Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

9 hours at Changi....any ideas to pass the time?

Old Nov 10, 2013, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL/GGL/CCR, BA Amex, Quidco, IHG Spire, Hotels.com Reinstated Gold)

On a return to the UK, will be in F on BA on the way home. Should I sit tight at the airport or venture further afield?

Any suggestions gratefully received
Old Nov 10, 2013, 2:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
What a coincidence, but yes i would leave.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...n-flights.html
Old Nov 10, 2013, 3:07 pm

I would leave too. Lots to see and do in Singapore and it's all within reasonable distance.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Remember that arrivals & departures at SIN are mixed so you should be OK to access a lounge if you need to freshen up on arrival.

Definitely head into town. I assume you land 2pm-ish. If you're a first time visitor, I'd suggest heading down to clarke quay and taking a bum-boat ride along the river. Grab some food from a hawker centre (Lau Pau Sat would be obvious at that end of town) then maybe go for a couple of drinks some place with a view - top of the Stamford or the Marina Bay Sands.

You've also got some time for a bit of shopping but you would need to decide roughly what you want to buy to narrow things down a bit. Grab a taxi back to the airport about 9pm, time for a shower and quick drink in the lounge etc then onto the flight. Security is done at the gate so this can be a bit of a bottle neck - not sure if BA have a separate lane for F, but if they allow Gold, Silver & Club in there too, it's probably not going to save you any time.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 3:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Remember that arrivals & departures at SIN are mixed so you should be OK to access a lounge if you need to freshen up on arrival.

Definitely head into town. I assume you land 2pm-ish. If you're a first time visitor, I'd suggest heading down to clarke quay and taking a bum-boat ride along the river. Grab some food from a hawker centre (Lau Pau Sat would be obvious at that end of town) then maybe go for a couple of drinks some place with a view - top of the Stamford or the Marina Bay Sands.

You've also got some time for a bit of shopping but you would need to decide roughly what you want to buy to narrow things down a bit. Grab a taxi back to the airport about 9pm, time for a shower and quick drink in the lounge etc then onto the flight. Security is done at the gate so this can be a bit of a bottle neck - not sure if BA have a separate lane for F, but if they allow Gold, Silver & Club in there too, it's probably not going to save you any time.
Never a separate lane, one lane into the holding pen. Then a 10 min wait before boarding normally.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 3:27 pm

Changi is one of the best airports going - I was there a month or so ago (flying Singapore not BA). It has a butterfly garden, koi carp ponds etc in departures but I'd still try and get into town if you can as it'll not take too long. Clarke Quay and Marina Bay Sands are both good shouts.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 3:45 pm

What time of day are you going to be there?
Old Nov 10, 2013, 3:58 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
A nice Singapore sling in the long bar at Raffles Hotel wouldn't be a bad use of time.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 3:59 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Duplicate
Old Nov 10, 2013, 4:10 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
A nice Singapore sling in the long bar at Raffles Hotel wouldn't be a bad use of time.
I agree, or Tiffin if that's appropriate for the time of day.

Personally I'd take the MRT (metro) to the Botanic Gardens (change at Paya Lebar), have a few hours absorbing tropical nature with some daylight and light exercise, then MRT or taxi to the Raffles to undo the good work.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony

Definitely head into town. I assume you land 2pm-ish. If you're a first time visitor, I'd suggest heading down to clarke quay and taking a bum-boat ride along the river. Grab some food from a hawker centre (Lau Pau Sat would be obvious at that end of town)

Security is done at the gate so this can be a bit of a bottle neck - not sure if BA have a separate lane for F, but if they allow Gold, Silver & Club in there too, it's probably not going to save you any time.
Lau pa Sat closed for renovations. Another few weeks until it opens.

Priority boarding terrible in SIN for BA. Everyone through the 2 security lanes, boarding pass check - Y to the right and priority to the left but given it's just after security there is never a queue. Last month for boarding F could use 1L and everyone else used 2L so that backed up all the way back into the holding pen. It got so bad that F couldn't get to the IL jetty. SQ splits j and. F to the 1st jetty and it works for everyone.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 4:25 pm

Programs: BA gold
Originally Posted by Jenzo
Never a separate lane, one lane into the holding pen. Then a 10 min wait before boarding normally.
Never used/seen a separate lane at SIN on OW until last month and used a priority lane at a low numbered C-gate just to the left of the airline desks.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Stez
Never used/seen a separate lane at SIN on OW until last month and used a priority lane at a low numbered C-gate just to the left of the airline desks.
Flew BA twice out of SIN in the last week and there is definitely a priority security lane now, although it just feeds you into the regular scanners ahead of the rest.

Not as if it really matters as far as missing the flight is concerned though; I cant see them closing the doors on a queue of passengers waiting to get into the holding pen.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 12:42 am

Programs: BA gold
Originally Posted by phol
Not as if it really matters as far as missing the flight is concerned though; I cant see them closing the doors on a queue of passengers waiting to get into the holding pen.
Indeed, there was one particular BA departure that I remember that was well over two hours late because security screening took so long and I was at the end of the queue.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 6:52 am

There is also a free tour into the city check it out on the airport website

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.