Search

OTish New EASA PED policy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2013, 9:03 am
McG
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
OTish New EASA PED policy

EASA have followed the FAA's lead on the use of PED on board.

http://easa.europa.eu/communications/press-releases/EASA-press-release.php?id=125
Old Nov 13, 2013, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That was sort-of fast-ish.

Is the UK CAA in the way, or can BA implement a new policy when the EASA publishes its guidance "by the end of November 2013"?
Old Nov 13, 2013, 10:20 am
McG
Original Poster

I asked BA & Easyjet on twitter regarding this.

BA say they take guidance from CAA and have no new policy as yet.

EZY say they have no official information regarding this yet.

I suspect that EASAhas caught everyone on the hop with their press release.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 10:56 am

Programs: M&M FTL; BAEC Bronze
This is good news.

I flew in the states last week with American and they had already implemented their new policy and I must admit it was great to be able to use my e-reader during taxi, take-off and landing, and plenty of other were using tablets and phones.

But I had to laugh when I flew back on an American 77W, which was < 1 year old, and instead of a non-smoking sign they had a "turn off all electronic devices" sign instead. It has taken airlines so long to remove the non smoking sign and now the new sign is already out of date!
Old Nov 14, 2013, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I learned two new acronyms from this thread title!
Old Nov 14, 2013, 3:40 am

But surely having that mobile phone switched on during take-off will cause the plane to fall out the sky?

And that Kindle being read on landing, when the brakes are applied a little harder than usual will fly like a missile down the cabin.

Oh wait.....

Glad to see sense prevailing, albeit 10 years late.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 4:48 am

End of the month you say? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24939782

Indulge me

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_QiUw8NmmJV...BLaughing.jpeg.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 5:11 am

Programs: BA Gold
Assuming the CAA follows this move BA will have to change their safety video. That will surely take a while to do or can the crew just "bleep out" that section?
Old Nov 14, 2013, 5:28 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by dj_jay_smith
But I had to laugh when I flew back on an American 77W, which was < 1 year old, and instead of a non-smoking sign they had a "turn off all electronic devices" sign instead. It has taken airlines so long to remove the non smoking sign and now the new sign is already out of date!
I was on an RJ A320 last year which had signs saying when you could use your mobile phones in flight.

Would this mean that BA will stop saying that only BA headphones can be used during taxi, takeoff, landing? (What's the difference between BA issued headphones and any other headphone? o.O)

Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
Assuming the CAA follows this move BA will have to change their safety video. That will surely take a while to do or can the crew just "bleep out" that section?
Wouldn't having something that makes them change the video be good? That safety video is old and boring.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 5:49 am

Programs: M&M SEN, BA Gold
http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...nding-easa-caa

Following Easa’s decision and release of guidance by the end of November this year, the UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) can then implement the recommendations with individual airlines. Instead of a blanket change, the approval for use of electronic devices during all phases of flight will be made on an airline by airline basis.

Any UK airline that aims to allow the use of electronic devices during take-off and landing will have to present a “safety case” to the CAA in the UK...
“The airlines now have access to new methodology for the safety testing of devices, which could be a relatively quick process, especially as some airlines are likely to have already done a fair bit of testing,” said a CAA spokesperson.

“We will have to wait and see what the nature of the guidance will be, so it is difficult to predict an accurate timescale, but it is possible that UK airlines could be permitted to allow the use of personal electronic devices (PEDs) during all phases of flight before Christmas this year,” the CAA spokesperson added.

The next stage in the approval of use of electronic devices during take-off and landing in the UK ultimately lies with individual airlines, who may or may not have already commenced testing for their safety cases.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 6:05 am

Testing? Wasn't there testing done back in 1986? What more do they need? I mean it's not like the FAA and the EASA have said the last 25 years was a puff of smoke.....

I do get the earphone restriction to the Airline system (not necessarily BA earphones) as that is a logical safety requirement.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 6:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, LH FT, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Himeno
Would this mean that BA will stop saying that only BA headphones can be used during taxi, takeoff, landing? (What's the difference between BA issued headphones and any other headphone? o.O)
I believe it's more to do with the fact that if you're using the IFE during takeoff/landing they want you to use BA equipment so that, in the unlikely event of an emergency they can use the PA to notify you?
Of course you can plug your own headphones into the IFE but then the cabin crew would need to check that everyone using their own headphones is using them with the BA IFE and not for say, their iPod.

I doubt anyone would want to subject themselves to using the BA headphones in WT with their iPod, they're horrible things to use!
Old Nov 14, 2013, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by britishchris
Of course you can plug your own headphones into the IFE but then the cabin crew would need to check that everyone using their own headphones is using them with the BA IFE and not for say, their iPod.
But given all the time that will be saved by not having to sleuth around the cabin, CC could indeed check everyone before takeoff or landing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.