Community
Wiki Posts
Search

B777-200 Refurbishment

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2013, 4:27 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by oscietra

All BA World Traveller/economy cabins have had seat back TVs and AVOD for many years (since well before the millennium).
This is not true - some of the 777s had looped IFE (ie non-AVOD) until last year iirc.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
This is not true - some of the 777s had looped IFE (ie non-AVOD) until last year iirc.
Indeed, this was the case in all cabins on these 772s. Thankfully they have all now been refurbished with Thales AVOD.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 4:41 am

Being a leisure route, MCO Orlando along with most leisure focussed longhaul Gatwick routes are down the pecking order for new cabins (though all 777s have the latest F cabin, where that is offered).
I'm curious as to the reasons for this. Does anyone know if 'leisure' routes are actually less profitable for BA than 'business' routes? Or, are leisure travellers less likely to be put off by older cabins etc? Or both? Or other reasons?

I think in their latest refurbishments VS have upgraded their entire leisure fleet from LGW ahead of some of their LHR aircraft. Maybe high loadings of leisure routes deliver high profits which can be taken for granted? Just a thought, I have no data whatsoever on the matter, just curious.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Leisure routes are generally less profitable, because people don't usually need flexibility and search for the cheapest fares.

Business routes generally have higher numbers of flexible (ie. more expensive) tickets, including last minute bookings. Cheapest fares are usually below convenience in the priority list for business travellers (depending on the company!).

I do also think that regular travellers (more likely business travellers) have higher expectations in regard to cabin products etc.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by Genius1
Leisure routes are generally less profitable, because people don't usually need flexibility and search for the cheapest fares.

Business routes generally have higher numbers of flexible (ie. more expensive) tickets, including last minute bookings. Cheapest fares are usually below convenience in the priority list for business travellers (depending on the company!).

I do also think that regular travellers (more likely business travellers) have higher expectations in regard to cabin products etc.
Thanks, what you say does seem to make sense, but do you actually have data for this, or inside knowledge? You see, I'm wondering if what you say is just the general perception, but may be surprisingly not the case. For instance, business routes may have lower loadings, and some leisure routes people will pay very high fares, especially in school holidays etc.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alwaysbanevervs
Thanks, what you say does seem to make sense, but do you actually have data for this, or inside knowledge? You see, I'm wondering if what you say is just the general perception, but may be surprisingly not the case. For instance, business routes may have lower loadings, and some leisure routes people will pay very high fares, especially in school holidays etc.
A mixture of general perception and a little insider knowledge
Old Oct 20, 2013, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by Genius1
A mixture of general perception and a little insider knowledge
Well thanks, interesting
Old Oct 20, 2013, 6:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by alwaysbanevervs
I'd also concur with Genius1. At lunches and other events for Prems and GGLs the BA management are quite open in saying that business locations give them their highest returns, with various nuances. For example business travel on many routes is tied to the economic cycle, whereas some leisure routes are more inelastic (and I'm almost sure that this particular service, one of the very few I've never been on, falls into this category). The other aspect of leisure travel which important to any leveraged airline is that leisure travel can generate very helpful cashflow (not profits) at the right time. But having said that, I'm pretty sure Chengdu weighs more strongly in the corporate vision than, say, Fort Lauderdale. And rightly so.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'd also concur with Genius1. At lunches and other events for Prems and GGLs the BA management are quite open in saying that business locations give them their highest returns, with various nuances. For example business travel on many routes is tied to the economic cycle, whereas some leisure routes are more inelastic (and I'm almost sure that this particular service, one of the very few I've never been on, falls into this category). The other aspect of leisure travel which important to any leveraged airline is that leisure travel can generate very helpful cashflow (not profits) at the right time. But having said that, I'm pretty sure Chengdu weighs more strongly in the corporate vision than, say, Fort Lauderdale. And rightly so.
Thanks. OK, no axe to grind here. Most of my own travel has been to 'business' locations, albeit for leisure reasons. I think if I had to choose which were more profitable for BA, then on balance I'd also come down on the side of business routes.

However, that said, are we really that sure? LGW probably has a much lower cost per passenger base than LHR for a start considerably helping profitablity. Inflexible tickets come with a hidden cancellation/change bonus for the airline, whereas flexible tickets come with a further cost if change or cancellation is enacted. Leisure routes often have high loadings. And, I'm not asking if BA takes more revenue from business routes, I'm questioning if the profit per passenger really is that much higher, if at all. I'd be very interested in any hard stats on this, although accept that is unlikely they will be forthcoming!
Old Jan 18, 2014, 8:44 am

Hi, bit confused from the some of the answers given above - to confirm - no 777s from LGW have the new AVOD / Thales system?
Old Jan 18, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by NVAUGHAN123
Hi, bit confused from the some of the answers given above - to confirm - no 777s from LGW have the new AVOD / Thales system?
You would struggle to tell anyway unless you knew the difference and are in J or F with the larger screens. IMO.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by NVAUGHAN123

None of the LGW based B777s have the Thales system but they sometimes get one down there while their aircraft are under maintenance.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
INVAUGHAN 123

None of the Gatwick based 777s have been re fitted with the new wt and wt+ product.

If one of these aircraft has a technical issue or other reason for not flying (scheduled maintenance , etc) then a plane may be flown in which may have the new products....
Old Jan 18, 2014, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Skipcool3
INVAUGHAN 123

None of the Gatwick based 777s have been re fitted with the new wt and wt+ product.

If one of these aircraft has a technical issue or other reason for not flying (scheduled maintenance , etc) then a plane may be flown in which may have the new products....
Thanks Skipcool. Will be in either CW or F, depending whether I upgrade at the airport. Seems like you can tell the difference between the old and new content and certainly the screens on the large TVs.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 10:41 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
All BA World Traveller/economy cabins have had seat back TVs and AVOD for many years (since well before the millennium). The old system is fine, the new system is excellent and has bigger screen, higher definition and more programming. However, even on the loop system I find BA's IFE content very stimulating and of higher quality than other carriers.
Not true, I flew on a B747-436, B! 21 LHR-SIN-SYD back in Feb 2002 (being just after the collapse of Ansett, it was originally a QF flight which BA took over as QF aircraft were needed elsewhere, and it was definitely looped, in no way was it AVOD.

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.