Community
Wiki Posts
Search

getting Amex platinum card ethics

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2013, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Is it unethical to sign up for the Amex platinum card to get Marco Polo gold (BA silver) and then cancelling the amex once the Marco Polo card comes through?
I have quite a few BA flights next year and would love to choose my seats early and have some lounge when I am not flying club or first.
To note, I have a gold amex so cannot get the sign up bonus so will it be doing the spend.
Also, does the priority pass card only stay valid for the time I have the Amex?
Old Nov 22, 2013, 4:55 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Why would it be unethical? American Express are a business. This is one of the perks. You are following their T&C's. Jump all over it.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 5:38 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue, IHG Gold

Agree. Get on it
Old Nov 22, 2013, 5:44 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Hyatt (Globalist)
i'd second that too. and PP is valid only while you have the platinum card. it gets cancelled afterwards.

remember that you can probably status match to hilton gold and IHG platinum for a year as well and both bring nice perks. depends on your upcoming stays to see if it's worth it.

same with car rentals with avis and hertz (the latter has recently improved). you need to sign up for hertz through amex platinum to get the upgrade and won't work on an existing account.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 6:25 am

Programs: BAEC
Certainly no problem doing this - I was in the GLA and LGW lounge last week using the Marco Polo Gold card despite having cancelled the Amex Platinum over 6 months ago. Unfortunately the card runs out next week!

I'm not clear if I choose to reapply for the Amex Platinum in the new year, after the CX Gold has run out, whether I'll be upgraded to CX Gold again for another 12 months or not. I would assume so but have not heard of any experiences on here whether this works.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 6:38 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
As an aside, upon receiving our (new) American Express Platinum (NL) cards; our MarcoPolo Gold cards, and luggage tags arrived in under two weeks from filling out the electronic application on NL American Express Platinum website. (this was just within the last month)

valid thru Nov 2014

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.