Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Heathrow T5 Fasttrack immigration.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2013, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Using Heathrow T5 Fasttrack immigration.

Hi all,

I am a BAEC bronze flying BOS-LHR-BLR later today. The BOS-LHR leg is in CW and the LHR-BLR leg is in WTP. Will I be able to use the Fast Track immigration line in T5 at Heathrow on account of my 1st leg being in CW? Or is that I can't do so as my 2nd leg is in WTP?

Thanks!
Old Nov 23, 2013, 1:08 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by sometalkofme

I am a BAEC bronze flying BOS-LHR-BLR later today. The BOS-LHR leg is in CW and the LHR-BLR leg is in WTP. Will I be able to use the Fast Track immigration line in T5 at Heathrow on account of my 1st leg being in CW? Or is that I can't do so as my 2nd leg is in WTP?
You don't need to go through immigration at T5 if you are transiting the same day to an international flight.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
A better question is (assuming no status) whether you can use the lounge at LHR. I think so (based on your incoming flight), but not 100% sure.

As mentioned previously there's no need to go through immigration if in transit, unless you want to go landside (e.g. to smoke, or if a long layover visit London/Windsor). If you do go landside you're eligible for immigration fast track (if you have a no-EU passport).
Old Nov 23, 2013, 1:20 pm

You'll be able to use Fast Track connections - this will save about zero time if BAA continue their practice of putting folks on tight connections through the Fast Track queue.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by sometalkofme
Hi all,

Thanks!
You won't be using fast track immigration or any immigration at all, as at LHR, like most countries other than the USA, you don't have to clear immigration to transit and fly on to a third country.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA (Gold), Flying Blue (Gold), Virgin (Gold)
I get really miffed with fast track immigration at T5. As a Brit you have to wait up to 30mins to get through despite status or flight class but if I'm from outside the EU I can walz through!

You compare that to the US where they square off their own (which are typically more straight forward) and then open up those desks to foreigners.

Certainly not saying the US is the way to go (e.g when landing in Detroit being treated like a criminal and asked every question under the sun about why I'm in the city... It's not like I'm going to stay there... I'm from the UK... It's a pretty cool place... Detroit on the other hand...), but there are times when I wish we stop being so bloody PC!!
Old Nov 23, 2013, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Before Brits start to moan, I would just like to point out that there is usually only one designated counter for Fast-track immigration. All it takes is for one passenger who appears suspicious to the immigration officer, the whole queue starts to build up. The immigration officer does not pass the problem person to another officer. The entire queue has to wait for that one case to be resolved. Very occasionally, someone has the sense to call another officer to take over the queue while the original officer continues to process the problem passenger. By this stage, the fast-track queue would have ended up way down the entrance to the immigration hall.

Sometimes, passengers are asked for their return flight information and they take ages to hunt their bags for the documentation.

It is really pot-luck who is in the queue in front of you. Usually, if you are lucky, you get business travellers in front of you with loads of stamps in their passports which usually relaxes the immigration officer.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA (Gold), Flying Blue (Gold), Virgin (Gold)
Originally Posted by KenJohn
Before Brits start to moan, I would just like to point out that there is usually only one designated counter for Fast-track immigration. All it takes is for one passenger who appears suspicious to the immigration officer, the whole queue starts to build up. The immigration officer does not pass the problem person to another officer. The entire queue has to wait for that one case to be resolved. Very occasionally, someone has the sense to call another officer to take over the queue while the original officer continues to process the problem passenger. By this stage, the fast-track queue would have ended up way down the entrance to the immigration hall.

Sometimes, passengers are asked for their return flight information and they take ages to hunt their bags for the documentation.

It is really pot-luck who is in the queue in front of you. Usually, if you are lucky, you get loads of business travellers with loads of stamps in their passports which usually relaxes the immigration officer.

To be honest, it would be far easier if they just split it out into a couple of clear and straightforward lanes. One could also apply this approach to security. My suggestions would be:

1) illegal immigrants
2) terrorists
3) families
4) old people
5) people who fly < one a year
6) everyone else.

I feel this would help speed things up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.