Wiki Posts
Search

End of membership year

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2013, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, BA silver
End of membership year

The end of my membership years is 8 February. Am I correct that flights taken on 8 February count for the current membership year?

Also, if my flights on 8 February are delayed or canceled so that I end up flying on 9 february, can I expect BA to be reasonable and credit the flights to my current membership year? Or should I play it safe and book flights for 7 February (which would be rather more inconvient)?

TIA ^
Old Oct 22, 2013, 12:09 pm

Call BAEC and ask if they'll give you a short extension of your membership year, they quite often do.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA AB EY AA EK
You get a two week ext anyway
Old Oct 22, 2013, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Flights departing on the 8th count for your old year. Nicci has noted that an extension for up to two weeks can often (routinely?) be granted.
See also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ip+year+credit
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...year-ends.html
Old Oct 23, 2013, 3:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I am in the same situation, my membership year expires on December 8th by when I will be on 1490 tier points.

I have a flight in First on the December 18th, so I contacted the executive club and got an email saying,

"We can give a 2 week extension period from 8th December to earn the 1500 tier points that you need to renew your membership at Gold status.
Call the gold team once this travel is complete and they will look into your renewal".

So...pretty good!
Old Oct 23, 2013, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by BA2013
You get a two week ext anyway
Not automatically - it needs to be requested if you want TPs to count towards your current year within that extended 2 week period.

2 weeks is generally the maximum extension period granted.

Bringing forward the cutoff point for membership cannot be done, and neither can one change their membership date.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I called BAEC and I was told that if I want TPs from flights taken between 9 and 22 February to count towards the current qualification year, I have to call after the flights are taken and it will be done. But the date showing on my account will continue to be 8 February and my TPs will reset to 0 on 9 February, as usual.

Is this safe and standard procedure? While the two week extension would be awesome for me, I'm a little worried that the rules will change or I won't get anyone who actually knows them when I call to apply the TPs to the just-expired year!

Last edited by iwillflytheworld; Nov 1, 2013 at 6:44 pm Reason: Fixed date - thanks jerry a. laska
Old Nov 1, 2013, 6:35 pm

You should be fine. This has been a long-established practice. I don't recall anyone coming here having had problems getting the extension.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iwillflytheworld
Thanks for the replies. I called BAEC and I was told that if I want TPs from flights taken between 9 and 24 February to count towards the current qualification year, I have to call after the flights are taken and it will be done. But the date showing on my account will continue to be 8 February and my TPs will reset to 0 on 9 February, as usual.

Is this safe and standard procedure? While the two week extension would be awesome for me, I'm a little worried that the rules will change or I won't get anyone who actually knows them when I call to apply the TPs to the just-expired year!
Are you sure that they said that flights thru the 24th will count? 14 additional days by my count would include flights thru the 22nd.

The expiration date on your account does not change even when allowing a two extension to gain the necessary tier points.

In any event note who you talked to and if somehow they say no come February 22nd (when you have the requisite tier points then send Nicci (BA Executive Club) a PM.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
You should be fine. This has been a long-established practice. I don't recall anyone coming here having had problems getting the extension.

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
The expiration date on your account does not change even when allowing a two extension to gain the necessary tier points.

In any event note who you talked to and if somehow they say no come February 22nd (when you have the requisite tier points then send Nicci (BA Executive Club) a PM.
Thanks for the reassurance! The agent I talked to did say she'd make a note on my record confirming what she told me.

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Are you sure that they said that flights thru the 24th will count? 14 additional days by my count would include flights thru the 22nd.
Indeed, it's through the 22nd, my mistake.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

My membership year ends tomorrow, but following your advice I'm planning on requalifying for gold using the two-week extension. I will do some heavy flying in the next two weeks, and will only cross the gold threshold on the very last day of the two-week extension (22 Feb), on which I'll earn 310 TPs.

My questions is, when do I call BAEC to ask them to count the flights in the two-week extension period towards my current membership year? after each flight? after all the flights? after all flights post to my account? (this will be after the two-week period is over).

What I want to avoid at all costs is having some flights in the two-week period count towards this year and some towards the next year - then I won't reach gold this year and will start next year with fewer precious TPs.

As always thanks for your help!
Old Feb 7, 2014, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My membership year ends tomorrow, but following your advice I'm planning on requalifying for gold using the two-week extension. I will do some heavy flying in the next two weeks, and will only cross the gold threshold on the very last day of the two-week extension (22 Feb), on which I'll earn 310 TPs.

My questions is, when do I call BAEC to ask them to count the flights in the two-week extension period towards my current membership year? after each flight? after all the flights? after all flights post to my account? (this will be after the two-week period is over).

What I want to avoid at all costs is having some flights in the two-week period count towards this year and some towards the next year - then I won't reach gold this year and will start next year with fewer precious TPs.

As always thanks for your help!
If the agent stated that she would note on your record that you would get a two week extension (as noted in the post above) then call when you are done flying. As you were told earlier by the agent and in this thread, your year will end on the 8th and somewhere after the 9th everything will zero out and these flights will post in your new year. When you call they will look at the old year totals and what you have flown in the two weeks following and adjust your status accordingly.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Silver, Flying Blue Zilch, East Coast Rewards Lots&lots, Miles & More nada

I suspect the extension will only be confirmed once your flights have been taken and the flights posted. But it would do no harm to make a call after the first flight's tier points have been credited. They will either extend your year then, or tell you to call back once all the flights have been taken and the flights posted. If so, you'll only have wasted one call.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 2:27 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Gold, IHG Platinum

You have to wait until all the flights have credited to your account. The BAEC agent you talk to on the phone can't extend your year themself so there's no leeway on this, they put in a request to another department and it takes a few days to be changed.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 6:18 am

Programs: BA GGL, NH SFC, IHG Diamond, Radisson VIP, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I wonder when normally status and TP's are reset? My membership year ended yesterday, but it still shows the previous year's.

I did log out and back in, but nothing has been updated so far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.