Lack of poppies at T5 and onboard

Old Nov 8, 13, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA gold, *A gold, SPG silver, HHonors gold
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
Sofitel t5 reception has the metal pin version available if anyone is looking for one at T5.
Presumably illegal to take through security?!
Old Nov 8, 13, 2:59 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by dubbin View Post
Presumably illegal to take through security?!
Then air crew members cannot wear their wings either. Or ground staff their BA pins.

I do not see any reason a small lapel pin could not possibly be allowed when the allow a pair of scissors with blades up to 6 cm.
Old Nov 8, 13, 3:49 pm

Programs: BAEC, KOP 305
Final year of the poppy

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...y-leslie-smith
Old Nov 8, 13, 11:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA, AF, LH
Interesting thread.

I think it is perfectly fine for a country to remember its war dead.

I think it is perfectly fine for a charity to have it's flag day to collect funds.

But the poppy thing has being overtaken by societies peer pressure so that it is now a symbol of nationalism that all must adhere to.

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post

In recent years I've worn my poppy flying into Dublin, Belfast, Luxembourg and many other places. It raises smiles in Canada and Australia, questions in the USA and the Middle East, supportive gestures in the Netherlands. The only time I felt uncomfortable wearng it was in Dresden, for obvious reasons, but that was my own thoughts, not anything that anyone local said or did.
You seem like a nice guy reading these forums but why wear such a symbol into such a city? Why wear it to Germany but especially Dresden?

Originally Posted by shogan1977 View Post
IMO they have become to GB what flag pins (and/or "support the troops" yellow ribbons) became in the US - must be worn by all public figures whether they want to or not.
I agree. It is funny watching Martin O'Neill from The heart land of GAA in Co. Derry wearing a poppy with Roy Keane from Cork (the rebel county) wearing an other one on ITV. What is that about? Wear a poppy today were they are from and youd get a good kicking. Their press conference today in Dublin will have one thing missing and thats a poppy.

Originally Posted by h15t0r1an View Post
It's very important not to forget as the generations who actually experienced each conflict leave us.
Don't worry. Every generation brings around a British Prime Minister who finds an excuse for another ruccus somewhere in the world.

So I think BA is doing the right thing in trying not to rub up most of the rest of the world. Give to charity. Commemorate your dead but please don't push in to our faces. Thanks
Old Nov 9, 13, 3:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Pogmothoin View Post
....why wear such a symbol into such a city? Why wear it to Germany but especially Dresden?
Well I did um and err about it for quite some time, but on balance I thought it would be hypocritical to take it off specifically in Dresden. The victims of Dresden were as much part of the horrific sacrifice made in the name of freedom as those who fought. I did feel uncomfortable about it, I had recently read some Kurt Vonnegut and it was difficult to get beyond feelings of shame and guilt, but as mentioned elsewhere, the local reaction was 101% positive. One young German approached me in the street and asked me how he could buy a Poppy.

Their press conference today in Dublin will have one thing missing and thats a poppy.
There is of course an Irish version of the Poppy, which isn't very visible apart perhaps from the 3,700 Republic of Ireland citizens currently serving in the UK Forces, but it has the shamrock fronted by the poppy and raises money specifically for the many tens of thousands Irish veterans still alive.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Nov 9, 13 at 3:38 am Reason: URL added
Old Nov 14, 13, 5:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
You seem like a nice guy reading these forums but why wear such a symbol into such a city? Why wear it to Germany but especially Dresden?
I agree with most of your post, except for this bit. Why not wear it in Germany? Surely Germans should be particularly grateful for the sacrifices of British soldiers, and from my experience they mostly are, especially the younger generations.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: