it will or will not affect BA. Please don't turn this into a political discussion. I believe the BA section of the forum does not allow off-topic discussion.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 1:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Bad - due to the cost of re-painting all the tails with the St George's flag and renaming itself London Airways
Old Nov 27, 2013, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
Bad - due to the cost of re-painting all the tails with the St George's flag and renaming itself London Airways
I guess members of the royal family(from the Queen to the butlers) will have to get new business cards printed?

If just 10% of the population of England move to Scotland in time for the vote, the outcome will probably be very different? (considering Scotland only makes up about less than 10% of the UK's entire population)
Old Nov 27, 2013, 1:47 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Good: The increased economic and administrative activity in Edinburgh and Glasgow will lead to increased demand to travel to these cities; BA is in the driving seat to mop this up.

Bad: A Scottish Government with control of APD and other relevant taxes will be more inclined to set them at a rate which encourages more airlines and routes to fly from Scotland.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 1:51 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Very difficult to guess or even consider the effect on corporate deals. I am thinking RBS which is currently majority owned by the UK taxpayer. Ultimately people will need to travel and while it is possible to fly with a Scottish carrier, there are only so many holidays and business meetings one can have in Benbecula or Tiree

Brazen nationalists don't fly BA anyway, out of principle, or travel at all for that matter. We'll no be paying out our Scottish pounds to an English company. Agnes, I'd rather naw my leg off and take the Perth owned OmegaBus that fly on that London Airways.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Good: The increased economic and administrative activity in Edinburgh and Glasgow will lead to increased demand to travel to these cities; BA is in the driving seat to mop this up.

Bad: A Scottish Government with control of APD and other relevant taxes will be more inclined to set them at a rate which encourages more airlines and routes to fly from Scotland.
now that I think about it, why not a new Scottish Airways?(with male flight attendants wearing kilts)

http://www.meninkilts.com/
Old Nov 27, 2013, 1:59 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Wasn't that long ago when a number of short haul BA aircraft, often used on domestics had the tartan tail fins....
Scottish independence may encourage the re-Instatement of flights to Inverness, which will shortly lose the ability to through ticket on to BA services via LGW and KLM services via AMS, attracting more passengers to the region.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the APD rate would affect BA the most. If flying from Scotland via London to somewhere nice is cheaper than from Newcastle, then people would travel into Scotland. This effect is already shown in Ireland.

I cant see how the new UK would allow Scotland to have low restrictions of people coming into the country. England wil have to set up a new entry point. This could disrupt people and their trips.

Finances, we haven't been told what currency they will have. The strength of any exchange rate will affect BA. The SNP think its the pound, both English parties have said no to this. If the Euro is taken then it would be normal like France, if not how will they pay.

I am not really sure Scotland will change much more than it is at the moment. I don't see why companies would move to Scotland. So EDI and GLA wouldn't necessary expand.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

why isn't there a simultaneous referendum in England, Wales, and/or Northern Ireland? UK voters(excluding Scotland residents) should be allowed to vote on whether or not to expel forthwith the residents of Scotland from the kingdom? ...like when Singapore had no choice to become independent when it was expelled from Malaysia
Old Nov 27, 2013, 2:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Due to tradition.....on Sunday departures from Scotland it'll become mandatory for BA to provide the on board fry-up breakfast until 2pm.....Irn Bru must be available for those with a drooth.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 2:29 pm
GLA

Programs: BA VS
It's all academic. Ain't happening.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 2:32 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
I'd meant to download the PDFs and have a scan through, so this is a good excuse

From the summary document:

Originally Posted by SNP
Gains from independence – if we are the first government
of an independent Scotland

Reduction in Air Passenger Duty by 50 per cent, with a view to
abolishing it when public finances allow
From the main (690 page) document:

Originally Posted by SNP
A recent study estimated that APD will cost Scotland more
than Ł200 million a year in lost tourism spend alone by 201683.
We plan to reduce APD by 50 per cent in the first term of the
independent parliament, with a view to abolishing it when public
finances allow.

As an independent nation, Scotland will be better placed to
work with airport, airline, tourism and other partners to sustain
network development activity in long-haul markets, as part
of a Team Scotland approach. The Irish Government has for
example struck a deal with Customs Authorities in the US to
allow passengers travelling through airports in Ireland to clear
passport control before boarding the plane.

Also, some stuff about ATC, accident investigation, passports and CTA, currency, etc.

Last edited by dunk; Nov 27, 2013 at 2:38 pm
Old Nov 27, 2013, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Bad? I'd gladly elope to Gretna Green to catch flights without APD!

Originally Posted by threepackape
now that I think about it, why not a new Scottish Airways?(with male flight attendants wearing kilts)

Or how about.... British Caledonian?
Old Nov 27, 2013, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by threepackape

There already is a dedicated Scottish Airline that can take up the challenges!- Air Scotia

BTW before people start going 'huzzah APD down 50% from Scotland' should remember that prices did not go down when it was eliminated on the UA/CO Belfast - NYC flight !
Old Nov 27, 2013, 2:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GLA
It's all academic. Ain't happening.
Indeed...hence my rather tongue in cheek reply above.

It's all the rage in the media over here you know. I keep being asked questions about how it'll affect me if they vote yes. Will I get a new Scottish passport? Will the English be turned away at the Scottish border if they don't have a visa? Will I be turned away at the English border if I don't have a visa? Will I be forced to wear a kilt when I go back?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.