Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sitting in Cot seat Without Infant

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2013, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)

Hi everyone,

I just did OLCI and moved from 22A to 21A on the 787, because (I hope) it might be a better seat as a bulkhead.

It is a designated cot seat, but was free for me to take on OLCI. Is there a risk I might get bumped from the seat, or have all infant passengers been assigned already, hence they let me take the seat???
Old Oct 8, 2013, 6:43 pm

I've only ever been bumped up WTP or CW out of a cot seat after OLCI, but I'm sure there are other people with more representative experiences. I'd say that there's a chance, certainly that not all of the infants were assigned seats but it would be up to the staff at the airport to shift you now.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. I really hope I don't get bumped, I have traded a second row window seat for 1st row bulkhead, would be a disaster if I ended in some middle seat at the back of the plane.

Here is hoping everything goes ok.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 8:26 pm
formerly bdohmen

Programs: Still dealing with the loss of my BA Concorde Room Card

I always try to snag the cot seat and I've yet to get bumped but I guess it just takes that one lucky time to break the streak. I would imagine the numbers are in your favor, though
Old Oct 8, 2013, 8:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Good Riddance FT!
I have been the bumper of people in this situation, so it can happen. I'm not flying today though, with or without kids, so you're safe from me at least!
Old Oct 8, 2013, 11:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
I wonder if this is one of those narrow examples of ba status generating an OpUp as against a bump to another seat. If there are are kids needing the bassinet you'll definitely be moved...but where....
Old Oct 9, 2013, 1:11 am

Programs: BA Gold
I think it would be rare for someone to travel with an infant at the last minute but we have done it - don't think we ever bumped anyone. Normally travelling with kids requires advanced planning.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 2:11 am

I have only chose it once at OLCI and got bumped at the airport. Was only travelling in WT as the flight was full hence no bump to WT+ or CW just some other crappy WT seat
Old Oct 9, 2013, 3:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
Myself and my partner were asked to give up our pair of middle cot seats in J before once seated after boarding! My first reaction was to say, as long as you can find us another pair of rear facing seats - the crew then went away and said she would be back. At that point I thought people booking with infants can choose seats at the time off booking so they either booked less than 24 hours out (as I got the seat allocated by calling up around T-28) or they just didn't bother selecting the right seats or they were upgraded - So I was ready to say, actually we are not prepared to move when she came back to say don't worry we have sorted out another seat... This experience has made me weary of these seats now!
Old Oct 9, 2013, 3:33 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
I am a frequent seeker of the last row of J on the 777, which is usually a cot seat. They get opened up at T-72, but you cannot reserve them online; you have to call. I have never been bumped to another J seat in well over 30 times of doing this. I have been op-uped from these seats though.

I must say, having flown with infants in the distant past, I would (with a heavy heart) take a different view from Jacaranda and give up my seat for an infant-bearing parent.

There is a down side of being near the cot seats - sometimes the infant-noise is unbearable!
Old Oct 9, 2013, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Hmm.... really hope I haven't made a mistake here, I'd hate to be moved. I just hope all infant passengers have their seats assigned already. I guess I will find out at the airport.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 6:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by CX828
Hmm.... really hope I haven't made a mistake here, I'd hate to be moved. I just hope all infant passengers have their seats assigned already. I guess I will find out at the airport.
You will probably find out at the gate or while on board I suspect. Less likely at check-in.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KenJohn
You will probably find out at the gate or while on board I suspect. Less likely at check-in.
Wow, really that late!?

Would I be 'Asked' out of my seat or forced out??
Old Oct 9, 2013, 6:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Jacaranda
Myself and my partner were asked to give up our pair of middle cot seats in J before once seated after boarding! My first reaction was to say, as long as you can find us another pair of rear facing seats - the crew then went away and said she would be back. At that point I thought people booking with infants can choose seats at the time off booking so they either booked less than 24 hours out (as I got the seat allocated by calling up around T-28) or they just didn't bother selecting the right seats or they were upgraded - So I was ready to say, actually we are not prepared to move when she came back to say don't worry we have sorted out another seat... This experience has made me weary of these seats now!
I had a similar experience about 10 days ago and, feeling somewhat guilty, declined to move. I'd secured the seat when OLCI opened, so my first thought was that the parent should really have requested the seat before then, and, as I was told I'd be reaccommodated in another window seat, all of which had been filled before OLCI opened, my second thought was that it as less likely to be a last-minute booking and more likely to be someone who hadn't made appropriate seating requests in advance. Had I been asked at an earlier point in the process I may well have said yes, but after having got myself and everything I needed to work through the flight stowed, and on a trip involving 7.5 hour flights each way and less than 26 hours on the ground, I wasn't feeling as selfless as I usually would. Parent and baby were seated in the centre pair at the back, so my guilt was somewhat assuaged by knowing they got somewhere appropriate, just not with a window as well.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 6:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Good Riddance FT!
Originally Posted by CX828
Wow, really that late!?

Would I be 'Asked' out of my seat or forced out??
Presuming there really was someone with an infant who needed the cot, if asked, would you refuse?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.