FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Lack of poppies at T5 and onboard (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1518306-lack-poppies-t5-onboard.html)

Bloomsbury Nov 3, 2013 12:31 pm

Lack of poppies at T5 and onboard

I noticed that this year barely any BA employees are wearing Remembrance poppies, so I asked one of the cabin crew (in a polite manner) if it was due to BA policy, thinking it might be due to hassles they've had in the past with staff clothing policies.

Apparently it's not that BA have told staff not to wear them, it's simply that in previous years there were opportunities for staff to buy poppies at the airport, whereas this year she said that she hadn't seen any available there.

If so, it's a bit disappointing considering that in the past BA has even had special remembrance livery planes. This year they appear to have focused on Movember instead.

Would be nice to see BA supplying poppies or at least making them available to staff who want to wear them.

SpeedBird17Victor Nov 3, 2013 12:35 pm

So what if there are none at the airport? There are plenty in every shop!

SpeedBird17Victor Nov 3, 2013 12:36 pm

Then again, to some its still early- Usually they start in the first few days in November, I start wearing mine tomorrow, simply because I haven't really been out much the past few days...

FlyerTalker688786 Nov 3, 2013 12:36 pm

I suggest you to buy a tons of poppies and to donate them to any BA employee who wants to wear it next year, if you really care about this issue.

It is all too easy to criticize others for not doing anything which is not obligated by any means.

If you felt so strongly about it, take it to your own hand.

exilencfc Nov 3, 2013 12:42 pm

The start does vary. I picked mine up over a week ago while I was out of town but poppy sales have only really started in the past couple of days around here.

Genius1 Nov 3, 2013 12:43 pm

Poppies have been available over the weekend in T5, being sold by volunteers as usual.

Bloomsbury Nov 3, 2013 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Genius1 (Post 21720129)
Poppies have been available over the weekend in T5, being sold by volunteers as usual.

Good to know! Thanks.

I flew out on Friday. They seemed to be pretty common around the city, so perhaps that gave me a false impression of how many people had got them yet.

layz Nov 3, 2013 1:24 pm

They were also selling them in T3 on Friday (landside).

Also there was a collection point with some poppies laid out airside, relying on the honesty of people to put a donation in the box, but hopefully most people would do so.

simons1 Nov 3, 2013 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by chongcao (Post 21720098)
I suggest you to buy a tons of poppies and to donate them to any BA employee who wants to wear it next year, if you really care about this issue.

It is all too easy to criticize others for not doing anything which is not obligated by any means.

If you felt so strongly about it, take it to your own hand.

Of course each to their own, there is no obligation, but the 'I didn't see anywhere selling them' line is a bit feeble.

They have been on sale for over a week in towns, villages and cities up and down the country since at least last Saturday.

If you feel so strongly about it, it's better for those concerned just to give an honest answer that that they decided not to buy rather than give some half baked excuse.

tuff Nov 3, 2013 1:59 pm

I noticed at T5 yesterday that some of the cabin crew emerging from that door near gate 21 were wearing poppies. I thought that they should be worn on the left but the pilots seemed to have them on the right.

jdbelfast Nov 3, 2013 2:17 pm

well played BA! I don't think anyone should be forced to wear any emblem like these. The idea of an employer "supplying to those who want to wear" is that it is often viewed as an expectation that all should wear. It is also important to remember BA lost a high profile case involving prohibiting a symbol being worn, so are probably wary of seeimg to be endorsing another symbol being worn.

jacobitetraveller Nov 3, 2013 2:27 pm

it is entirely up to each individual whether or not they wear a poppy

I have seen on sale [donation] in several locations

I tend to start wearing one about a week before 11/11 but also depending where and when I find them available

if I have a button hole its fine but if not it is more awkward to attach them since they apparently banned the pins the sticky ones are useless

The _Banking_Scot Nov 3, 2013 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by jacobitetraveller (Post 21720563)
it is entirely up to each individual whether or not they wear a poppy

I have seen on sale [donation] in several locations

I tend to start wearing one about a week before 11/11 but also depending where and when I find them available

if I have a button hole its fine but if not it is more awkward to attach them since they apparently banned the pins the sticky ones are useless

Hi,

I got my poppy at Tesco customer service and they had a separate pack of pins to use with the poppies

Regards

TBS

Royce Nov 3, 2013 2:47 pm

There were none last weekend in T1, either at WH Smith, Boots, or wherever I could look. This was after the appeal had started in earnest, and I needed one to wear. In the end, I had to visit the British shop in Lux to get one.

Incidentally, the Germans, Luxembourgers and French that I know received it very well, the only resentment I had was from a Northern Irish barman in an expat pub. I'm never drinking there again.

jacobitetraveller Nov 3, 2013 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot (Post 21720634)
Hi,

I got my poppy at Tesco customer service and they had a separate pack of pins to use with the poppies

Regards

TBS

I will look out for separate pins