Wiki Posts
Search

Help with EX-EU fare

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2013, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC bronze, BA amex +
Help with EX-EU fare

Hi guys, im looking into an ex-eu fare and have no clue how to check prices. I rang my local TA and they tried to put me off doing this as he said in his experiance its doesnt "save much". I would be looking to fly on 8th jan - returning 19 jan, would be looking at going to sin again if anybody could help would be hugely appreciated!

Last edited by Rogerrobberts; Nov 15, 2013 at 7:04 am Reason: Mistake
Old Nov 15, 2013, 7:07 am

try ita matrix by putting in departures from the various large hubs
Old Nov 15, 2013, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Is the TA correct in saying that it does not save much ?
Old Nov 15, 2013, 7:15 am

Depends where you're going. I've done it several times to the US and saved over a grand each time, and sometimes considerably more.

I haven't tried it going to Asia but I think the savings are smaller that way.

ITA matrix is your friend though, as suggested above.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 7:20 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Ex-EU booking guide: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...l#post13303030

I recently saved £1,300pp (minus £200 positioning flights, although I was able to arrange them as two additional holidays).

A quick look for your dates shows fares from £1950, compared to £3200 ex-LHR. However, don't forget to include positioning flights, hotel (if needed), your time and increased risk.

£1,956 OSL-LHR-SIN return SIN-LHR on BA connecting to Air Malta LHR-MLA would be my pick, as the final leg is easier to 'forget'.

Last edited by nux; Nov 15, 2013 at 7:28 am
Old Nov 15, 2013, 7:25 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Also depends on which class you are flying - economy is normally more expensive ex-EU, WT+ isn't worth it, and J/F saves (as said before) c. £1,000+
Old Nov 15, 2013, 7:28 am

A very quick look at ITA for your dates shows you'd save £800 going from MXP-LHR-SIN (£1937) on BA over just the LHR-SIN flight (£2719)

If you look at the OW network, you can go MH from IST for £1520.

All those are J prices. As noted above, savings (if any) in Y and W aren't generally worth it.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 7:29 am
Original Poster

I would be looking for J
Old Nov 15, 2013, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Rogerrobberts
Is the TA correct in saying that it does not save much ?
Depends on the route and the cabin class.

Big savings can be had in J.

Probably not worth it for Y especially if you add in the cost of the positioning flights and hotel.

Always worth doing the calculations for both the ex-EU and ex-UK options just to see how much you would actually save. Sometimes it is worth it and sometimes not.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
I think this is an up to date list of all SH destinations:

AAL, AAR, ABZ, ACE, AGP, ALC, AMS, ANE, ARN, ATH, BCN, BER, BGO, BHD, BIO, BLL, BLQ, BOD, BRI, BRU, BSL, BUD, CDG, CMF, CPH, CTA, DBV, DUB, DUS, EDI, FAO, FCO, FLR, FRA, GIB, GLA, GOA, GOT, GRX, GVA, HAJ, HAM, HEL, IBZ, INN, IOM, IST, JMK, JTR, KBP, LBA, LCA, LIN, LIS, LPA, LUX, LYS, MAD, MAN, MLA, MRS, MUC, MXP, NAP, NCE, NCL, OPO, ORY, OSL, OTP, PFO, PMI, PRG, PSA, RTM, SKG, SOF, STR, SVG, SZG, TIA, TRN, TFS, TLS, UIP, VCE, VIE, VLC, VRN, WAW, ZAG, ZRH
Old Nov 15, 2013, 6:20 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
Isn't there something special about Jersey as a departure point too? Not sure if it's the same sort of anomaly as BHD....?
Old Nov 15, 2013, 9:40 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
Bear in mind that there are other Oneworld options to SIN, including Finnair (AY), Malaysian (MH). Qatar (QR) and Royal Jordanian (RJ). starting in LON and ex-EU.

If you're messing about on ITA matrix, try using the '/alliance oneworld' option.

hth
Old Nov 16, 2013, 2:37 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Titanium Lifetime/UA/JetBlue
Don't forget to try the AA website and see what they have. You can often fly on a BA codeshare through AA much cheaper than buying from BA direct.

I just got 1210 tier points on a HNL itinerary from Brussels in F for the same price as the AA J fare (very strange!), and flew home from MIA on a BA codeshare.

Great trip all for just over 3000 euros!
Old Nov 16, 2013, 6:04 am

Programs: BA Silver; BA Amex PP; Accor Plat
Does anyone do ex-EU from the regions and if so, how do you choose the starting point. We are doing an ex-DUB and have chosen an Aer Lingus direct flight to position, rather than the BA option via LHR (even with the 60 extra TPs that would have yielded!) But that restricts us to destinations that we can get to direct. I'd worry (especially in winter) that an extra flight with a connection through LHR would significantly increase the risk of missing the start of your itinerary.

So if you are in the regions, do you find yourself restricted this way?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.