Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New York JFK – London Heathrow Time changes for Summer 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New York JFK – London Heathrow Time changes for Summer 2014

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2013, 4:44 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by Airlineanorak
It's a shame they didn't stick with the existing AA flight time of 09:40. I'm a big fan of the day flight but 07:15 is just a tad early. I do understand that they've chosen the earlier flight to maximise connections but being selfish as a point to point traveller, I'd have preferred it a bit later.
0715 and 0930 would be a good compromise. The latter gets you home:hotel for mid I'tht, the earlier allows many connections.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 5:01 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by missdimeaner
I wish there were some of the newer BA aircraft on this route, apart from the infrequent 77W, there seems to be a lot of the more elderly aircraft flying this route....
They'll amost certainly be using 747's on this route as it's shorter, so the relative inefficiency of the jumbo versus the 777 is less keenly felt than on a very long stretch such as HKG for example.

As the 747 fleet shrinks, I'd be surprised if the latter routes to see 747 service weren't east coast USA type distances.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
As the 747 fleet shrinks, I'd be surprised if the latter routes to see 747 service weren't east coast USA type distances.
IIRC, something like this happened in the last years of the 741 and 742 fleets.

The key was to keep the cabins in tip-top condition. I had friends who flew on 741s and 744s at about the same time, complaining about the knackered and tatty state of the latter and expressing delight at the former "brand new" aircraft. I didn't have the heart to tell them that the "brand new" aircraft was older than they were.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by NeverFirst
They could also do worse than putting a 6:30 departure LHR-JFK departure in.

I guess that needs some spare capacity, but they could always re-use whichever aircraft is doing BA26, so it could fly HKG-LHR-JFK.

People could get a generous half day in the office in NYC with that flight.

It could also make a day-return almost feasible.
^

Even a 07:30 departure would be an imporovement - hit the NYC office by late morning. It's odd they cater for it at the other end of the day, i.e. a late departure from LHR to enable a full day in the office in London.

Great to see all 77W aircraft with AA.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 6:14 am

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
According to folks in the AA forum, the reduction of the 4th AA frequency is because AA are planning to speed up the retrofit of the new J and MC/MCE cabins on their 772 fleet. It is expected that this change is temporary and that AA will reinstate the 4th flight in the future.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 3:16 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, VS gold, Centurion
Originally Posted by missdimeaner
I wish there were some of the newer BA aircraft on this route, apart from the infrequent 77W, there seems to be a lot of the more elderly aircraft flying this route....
From November BA have two 787's on the LHR-EWR route. Unless travelling F this isn't a bad bet.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but what is the difference between the "777" (flight BA180/181) and the "77W" (the majority of the other Boeing 777 flights)

I will likely be traveling F on one of these flights. Which one is optimal?
Old Jan 14, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Iberia Plus Blue, Miles and More Blue, Gulf Blue, Tesco Clubcard, Elite PAL Mabuhay
Originally Posted by cornishsimon
It is however in my opinion disappointing that neither BA or AA have added an LGW service to this comprehensive offering.

cs
Or even LGW-NQY-JFK? I mean if you can have LCY-SNN-JFK....
Old Jan 14, 2014, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but what is the difference between the "777" (flight BA180/181) and the "77W" (the majority of the other Boeing 777 flights)
Where are you seeing "77W"?

If it's on ExpertFlyer or similar, those that are listed as 77W are almost certainly not BA flights - they will be AA flights with a BA flight number in the 15xx range. IME, BA's 777s are listed as "777" irrespective of whether or not they are 77Ws.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 3:55 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by londonbus
Or even LGW-NQY-JFK? I mean if you can have LCY-SNN-JFK....
Would there be US border clearance at NQY as well?
Old Jan 14, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Where are you seeing "77W"?

If it's on ExpertFlyer or similar, those that are listed as 77W are almost certainly not BA flights - they will be AA flights with a BA flight number in the 15xx range. IME, BA's 777s are listed as "777" irrespective of whether or not they are 77Ws.
The original post of this thread, for one, lists BA0179 as a "77W."

I believe I have figured out that these are 777-300s while the "777" is a 777-200...
Old Jan 14, 2014, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adelphos
The original post of this thread, for one, lists BA0179 as a "77W."

I believe I have figured out that these are 777-300s while the "777" is a 777-200...
Actually, a 77W is a 777-300ER, whereas in the same coding system a 777-300 is a 773. A 777-200 is a 772, and a 777-200LR is a 77L. And in that system, 777 is used for "777 (all models)"

Hence the question as to where you're seeing this, because it may help to identify what it means. As I said, if you look on ExpertFlyer, for example, an AA 777-300ER will be shown as a 77W, whereas a BA 777-300ER will just say 777 and you won't be able to tell from that alone whether it is in fact a 777-300ER or whether it might be one of BA's 777-200s.

Incidentally, it may be worth noting that the information in the OP is (unsurprisingly) now out of date. For example, I tested this for a random week in June:-
BA179 LHR1805 – 2055JFK 77W D
In that week, BA179 is operated by a 744 on three days, and by a 777-200 on the other four days.

Last edited by Globaliser; Jan 14, 2014 at 4:31 pm
Old Jan 14, 2014, 4:55 pm

A 6:00 AM Flight going out from LHR arriving in NYC at 9 in the morning would be fantastic. And so a very late evening flight like 22:30 arriving at 01:30 Am would also be perfect. So no daytime is wasted. Don't understand why all westbound flights to new York must be between 8 and 8 and kill a full day.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FT, flyingcitizen!
Originally Posted by flyingcitizen
A 6:00 AM Flight going out from LHR arriving in NYC at 9 in the morning would be fantastic. And so a very late evening flight like 22:30 arriving at 01:30 Am would also be perfect.
A 6.00 am departure would mean very little London-originating traffic, as nobody wants to get up in the middle of the night to make it such a flight when there are alternatives at a more sociable hour. Even an 8.30 am departure from LHR is pretty tough for most Londoners. So there's probably not enough viable traffic. In addition, the aircraft would then have to sit around at JFK all day because it would be too late to operate a day flight back and the earliest feasible night flights are at about 6.00 pm.

The 1.30 am arrival would not be popular as it would be difficult for people to get to their onward destinations in the middle of the night. There might also be curfew issues - but others will know more about this in relation to NYC airports.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Welcome to FT, flyingcitizen!A 6.00 am departure would mean very little London-originating traffic, as nobody wants to get up in the middle of the night to make it such a flight when there are alternatives at a more sociable hour. Even an 8.30 am departure from LHR is pretty tough for most Londoners. So there's probably not enough viable traffic. In addition, the aircraft would then have to sit around at JFK all day because it would be too late to operate a day flight back and the earliest feasible night flights are at about 6.00 pm.

The 1.30 am arrival would not be popular as it would be difficult for people to get to their onward destinations in the middle of the night. There might also be curfew issues - but others will know more about this in relation to NYC airports.
Thanks !

6 am out of London isn't much earlier than 7:15 out of NYC , and I would rather get up at 2 Am and get a nap on the plane and get a full working day in NY than getting up in the morning but kill a day. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

About the return, why can't the same aircraft return to LHR at 9:50 or even 10:30 am ? It will still get in before night curfew.

The 8:30 flight also ends up sitting around 6 hours in JFK!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.