Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BAEC is looking very good these days in comparison to other FFP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BAEC is looking very good these days in comparison to other FFP

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2013, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
* ... I'd comfortable qualify for Gold on my lens spend
Should've have gone to Specsavers.

Yup, I know where my coat is, thanks.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Given the nature of the most popular threads on this forum (Tesco, cheap tier point runs etc.) I imagine Flyertalk doesn't really attract those who earn status or Avios that easily anyway.
That may very well be true.

And more's the pity, because FlyerTalk used to. And there was then so much to learn from them which is no longer available here.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Globaliser
That may very well be true.

And more's the pity, because FlyerTalk used to. And there was then so much to learn from them which is no longer available here.
More's the pity for a few yes but I would say that the changes within the BAEC are just being reflected on this forum.....evolution of a loyalty programme?

I can't help but think some peoples aversion to the Tesco partnership is aimed more at the success of the brand itself rather than those who earn Avios by shopping there.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Lacking a Tesco, or any other monster Avios-generating facility apart from my free Ł1-1 BA Amex I'm not sure quite where I sit in this debate. Perhaps the assorted UK mainland deals have been over-emphasised here?

We buy tickets from BA, using our BA Amex. They give us Avios for that, and when we fly we earn TPs ... And more Avios. If we fly enough, we get BAEC status (a bit). We spend abroad on Amex, which gives us Avios. The OH shops at Waitrose on the Amex, which gives us Avios. We give these earned Avios back to BA to upgrade the cabin we fly in. And the wheel goes round.

I don't think BA would provide this facility if they didn't think it was worth their while. They have, essentially, bribed us to keep flying BA as much as possible instead of looking elsewhere. I am a 'bought man'. And I have no complaints at all, as I reckon both BA and I are winners. They get my loyalty, and cash. I get benefits I had never dreamed of at no personal cost. What's not to like?
Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
With the likes of LH,AC and UA seemingly trying their very best to cull their elites is there going to be a mass exodus to OW FFPs? Could put a strain on already tight award availability (especially TATL) but have to give credit to BAEC for actually improving the Avios program 2 years ago. Definitely is the best for me and that is quite telling considering I live in Canada which isn't exactly a OW stronghold.^

Glad I made the decision to concentrate strictly on BA and OW from Oct.9 on.
UA is still better due to no YQ.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:49 am

It seems the more likely problem is just that BA doesn't release that many reward seats. Let's not forget that flying is still a big deal to a lot of people. A once a year treat, if that. Flying premium is an even bigger deal. That's if they're even flying long haul, considering any source I can find says the most popular holiday destinations for Brits are mostly in Europe. The often complained about Sydney doesn't even hit the chart until 20, Cape Town is 33, etc.

I'm fairly sure if you stripped out all the Tesco/credit card users, you'd still have trouble finding your desired seats. It's just the nature of the beast.

Ultimately though, why judge someone on how they've accrued their Avios? It represents hard work on their part somewhere or another. It's really quite disturbing to see people wanting to hoard away all their privileges for themselves.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by TATLTale
It seems the more likely problem is just that BA doesn't release that many reward seats. Let's not forget that flying is still a big deal to a lot of people. A once a year treat, if that. Flying premium is an even bigger deal. That's if they're even flying long haul, considering any source I can find says the most popular holiday destinations for Brits are mostly in Europe. The often complained about Sydney doesn't even hit the chart until 20, Cape Town is 33, etc.

I'm fairly sure if you stripped out all the Tesco/credit card users, you'd still have trouble finding your desired seats. It's just the nature of the beast.

Ultimately though, why judge someone on how they've accrued their Avios? It represents hard work on their part somewhere or another. It's really quite disturbing to see people wanting to hoard away all their privileges for themselves.
British Behaviour Abroad

(there are several longhaul destinations, including Canada, India, China (not sure if this includes or excludes HK/Macau?), Phillipines, Australia, USA, Pakistan, Thailand, NZ, UAE/Egypt (though this again is a maybe considering 7 hours isn't that long.)
That is a majority with 11/20.
The rest are in Europe (I included Turkey in Europe for convenience purposes.)
Old Nov 5, 2013, 9:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
* Executive Club is a frequent FLYER scheme. Not a frequent chiseller of Tesco Clubcard loophole scheme. It's not often I feel sorry for Silvers but having all your award availability hoovered up by Tesco tourists must be very frustrating.
The problem appears to be that people find it hard to separate Avios and the EC - they're not the same thing.

