Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Travelling with car seat, stroller etc. Suggestions...

Travelling with car seat, stroller etc. Suggestions...

Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Congratulations on Miss BahrainLad, I didn't even know that you could get it up.
Haha, I will take that as a compliment...!
Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by DWB1873
3) as the primary choice.

The pebble will travel fine in the hold in a bag. The stroller however may not and the you run the risk of it being broken when you need it.

At 8 weeks. I would take full advantage of being able to use a sling.

If if you do check them in, do have a plan B just in case they don't arrive with you at your destination!
Thanks, I was thinking of doing all three. Do you think the Bugaboo frame would be treated better if we checked it in at the aircraft door, with the car seat? It would be in two pieces though which I am not sure is allowed.

Alternatively we just take the car seat and then have her in the sling for our walks around Lucca.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
Haha, I will take that as a compliment...!
It was meant as one.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 2:14 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Thanks, I was thinking of doing all three. Do you think the Bugaboo frame would be treated better if we checked it in at the aircraft door, with the car seat? It would be in two pieces though which I am not sure is allowed.

Alternatively we just take the car seat and then have her in the sling for our walks around Lucca.
I'm happily past the buggy stage these days, but a few years ago we checked our Bugaboo Chameleon using the Bugaboo travel case. The whole two piece unit folds down and fits inside it, and it's a well padded case.

Then I'd carry baby through security in the car seat and give that up at the aircraft door.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 2:19 am

Programs: OWS, *A G

@bahrainLand I think only the small collapsing type strollers can be taken to the gate.

We have travelled now 3 times with zat_baby checking the chassis in a Britax travel bag and an Evecase bag for the car seat.

Last edited by zat_dude; Jun 16, 2017 at 2:36 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 16, 2017, 3:01 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Two contradictory thoughts.

i) We use the iSafe car seat travel bags. Big, cheap and reasonably tough. https://baby-travel.uk.com/collectio...ler-travel-bag If you check them in you can get away with a reasonable amount of bulky things in there too: nappys, steriliser, etc.

It's large enough for the next stage car seats so you'll get plenty of use out of it, and too big for the Pebble: I think you might well get the Bugaboo frame in too. If so I'd pack that all up and use a Babybjorn in the airport - it's useful having your hands free.

ii) I read it that you aren't taking the bassinet, which would be bulky, but if not you don't have a lie-flat-when-out option while you're away, right?

I would considered getting a second pushchair, suitable from birth, mainly for your travels. We have a Chicco Liteway: simple but effective - won't mount the Pebble but does have flat/upright options and we survived 3 weeks in NZ with our 8wk old. (There are more expensive options, like the Babyzen which folds to cabin baggage size and will mount the Pebble.) You'll get plenty of use for a second pushchair over 3+ yrs, and you don't have to worry about the Bugaboo being damaged. iSafe stroller bag again.

Last edited by pauldb; Jun 16, 2017 at 3:12 am
Old Jun 16, 2017, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by zat_dude
@bahrainLand I think only the small collapsing type strollers can be taken to the gate.

We have travelled now 3 times with zat_baby checking the chassis in a Britax travel bag and an Evecase bag for the car seat.
Thanks. A friend has a Bugaboo Bee chassis which they are getting rid of so we might borrow that for travelling, does anyone have any experiences of checking that (chassis only) + Pebble at the aircraft door?

I think we'll be getting a Travel Cot too as staying in a villa. Any recommendations on those as well!?
Old Jun 16, 2017, 3:51 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Thanks. A friend has a Bugaboo Bee chassis which they are getting rid of so we might borrow that for travelling, does anyone have any experiences of checking that (chassis only) + Pebble at the aircraft door?
Not precisely, but to alleviate your concern about being two parts, you could again just use a suitable bag. I've never had a problem having the folded-up bag tagged at check-in - then you pack it up and hand it over at the gate.

Love Lucca by the way, great choice. And while there are more sophisticated options, recommend https://www.facebook.com/DaCiaccoPanineriaVineria/ for lunch.

Last edited by pauldb; Jun 16, 2017 at 4:03 am
Old Jun 16, 2017, 4:34 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Travel as slightly as you can is my advice.

As as a veteran of 5-6 long haul returns from the age of 6 months to 20 months, we quickly realized the benefit of taking as little as possible, esp through security.

We we went from buggy bags and full parafanalia to just using a couple of bungees to keep the two parts of the buggy together and a single small bag for the kid within two trips.

Deffo check the car seat and buggy and carry the baby while he/ she is young/ small enough to do so, they're just a nuisance at multiple occasions beyond check in
Old Jun 16, 2017, 7:16 am

We took a maxi cosi pebble plus and our bugaboo chameleon, as well as a baby zen yoyo with us last year as we went to china for a month. I bought a padded car seat bag from amazon and checked it in, plus we padded it out with nappies and blankets etc. We also bought the bugaboo travel bag and checked the pushchair in at the desk as well. Both these bags are massive so provided extra packing space and are padded so nothing got damaged.
we then took the yoyo to the gate and put in the overhead locker....
Old Jun 16, 2017, 7:17 am

Oh and to keep it simple through security order food/milk etc to collect at boots airside
Old Jun 16, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: BA - Blue
I think the Bugaboo is too bulky for travel...but others have and do manage it. For our 10 week old son we currently have a chameleon (on loan from a friend) and a City Mini -- bought eight years ago when our daughter was born. The latter had a great travel bag, which I could use for gate-checking in the US (not sure if it's OK for the UK).

I do think a lighter stroller/ pushchair that your baby can use at her age will be the best bet. We started travelling with our daughter from 9 weeks and had no issues at all. Just using a sling can be exhausting if slogging around a lot, and to be honest, some children don't take to them for long periods.

I can certainly attest the the City, although not super light, is very easy to use, fold and comfortable for small babies.

Enjoy the trip!

tb
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:54 am

We have done a number of trips recently with Master EfficientTraveller who is now 4 months but we took him to Cyprus at about 8 weeks.

I would definitely recommend checking everything in at check in and just using the carrier in the airport - it makes security a breeze as you don't even need to take baby out of carrier and leaves hands free for everything else. A blanket on a sofa in the lounge makes an easy place to put baby down.

We have a MaxiCosi Pebble too and have also bought a generic iSafe bag from Amazon. The bag doesn't provide any padding so we tend to wrap the seats in a few layers of bubble wrap. Given the seat is needed for the journey to LHR, that means a bit of wrapping in the drop off zone but it is achievable. We also normally throw nappies etc in.

We have a Babyjogger City Mini with carrycot which is only a bit more compact than the Bugaboo. I would definitely recommend a bag for the base wheels and we managed to fit the carrycot in a (very large) wheeled duffle bag with all baby's other stuff inside. While the carrycot is bulky, we found having a familiar place for baby to sleep very valuable and took baby to dinner asleep in pram giving Mummy and Daddy some nice relaxing meals. The Italians were very relaxed about babies in restaurants!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.