Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Heathrow Express - No wifi until January 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2013, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

FYI: Heathrow Express wifi is likely to be offline until some time in January 2014.

I noticed my phone couldn't find it over the past weeks or so, so today asked the guard if it was down. He informed me that the whole system will be offline until some time in January due to a major upgrade. In January, all carriages will be getting upgraded (I'm not sure if that's just the wifi or other stuff too) and the new system will be much better (apparently).

Why that means it has to be offline now, I don't know. I didn't want to grill the chap about it. But think it's pretty poor show considering the recent fare increase... you'd assume they knew this would be happening then.

Anyway, just thought people might be interested to know. I can imagine first class ticket holders being pretty annoyed, as I often see them on their laptops and tablets crunching last minute emails.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Even the TV doesn't work any more! The most expensive train in the UK!
Old Nov 11, 2013, 3:38 pm

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by allturnleft
Even the TV doesn't work any more! The most expensive train in the UK!
That's a good thing.

The lack of wifi and power though should mean a refund.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
The wifi has never worked on any of my trips. Never.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 4:00 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold
I've not had working wifi for at least two years!
Old Nov 11, 2013, 4:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
I noticed it too in my recent trips. I don't really need wifi for 15 minutes as I can use 3G, but it's appalling that they don't even inform people of this lack of service. With the price they charge for a ride it would be the minimum.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
East Coast are also launching upgraded wifi in 2014. But the current (slow) system will continue to work in the meantime. I can't see why the HEX can't do the same.

I've never had the need to use wifi on the HEX but those that do will see it as a deterioration in their overpriced service.

I don't think the TV's add much these days. I liked the old 'Express Facts' and the BBC News. I don't know if it's just a coincidence but the BBC News on the Heathrow Express seemed to be more updated than Sky News which replaced it - as we all know Sky likes to be first with breaking news so it looks like HEX just wasn't getting updates as often, probably cost savings.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 12:27 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Looks like all mention of wifi has been removed from their website too.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Wifi on Hex has always been next to useless, normally because it takes you at least 5 minutes to be able to register for it!

What HEx needs is fast, free wifi with no sign up page. Just something that works. God knows we pay enough for (an increasingly overcrowded at peak times) service.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 3:06 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
Wifi on Hex has always been next to useless, normally because it takes you at least 5 minutes to be able to register for it!

What HEx needs is fast, free wifi with no sign up page. Just something that works. God knows we pay enough for (an increasingly overcrowded at peak times) service.
If its overcrowded, it's probably underpriced. It's not like there's a shortage of other routes (Underground, Connect, Taxi)

I assume you don't fill in real details on the signup page? My browser has [email protected] autofilled, it's probably quicker than getting a connection at lounges.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 3:25 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by DominicB
I've not had working wifi for at least two years!
i second that - and most guards just look at you blankly when you ask why it isnt working.

I've contacted customer service about it and they just fob you off with customer service cut and paste rubbish.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 4:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
HEX is a joke. The four previous trips I have taken, there has been no wifi and no power. I complained each time and they gave me a free single (again, for a train which has no wifi and no power!)
Old Nov 12, 2013, 7:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, LH FT, Accor Plat
I didn't even know that HEX had wifi. Is it only in first class?
Old Feb 10, 2014, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Back over next week, any riders in the new year that can comment on wifi? Cheers.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 2:16 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
The WiFi on HEx was not definitely working my various trips in January. I had missed this thread--I thought it was just my various devices not being able to pick up the signal (which was always an issue with Hex WiFi).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.