EC is what BA set up to encourage loyalty and it happens to include giving flyers a currency (Avios) which is just one of a series of benefits. The simple fact is that that currency isn't only available via BA but also other via other methods - so why is earning that currency via flying any more worthy than earning it elsewhere (Tesco etc...)?
Old Nov 5, 2013, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routičres, PCR
The naysayers - 'Tesco tourists', indeed - should take a look at a programme where mileage life (to say nothing of status) rests entirely on qualifying flights on alliance airlines, and I'm not sure that all those flights earn status when they earn zero miles.

It's the terminal Flying Blue programme and mileage life depends on flying a member airline at least once every 20 months. I was happy to be KLM Royal Wing for a number of years, and Flying Dutchman was my FFP of choice. Since the disaster of AF and KL combining to offer Flying Blue, I'm about to become Ivory (= BA Blue equivalent). My miles have almost all been redeemed and I will probably never fly AF or KL again. Any built-up loyalty disappeared a long time ago, as did my numerous short haul intra-European flights from STN, but that's another story.

OTOH we were banned from flying BA back in the late 90's for cost reasons unless there was no alternative. Had BA retained its fly business/expensive Y policy to join the EC, BA would have far fewer members in our organisation. As it is, joining credentials were relaxed. Other people joined with cheap economy tickets and most are now at least silver, several gold, as their travel pattern increased to encompass CW.

Silver and gold require flying rather than Tesco or e-shops spend. The others use the company Visa so no Avios there. (I've tried to convert them. ) They do get hotel credits, a universal element of FFPs.

Yes, there are occasional gripes - why have RFS redemptions increased the cash component? why can't I get 2x CW redemptions to CPT? - but most won't bother with other FFPs, especially with the 'enhancements' now being made to Miles&Less and US programmes.

Sure, BA make mistakes from time to time, but the Executive Club keeps bouncing along.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
What am I:
- All my BA travel is discretionary, whether business or leisure as I'm a contractor and use my own company. So when flying LHR-MAN for business it's my decision to choose BA over VS Little Red or the train. I'm not billing the clients for my travel separately so any savings I make goes to me. I made gold through my own travel choices.

- I still have the avios habit, maximising Tesco deals, maximising my credit card spend, etc. I'm earning Avios quicker than I can spend them.

So I'm a gold, leisure flyer with a Tesco fetish
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:47 am

For me, it's AC's 777HD and the misery from CDG due to so many issues which has resulted in booking more BA flights. Now there is a rumour that the only other CDG from on AC may also become 777HD, so that means that I need to find an alternative CDG-North America routing.

I used to fill up my UA account first, but connecting via the US is miserable, even as a German with Global Entry.

LH is ok, but the seats are still hit or miss for new C.

So, BA has my business since even living in FlyingBlue territory, I avoid FlyingBlue whenever I can.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exbayern
For me, it's AC's 777HD and the misery from CDG due to so many issues which has resulted in booking more BA flights. Now there is a rumour that the only other CDG from on AC may also become 777HD, so that means that I need to find an alternative CDG-North America routing.

I used to fill up my UA account first, but connecting via the US is miserable, even as a German with Global Entry.

LH is ok, but the seats are still hit or miss for new C.

So, BA has my business since even living in FlyingBlue territory, I avoid FlyingBlue whenever I can.
Keep in mind fare rules may allow you to route via LHR/FRA/MUC/DUS/VIE to your TATL sector on AC.
For TATL DL also offers a good hard product IMO but dealing with SkyPesos....
Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Keep in mind fare rules may allow you to route via LHR/FRA/MUC/DUS/VIE to your TATL sector on AC.
For TATL DL also offers a good hard product IMO but dealing with SkyPesos....
True, but I try and limit to two legs when possible. The AC/US combination was generally useful and the change at YUL relatively painless. Changing at MUC is similarly easy although it requires back tracking. Changing at LHR is something I do at least once a month, so not too difficult for me, but in the end it all depends on the final destination, I suppose.

I still have options if I want to avoid the 777HD, but for now BA will benefit over any Skyteam player.

I'm still up in the air as to how I will start to credit in 2014, as for upcoming trips BA is definitely pricing out more expensive on North American long haul.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.