Wiki Posts
Search

Snoring Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2013, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, ICH Plat, Club Carlson G, SAS S
Snoring Etiquette

Tried a search but cant see anything on this, which is surprising.

Flying LHR ABZ Thursday and person next to me was snoring so loud it was really unpleasant.

Now knowing the etiquette I just put up with it for the 1 hr 25 mins this flight was, but is it accepted to wake someone up to stop them snoring if its so bad

I know on LH flights you can use the noise reducing headphones, but you don't have that on SH usually.

Interesting to know the view ^
Old Oct 6, 2013, 9:18 am

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
Nudge them to wake them up.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 9:20 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum Elite / BAEC Silver
Don't you travel with a packet of nasal anti-snore strips to put on the faces of snorers on board?
Old Oct 6, 2013, 9:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Personally get some headphones and wear them, if you dont like other pax on a flight travel by car/ private jet.
People snore, and you will just have to live with it, is it fair to wake someone up so you have a more pleasant journey? IMO no, how would you feel if someone woke you up?

Originally Posted by pianoamit
Don't you travel with a packet of nasal anti-snore strips to put on the faces of snorers on board?
These do work though!

J
Old Oct 6, 2013, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steve Oh
would that not lead to unpleasant scenes of people angry you woke them up, especially if its not against the rules to snore
Old Oct 6, 2013, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Jenzo

These do work though!

J
Not on my husband unfortunately.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 9:28 am

Yes, people who snore have an absolute right to make miserable everyone else in the vicinity.

This rule also applies to people who talk in theaters, use cell phones in restaurants, and smoke in the subway.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Yes, people who snore have an absolute right to make miserable everyone else in the vicinity.

This rule also applies to people who talk in theaters, use cell phones in restaurants, and smoke in the subway.
yeh so whats the etiquette given its not a written rule

do you "accidently" make a movement that will wake the person up such a loud sneeze, or release some "gasses"

or are you within your rights to politely but firmly wake them and ask them to not snore as its not pleasant
Old Oct 6, 2013, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Steve Oh
Yes, then politely tell them what they've been doing.

Although snorers always deny they actually snore.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 9:35 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum Elite / BAEC Silver
Dave_C - you should move on to the gentle roll over and push off of the bed... It makes a bit of a 'thud' noise, but the snoring stops for a while...
Old Oct 6, 2013, 9:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by drspear
or are you within your rights to politely but firmly wake them and ask them to not snore as its not pleasant
NO. YOU DON'T WAKE THEM UP! In the future you should take earplugs and/or headphones to minimize the noise.

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Yes, then politely tell them what they've been doing.

Although snorers always deny they actually snore.
Its not there choice to snore, its not optional and they don't do this to purposefully annoy you. I think its selfish to wake someone else up so you can be a tad more comfortable, if anyone woke me up i would be annoyed at them and then go right back to sleep.

Thants just my view on it.

J
Old Oct 6, 2013, 9:44 am

Well, it is a bit anti-social, although the perpetrator's not doing it on purpose.

If it was irritating then I'd put my personal earphones in and listen to music. If that wasn't sufficient and they were in the aisle seat then I'd tap them on the shoulder to let me out to go to the loo, thereby waking them up in the process. If not, then I might well cough a few times to stir them.

I say this as someone who doesn't usually snore, but on a particular flight fell asleep. Towards the end of the flight, after I'd woken, a member of Cabin Crew mentioned I'd snored (not in a bad way - they really did mention it in context of me sleeping well). However, I was mortified. I felt really bad, inflicting that on others in the cabin. I wish someone had tapped me on the shoulder so I could have shifted my body a bit to stop snoring, I really do.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 9:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Good Riddance FT!
I would never, ever wake up a fellow traveler for something like this. Some people have rough time falling asleep on planes and once they're out, I'd assume they need it as much as I do. I would simply place the earplugs provided by BA in, and continue working/sleeping/eating etc. I always travel with my own set, as well.

For a 1.5 hour flight, I don't think I'd even have time to notice.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BizFlyin
I would never, ever wake up a fellow traveler for something like this. Some people have rough time falling asleep on planes and once they're out, I'd assume they need it as much as I do. I would simply place the earplugs provided by BA in, and continue working/sleeping/eating etc. I always travel with my own set, as well.

For a 1.5 hour flight, I don't think I'd even have time to notice.
there weren't ear plugs on this flight, just a UK domestic one

I have just done LH ACC LHR and could have done without it to be honest.

If I asked a flight attendant to do something about it, would they be obliged to tell the snoring person ? Its really the etiquette I was trying to get in tune with
Old Oct 6, 2013, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Jenzo
NO. YOU DON'T WAKE THEM UP! In the future you should take earplugs and/or headphones to minimize the noise.

Its not there choice to snore, its not optional and they don't do this to purposefully annoy you. I think its selfish to wake someone else up so you can be a tad more comfortable, if anyone woke me up i would be annoyed at them and then go right back to sleep.

Thants just my view on it.

J
My father used to snore in the cinema....are you saying we shouldn't have woken him up?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.