Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New York JFK – London Heathrow Time changes for Summer 2014

New York JFK – London Heathrow Time changes for Summer 2014

Old Jan 14, 14, 6:35 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
In addition to Globaliser's points above, an early departure would mean much less almost no connecting traffic from Europe, etc. I doubt it would be profitable with purely London-originating people.
Old Jan 14, 14, 7:09 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, AAdvantage Gold, SPG/Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards
What flyingcitizen is getting at is that NYC has several flights from several carriers departing at around 7 AM to business destinations on the West Coast - Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, etc. These are always full and are profitable routes as business travelers want to get in town for meetings, conferences / conventions, etc that start late morning or in the afternoon. The question is would there be enough business travel originating in London for essentially same-day meetings.

These plans normally turn right back around for flights back to the east coast, and that is fine. But it wouldn't work for London as the flight would get back in too late.

What would be perfect would be if BA would be able to fly from JFK to the West Coast with passengers in tow, then take passengers on an overnight trip from the West Coast back to London with all new passengers. Not sure this is allowed though under regulations.
Old Jan 14, 14, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by flyingcitizen View Post
6 am out of London isn't much earlier than 7:15 out of NYC , and I would rather get up at 2 Am and get a nap on the plane and get a full working day in NY than getting up in the morning but kill a day. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.
I'm sure that there will be some who are prepared to get up at 2.00 am to fly to NYC when there are more civilised flights to take later, but it will be precious few.
About the return, why can't the same aircraft return to LHR at 9:50 or even 10:30 am ? It will still get in before night curfew.
Look at BA's schedules: aircraft are turned in no less than 2 hours, and mostly 3 hours. The same aircraft couldn't leave JFK until about 11.00 am, and then it's right on the edge of the curfew with no margin. The idea of a 747 arriving at 9.00 am and being sent back to London at 9.50 am is a bit optimistic.
The 8:30 flight also ends up sitting around 6 hours in JFK!
But the 8.30 am departure will be more popular and more profitable, and it's sitting around for 2-3 hours less than a 6.00 am departure would. Every minute costs money, and you don't want an aircraft to operate a less profitable flight and then sit around idle for even longer.
Old Jan 15, 14, 1:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Silver, Marriot Silver
When are these timing changes reflected in MMB?.
BA115 was quoted as LHR1440 – 1710JFK 744 D but in MMB from my booking last week it is scheduled as 1435-1725 for a July flight
I know 5-15 minutes makes no difference in reality just more curious if and when MMB gets updated or we are advised of a timing change.
Old Jan 15, 14, 2:51 am

Globaliser,you are 100 percent right when talking about a family traveling on vacation.In that case a day flight is preferred, I am also taking the mid-day flight when going with wife and children, but when traveling solo for business I don't see the difference between departing 7:15 from NYC (Virgin Atlantic and BA on the new schedule) and 6:00 (or even 7:00) from London going westbound. Unless the early morning flights eastbound are basically for LHR connections.
Old Jan 15, 14, 3:06 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
6 am out of London isn't much earlier than 7:15 out of NYC , and I would rather get up at 2 Am and get a nap on the plane and get a full working day in NY than getting up in the morning but kill a day. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Why not just use the latest LHR departure? Allows a mostly full business day in London, fly to NYC that night, overnight at NYC ready for a full business day.
Old Jan 15, 14, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alwaysTravelling View Post
I know 5-15 minutes makes no difference in reality just more curious if and when MMB gets updated or we are advised of a timing change.
AFAIK, MMB should reflect what's in the GDS, so it ought to show the new times as soon as the new schedules are loaded into the GDS (which I believe also feeds the timetable function on ba.com).
Old Jan 15, 14, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... but when traveling solo for business I don't see the difference between departing 7:15 from NYC (Virgin Atlantic and BA on the new schedule) and 6:00 (or even 7:00) from London going westbound. Unless the early morning flights eastbound are basically for LHR connections.
I don't dispute that you would not find it inconvenient. But plenty of others would. And BA will be looking at what everyone wants, not just you.

The eastbound trans-Atlantic day flights do allow for some connections at LHR, and the early departures obviously allow for more. So the timing of these may be a question of needs must, even though I would blanch at the thought of a 7.15 am departure to go anywhere.

There doesn't seem to me to be any similar imperative for the westbounds. If you need to start first thing in the morning in NYC, then you can fly westbound the evening before. 8.30 am is better than 7.00 am, which is better than 6.00 am for picking up westbound traffic, and it's likely that none of these departure times would allow the safe timetabling of a day flight back (which would inevitably miss all connections on arrival at LHR). So I can easily see how the balance favours westbound starts at the time that they do.
Old Jan 15, 14, 3:21 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Accor Sil, Black Cineworld Unlimited, Tastecard
I quite like dayflights returning from NY. Shame the timinigs have changed from a civilised 9.30am to 7.30am (though appreciate that will help others with connections).
Old Jan 15, 14, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by nux View Post
Why not just use the latest LHR departure? Allows a mostly full business day in London, fly to NYC that night, overnight at NYC ready for a full business day.
8 o'clock flight means going out of the house at 5ish. Will take away from the hours I usually spend with the children. (Of course I'll do it if necessary but if I can leave late night or early morning so I have both , evening hours in London and morning hours in NT , I would prefer this on)
Old Jan 15, 14, 4:23 am

Globaliser , you have 8 hours on the plane to catch up with you sleep from tonight and even gain some credit for the next night...
Old Jan 15, 14, 4:38 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
In the IAG Capital Investors day, they said that this would be happening on the JFK route in order that the two airlines could guarantee flat beds on this route, whichever airline you took.
Old Jan 15, 14, 5:23 am

Programs: Delta Silver, AAdvantage Gold, SPG/Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by nux View Post
The same argument could be made for NYC flights to LAX or SFO, yet the 7 AM flights are always packed. Obviously logistical concerns (extra time through immigration, plane needs, restrictions on plane routes, etc) come into play at that point.
Old Jan 15, 14, 5:51 am

Programs: BA (GGL), AA (statusless), HH (Diamond);
A 6:00 AM Flight going out from LHR arriving in NYC at 9 in the morning would be fantastic. And so a very late evening flight like 22:30 arriving at 01:30 Am would also be perfect. So no daytime is wasted. Don't understand why all westbound flights to new York must be between 8 and 8 and kill a full day.
There was an interesting thread about this at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...direction.html . In addition to curfews, the main reason is the North Atlantic Tracks, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Atlantic_Tracks

Basically there are two west-bound TATL redeyes currently:

FCO-YYZ ET 502 0350A- 0630A B788 (Does not operate every day)
MAD-MEX IB 6405 0030A- 0545A A340

These two planes have to fly around the tracks. The MAD flight is pretty easy as it heads to MEX, and can fly below. I'm not sure what route the ET flight takes to avoid the tracks.
Old Jan 15, 14, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by dylanks View Post
There was an interesting thread about this at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...direction.html . In addition to curfews, the main reason is the North Atlantic Tracks, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Atlantic_Tracks

Basically there are two west-bound TATL redeyes currently:

FCO-YYZ ET 502 0350A- 0630A B788 (Does not operate every day)
MAD-MEX IB 6405 0030A- 0545A A340

These two planes have to fly around the tracks. The MAD flight is pretty easy as it heads to MEX, and can fly below. I'm not sure what route the ET flight takes to avoid the tracks.

Interesting! never heard about that. This must be the REAL reason why there is no westbound overnight flights.

Search this Thread