Wiki Posts
Search

Inter-Continental Commuting on BA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2013, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA & BD Gold Once Upon a Time

Anyone done a weekly commute between UK and other continent on BA for an extended period (at least six months)?
Old Oct 29, 2013, 9:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
There's BA staff who commute via BA to LHR to report.

cs
Old Oct 29, 2013, 9:31 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB
Not continent, but UK-DK. 5+ years so far.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 11:08 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Im betting lcy-jfk is full of people doing just that!
Old Oct 29, 2013, 11:12 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 11:58 pm
Old Oct 29, 2013, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
LHR-MAN for a while when I was still living in Windsor, that was enough for me

I wouldn't want anything longer than a 3 hour weekly commute (what I did on the train a number of years when going between Newcastle and London), so an intercontinental commute, no way.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 11:28 am

Did London - NY not quite weekly but very frequently for about a year. That one isn't too bad as there are many options on flight times to make it work for your schedule and I didn't find the time change too bad. Usually UuA'd to CW on the way home to get quite a good sleep. I was glad of the weekends when I did stay in NY to be honest to properly catch up on sleep!

Having done a few London - Singapore trips recently I don't see how you'd do that weekly - the time change is a lot more noticeable and the flight length means that you'd only be working a four day week or loosing your weekend anyway. Also availability on direct flights in Business class is often difficult to come by at the last minute meaning changes if you finish up early / late haven't been an option which has been a bit frustrating.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 11:32 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by angatol
And still bronze?? You'll be lifetime gold before you make silver at this rate.
Weekly flights guarantee bronze at 3 months, silver at 6 months.

It will take 35 years of weekly commuting in discount ET to get lifetime gold.

Now if you're happy to go for daily commuting, say 45 weeks a year, 4 days a week, you'll be GGL after the second year, and hit LTG in under 10 years.

P.S. Intercontinental weekly commuting is easy -- I'm sure people cross the Bosporus for work every day!
Old Oct 29, 2013, 11:36 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 2:12 am
Old Oct 29, 2013, 11:39 am
formerly bdohmen

Programs: Still dealing with the loss of my BA Concorde Room Card

I have colleagues that do it almost weekly. I am currently on a monthly, though increasing to twice a month soon, so we will see how that goes.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 11:44 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Originally Posted by Oil-man
Anyone done a weekly commute between UK and other continent on BA for an extended period (at least six months)?
Depends how you regard our relationship with "the continent"

Joking apart I have just become an "every other weekend in Paris" commuter, and there are many thousands who do this in both directions I am sure. But inter-continental - doesn't appeal much!
Old Oct 29, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, GA PLAT, SQ Gold
I do GCI-LGW-LHR-HKG-CGK every two week , I have been doing that for close to 2.5 years..............

Before that i was doing PVG
Old Oct 29, 2013, 12:05 pm

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB
Originally Posted by angatol
And still bronze?? You'll be lifetime gold before you make silver at this rate.
BA forum...not quite a regular BA flyer. Held SAS EB Gold for each of those 5 years but have recently moved house (and geographical region) and now expect to fly BA more frequently....now if only they would status match to ease the transition
Old Oct 29, 2013, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
I did Hong Kong to London every two weeks for just over two years.

My firm had a board meeting every other Monday so I would leave home in South Bay at 9pm on Sunday, catch a midnight flight and be in The City first thing Monday. Would then go back to Heathrow, get the mid evening flight and be home in time to put the kids to bed on Tuesday.

This became a LOT easier when they introduced flat beds on this route, which dates me somewhat. But I was young then....
Old Oct 29, 2013, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Yes, I did LHR-JNB on Sunday, back on Thursday for quite a while. The flight timings, length (e.g. enough to get a proper night's sleep) and lack of time difference made it fine. Plus, I could do four days on the ground in SA each week, arriving in the office at 9am Monday, leaving at 5pm Thursday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.