Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts on SIN - SYD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2013, 4:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Thoughts on SIN - SYD

This cannot really be classed as a TR but I did have some thoughts (few of them positive) about a recent trip with my husband on BA15. We had been in Singapore for a few days at my law firm's annual partners' meeting and were going on to Sydney for a week's R&R so it counts as a stand alone flight. I was not over impressed.

The timings and flight time are the rough equivalent of JFK-LHR overnight and it was against this I was comparing it.

Lounges The BA one did not have as wide a range of food as either JFK or any of the lounges in T5 in London. There was no pre-flight dining, which meant that if one wanted to eat one was dependent on the on-board meal service.

In-Flight Service Timing This was sooooo slooooow. I have nothing against the food that I got (so far as I could tell no menu cards had been loaded so the crew had to show each punter a handwritten piece of A4 with the choices handwritten: these things happen and I doubt it slowed things down very much). But it was nearly three hours out of SIN befofe, even skipping desert, my meal tray was removed. This surely should be quicker on a short overnight flight.

Service Generally Brusque. Two points stand out. First, when my husband woke up in the middle of the short night, abandoned sleep and asked for a cup of tea the reaction from a crew member was one of complete startlement (if there is such a word) and query, "You want a cup of tea?", as if he had asked for braised elephant's trunk garni. Secondly, we were both dozing and the same crew member dragged us back to the land of the living with a loud "Duty Free? Sure you don't want any?". No, go away!!

At least there were bacon rolls.

I feel that if this service is to continue the whole way in which service is carried out might be looked at afresh. In particular pre flight dining and a speedier service on board. And some sort of arrivals lounge and fast track would be nice.

A last tip. Do not book seat 10K or I think 10A on the 777. I may be the only person in the entire civilised world not to know thatthere is a missing wondow at that point!

Last edited by hsmall; Oct 31, 2013 at 5:50 am
Old Oct 31, 2013, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
What date did you travel Harry?
When I have had the situation where no menus were loaded I made a brief PA before take off explaining the meal choices which helped to speed up taking the meal orders after takeoff.
You should have been given fast track forms for Sydney.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
The QF lounge is a much better choice than the BA lounge when in SIN.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 4:51 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by hsmall
In-Flight Service Timing This was sooooo slooooow. I have nothing against the food that I got in row 10 but (so far as I could tell no menu cards had been loaded so the crew had to show each punter a handwritten piece of A4 with the choices handwritten: these things happen and I doubt it slowed things down very much). But it was nearly three hours out of SIN befofe, even skipping desert, my meal tray was removed. This surely should be quicker on a short overnight flight.
The problem with the flight is that many people are still on UK time

Service Generally Brusque
Far too common. There are a handful of amazing crews, a few terrible crews, and the majority who are ok.

asked for a cup of tea
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFfn8L2saYI

"Duty Free? Sure you don't want any?"
Like ryanair scratchcards (and flying start chugging)
Old Oct 31, 2013, 5:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, Skywards, Hilton Honors and lots of other under-utilised Hotel Schemes
Isn't Duty Free cockney (Hounslow) rhyming slang for Cup of Tea
Old Oct 31, 2013, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by Can I help you
What date did you travel Harry?
This was the BA15 that left Singapore on Sunday 27/10.

When I have had the situation where no menus were loaded I made a brief PA before take off explaining the meal choices which helped to speed up taking the meal orders after takeoff.
No. They didn't think of that!

You should have been given fast track forms for Sydney.
We weren't, though TBH the fast and slow track queues looked much the same length at 0620...
Old Oct 31, 2013, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Interesting!
Old Oct 31, 2013, 7:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
The timings and flight time are the rough equivalent of JFK-LHR overnight and it was against this I was comparing it.

Lounges The BA one did not have as wide a range of food as either JFK or any of the lounges in T5 in London. There was no pre-flight dining, which meant that if one wanted to eat one was dependent on the on-board meal service.
I understand why you compare these two due to the flight timings but they are completely different markets, and frequency. BA has 2 flights to SIN, compared to JFK where there are 12 flights. This means BA will spend more on JFK lounges and the route is heavy with business PAX that need to be fed before due to the short sector, and with SIN-SYD ba probably just look at the people on BA15 going the whole way through and therefore they have been fed twice on the first sector already and dont/wont eat in the lounge.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 7:33 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
I have to admit I had an OK but not spectacular experience on my first LHR-SIN on Mixed Fleet recently (BA15). Crew attitude was fine, but seemed a bit overwhelmed (not great given that this flight often seems to be full or near full in F and Club).

In SIN, head for the QF lounge - could not be more different to the BA lounge. Much nicer environment, food cooked to order, and practically next door to the BA lounge in any event!
Old Oct 31, 2013, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by House

In SIN, head for the QF lounge - could not be more different to the BA lounge. Much nicer environment, food cooked to order, and practically next door to the BA lounge in any event!
The reason we didn't was that we had read (here?) that Qantas tried to push BA customers back into the BA lounge and I didn't want the hassle (despite being a litigator...).
Old Oct 31, 2013, 7:46 am

Programs: British Airways Silver, Tesco, BA Amex, Kris Flyer
Originally Posted by Genius1
The QF lounge is a much better choice than the BA lounge when in SIN.
I didn't even know there was a BA lounge in SIN. The QF lounge is really very good since the refurb.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jenzo
I understand why you compare these two due to the flight timings but they are completely different markets, and frequency. BA has 2 flights to SIN, compared to JFK where there are 12 flights. This means BA will spend more on JFK lounges and the route is heavy with business PAX that need to be fed before due to the short sector, and with SIN-SYD ba probably just look at the people on BA15 going the whole way through and therefore they have been fed twice on the first sector already and dont/wont eat in the lounge.
It would be interesting to see what proportion of pax are going all the way through as opposed to starting in SIN.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
The reason we didn't was that we had read (here?) that Qantas tried to push BA customers back into the BA lounge and I didn't want the hassle (despite being a litigator...).
Only an anecdote, but last month we were warmly welcomed into the QF lounge despite being in transit as through passengers on BA15.

A practical difficulty was that BA15 had arrived late and BA was trying to get it out as fast as possible. After entering it, we discovered that the QF lounge had no information about our BA flight, so we could not have known when boarding started. So after having the showers that we'd planned to have, but before sampling the food, we went over to the BA lounge after all so that we wouldn't run the risk of missing the flight.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 7:53 pm

I' flying down to SIN tomorrow to pick up BA15 down to SYD. I'll keep an eye out for the problems you mentioned, although the lounge situation is well known. QF is the best of a bad bunch. Not really sure why SIN keeps winning all the awards.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 8:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by phol
QF is the best of a bad bunch. Not really sure why SIN keeps winning all the awards.
I strongly disagree with this. The QF lounge is not the best of a bad bunch at SIN it is one of the best J lounges in the Oneworld network. As for SIN winning lots of awards, I'm not so sure either, but that's not related to the lounge situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.