Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Piccadilly line disruption (planned engineering work) [9/10 Nov]

Old Nov 9, 13, 3:10 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance

In case some of you are travelling to/from LHR this weekend, just a reminder to allow extra time or use HEX/HCON if needed as there is no Heathrow branch Piccadilly Line service between Hammersmith and Osterley.

Replacement bus service from T5 (and T4) to Hammersmith or T1/T3 to Gunnersbury or Osterley, or from Gunnersbury on District Line to T5 and other Heathrow terminals.

Edited to add the following information:

Caution about Gunnersbury. I don't think there are lifts or escalators. There were a lot of people struggling with the stairs with luggage. If you take this route, remember that you are likely to have to drag your luggage up the stairs. If you have a lot of luggage, I suggest using the HEX/HCON.

T5 to Hammersmith bus leaves from around Bus Stop 2. When you exit the door near the tube one, turn right and the buses are there. Service is frequent so don't worry too much if you can't get on the first bus.

For Gunnersbury to LHR one, out of the station, turn right. It's just beyond the first bus stop you will see there. Again, service is frequent so don't freak if you can't get on the first bus. There are two separate services, one for T5 and T4, and another for T1 and T3.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Nov 9, 13 at 10:29 pm
Old Nov 9, 13, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA: Executive Platinum, SPG: Ambassador, Marriott: Platinum Elite
Thanks for the info, probably will take HEX tomorrow
Old Nov 9, 13, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
I miss the days when Piccadilly engineering works meant free HEX travel with the wave of an Ouster card.
Old Nov 9, 13, 4:29 pm

Location: in your favourite lounge, clearing the whole buffet
Programs: LH Maximizer of the year, BA Blue Label killer
How long does the bus from Gunnersbury take from there to T5? Dunno if I should take Heathrow Connect or the replacement bus tomorrow.
Old Nov 9, 13, 5:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Note to mods: this is also scheduled for next (16/17 Nov) weekend.
Old Nov 9, 13, 9:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Silver, Accor Silver, FB Ivory, Miles&More
Wasn't aware of the works, so got caught yesterday... The bus from Gunnersbury to T5 takes about 15 min. One piece of advice, change from the Piccadilly to the District line at Barons Court (connection on same platform). All in all, the journey from St-Pancras to T5 took about 10 min more than usual!
Old Nov 9, 13, 9:56 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by frdv View Post
Wasn't aware of the works, so got caught yesterday... The bus from Gunnersbury to T5 takes about 15 min. One piece of advice, change from the Piccadilly to the District line at Barons Court (connection on same platform). All in all, the journey from St-Pancras to T5 took about 10 min more than usual!
Ended up taking about 30-35 min from Gunnerbury to T5 due to traffic yesterday evening.

However T5 to Hammersmith in the morning (about 10 am) was 22 minutes which was shorter than the tube ride (in fact London Underground staff members were giggling about the time saving when I asked how long the journey was expected to be).

If someone forgets to change at Barons Court, Hammersmith also enables change to the District Line on the same platform (at least, it is at the moment).

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Nov 9, 13 at 10:28 pm
Old Nov 10, 13, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by Jordan D View Post
Note to mods: this is also scheduled for next (16/17 Nov) weekend.
Thanks for the heads up - car service now duly booked instead for next weekend
Old Nov 10, 13, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
However T5 to Hammersmith in the morning (about 10 am) was 22 minutes ....
I was less lucky - at 1.30 pm it took 50 minutes. The M4 was very busy.
Old Nov 10, 13, 3:40 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Unfortunately, I did not read my weekly TfL email when I was in the US...

Landed back yesterday from JFK and boarded the tube to hear the announcement. Got off at Osterley and lugged my suitcase up the stairs. To be fair, there was a porter assisting people. Boarded a bus, which went a very interesting way around west London as it tried to keep roughly to the Piccadilly line route. Was very pleased to get off.

There were lots of staff to assist and guide people, but not a great start to my day or welcome to London for many.
Old Nov 10, 13, 3:55 am

Programs: BA Gold. Iberia Plus Blue, Miles and More Blue, Gulf Blue, Tesco Clubcard, Elite PAL Mabuhay
Originally Posted by layz View Post
I miss the days when Piccadilly engineering works meant free HEX travel with the wave of an Ouster card.
Trouble was this cost TfL big money to pay HEX.
Old Nov 10, 13, 7:48 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Gold, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
Great planning for HEX to be running short trains today - not everyone who arrived in time got on the 1440 because it was full. The 1455 just pulling in was also a short train. Don't these people talk to each other?
Old Nov 11, 13, 2:49 am

Programs: HH D,CC,SPG,AZ: Gold;BA Silver, TK Elite
Landed yesterday at T5, took the replacement bus to Hammersmith around 9pm - took me and my OH about 30 minutes to arrive there, even quicker than the tube