FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Heathrow Express - No wifi until January 2014 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1520689-heathrow-express-no-wifi-until-january-2014-a.html)

Bloomsbury Nov 11, 2013 3:00 pm

Heathrow Express - No wifi until January 2014

FYI: Heathrow Express wifi is likely to be offline until some time in January 2014.

I noticed my phone couldn't find it over the past weeks or so, so today asked the guard if it was down. He informed me that the whole system will be offline until some time in January due to a major upgrade. In January, all carriages will be getting upgraded (I'm not sure if that's just the wifi or other stuff too) and the new system will be much better (apparently).

Why that means it has to be offline now, I don't know. I didn't want to grill the chap about it. But think it's pretty poor show considering the recent fare increase... you'd assume they knew this would be happening then.

Anyway, just thought people might be interested to know. I can imagine first class ticket holders being pretty annoyed, as I often see them on their laptops and tablets crunching last minute emails.

allturnleft Nov 11, 2013 3:09 pm

Even the TV doesn't work any more! The most expensive train in the UK!

paulwuk Nov 11, 2013 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by allturnleft (Post 21767081)
Even the TV doesn't work any more! The most expensive train in the UK!

That's a good thing.

The lack of wifi and power though should mean a refund.

seanp7 Nov 11, 2013 3:51 pm

The wifi has never worked on any of my trips. Never.

DominicB Nov 11, 2013 4:00 pm

I've not had working wifi for at least two years!

themapelligroup Nov 11, 2013 4:05 pm

I noticed it too in my recent trips. I don't really need wifi for 15 minutes as I can use 3G, but it's appalling that they don't even inform people of this lack of service. With the price they charge for a ride it would be the minimum.

layz Nov 11, 2013 6:10 pm

East Coast are also launching upgraded wifi in 2014. But the current (slow) system will continue to work in the meantime. I can't see why the HEX can't do the same.

I've never had the need to use wifi on the HEX but those that do will see it as a deterioration in their overpriced service.

I don't think the TV's add much these days. I liked the old 'Express Facts' and the BBC News. I don't know if it's just a coincidence but the BBC News on the Heathrow Express seemed to be more updated than Sky News which replaced it - as we all know Sky likes to be first with breaking news so it looks like HEX just wasn't getting updates as often, probably cost savings.

chistery Nov 12, 2013 12:27 am

Looks like all mention of wifi has been removed from their website too.

BahrainLad Nov 12, 2013 2:33 am

Wifi on Hex has always been next to useless, normally because it takes you at least 5 minutes to be able to register for it!

What HEx needs is fast, free wifi with no sign up page. Just something that works. God knows we pay enough for (an increasingly overcrowded at peak times) service.

paulwuk Nov 12, 2013 3:06 am

Originally Posted by BahrainLad (Post 21769602)
Wifi on Hex has always been next to useless, normally because it takes you at least 5 minutes to be able to register for it!

What HEx needs is fast, free wifi with no sign up page. Just something that works. God knows we pay enough for (an increasingly overcrowded at peak times) service.

If its overcrowded, it's probably underpriced. It's not like there's a shortage of other routes (Underground, Connect, Taxi)

I assume you don't fill in real details on the signup page? My browser has [email protected] autofilled, it's probably quicker than getting a connection at lounges.

GavT_london Nov 12, 2013 3:25 am

Originally Posted by DominicB (Post 21767384)
I've not had working wifi for at least two years!

i second that - and most guards just look at you blankly when you ask why it isnt working.

I've contacted customer service about it and they just fob you off with customer service cut and paste rubbish.

stu1985 Nov 12, 2013 4:14 am

HEX is a joke. The four previous trips I have taken, there has been no wifi and no power. I complained each time and they gave me a free single (again, for a train which has no wifi and no power!)

britishchris Nov 12, 2013 7:55 am

I didn't even know that HEX had wifi. Is it only in first class?

kirkwoodj Feb 10, 2014 1:05 pm

Back over next week, any riders in the new year that can comment on wifi? Cheers.

chalf Feb 10, 2014 2:16 pm

The WiFi on HEx was not definitely working my various trips in January. I had missed this thread--I thought it was just my various devices not being able to pick up the signal (which was always an issue with Hex WiFi).