Wiki Posts
Search

BA Gold or UA 1K

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2013, 8:09 am
Original Poster

BA Gold or UA 1K

Hi,

I have 4-5 longhaul r/t in J upcoming that could either lift me from UA Gold to 1K or bring me BA Gold. I am Germany based and travel 60% intra Europe and 40% TATL, with a 50/50 mix J/Y.

I am drawn by UA only for the 6 GPUs after Miles were devalued last week. Also I already hold Senator status with LH.
BA would give me Status also on another Alliance and Avios are quite useful for intra Europe awards. Not sure about the value of Avios for longhaul Awards.

I need to book all my travel by tomorrow and I can't make up my mind what to go for

Any help or Input especially regarding BA Gold is highly appreciated!

Cheers
Old Nov 6, 2013, 8:28 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Red, IHG Platinum
Go for BA Gold.
The Reward Flight Saver fixed taxes make using your miles for trips around Europe worthwhile, as does the flexibility you have with these bookings by virtue of being gold. You can cancel and change bookings with no penalties until close to travel.

If you area already Senator then another alliance will be a great tool to add to your belt.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Yes, that is also what I thought. Also, I have to admit my OW exposure intra Europe is quite limited except for AB. I am TXL based and my company has a contract with LH.

But i guess BA Gold for almost 2 years outweighs the value of another *G despite the 6 Vouchers.

Only thing, that really annoys me, is the no advance seat reservations policy, even in CW. I am buying a J ticket for almost 7k Euro and I will end up with a rear facing middle seat.. Makes 0 sense to me

Btw. is there better Award availability as a BA Gold also on J/F redemptions?

Thanks
Old Nov 6, 2013, 10:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by ded0r
Yes, that is also what I thought. Also, I have to admit my OW exposure intra Europe is quite limited except for AB. I am TXL based and my company has a contract with LH.

But i guess BA Gold for almost 2 years outweighs the value of another *G despite the 6 Vouchers.

Only thing, that really annoys me, is the no advance seat reservations policy, even in CW. I am buying a J ticket for almost 7k Euro and I will end up with a rear facing middle seat.. Makes 0 sense to me

Btw. is there better Award availability as a BA Gold also on J/F redemptions?

Thanks
There is an advance seat reservation policy, you can pay £60. A small fraction compared to 7k euros. On your second trip you will already be Bronze, at which point you will be able to select for free within 7 days. On the following trip you wil be silver and be able to select seats at booking.

Basic Gold gives you extra availability in economy and gives you the option to pay 2x miles for a guaranteed reward seat in other classes.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 10:27 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Full fare J gives free seat selection at the time of purchase. It is actually a major advantage to business customers buying full fare tickets and those with status to have a lot more seat options than if anyone could allocate seats for free.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by britbronco22
There is an advance seat reservation policy, you can pay £60. A small fraction compared to 7k euros. On your second trip you will already be Bronze, at which point you will be able to select for free within 7 days. On the following trip you wil be silver and be able to select seats at booking.

Basic Gold gives you extra availability in economy and gives you the option to pay 2x miles for a guaranteed reward seat in other classes.
Thanks for the info ^

Problem with the 60 pounds is that my company won't pay for that, I would have to pay it myself. Still find that policy ridicolous for J tickets. But yes, I am still happy to give BA a try
Old Nov 6, 2013, 10:32 am

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY

Thanks
On a slightly pedantic note, it's fair to point out that fully flex J fares do include seat selection at no charge. Also, semi-flex euro fares within 48 hrs of departure.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...sing-your-seat

As you might imagine, this subject has been discussed to death here over the years and a consensus never emerges

hth
Old Nov 6, 2013, 11:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, SQ PPS, EK Silver, Marriott Gold, Priority Club Gold
UA 1K gets you in all star alliance business class lounges
whereas
BA Gold gets you in all one world First class lounges!

That does it for me.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
You are assuming the GPUs will be easy to use on UA. Definitely a case of YMMV. Mrs Schmidt was 1K for a couple of years. We did manage to use them successfully for TATL upgrades, but it meant buying a higher base fare, and we generally also had to compromise on our routing to get to where we wanted.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 11:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Originally Posted by CRH81
UA 1K gets you in all star alliance business class lounges
whereas
BA Gold gets you in all one world First class lounges!

That does it for me.
Agreed. OP already has status with Star, BA Gold would extremely come in hand.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I'd say it all depends where you fly intra Europe. BA/OW are fantastic for longhaul travel but I am not sure where is it that you need to fly intra-Europe that BA/OW can suit your needs.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 2:52 pm

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 2:22 am
Old Nov 6, 2013, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
One slightly counterintuitive option for you, if you are planning to fly as much next year and since system-wide upgrades are important to you, is to:

1. Go for UA 1K, which I agree doesn't have the value it used to.
2. Sign up for a challenge to AA ExPlat.
3. Enjoy your six SWUs with UA and your eight SWUs with AA, as well as First Class lounge access as OWE.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 2:51 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
2. Sign up for a challenge to AA ExPlat.
3. Enjoy your six SWUs with UA and your eight SWUs with AA, as well as First Class lounge access as OWE.
Does AA currently offer an EXP Challenge?
Old Nov 7, 2013, 2:55 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by nux
Does AA currently offer an EXP Challenge?
I was under the impression you could always pay to do an EXP challenge on AA if you hold elite UA or DL status? This is (or at least so I always thought) why BA doesn't look upon EXP as an equal to Gold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.