Wiki Posts
Search

Do I need to pick up the car?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2013, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: ABBA
Do I need to pick up the car?

I just booked a trip for a couple of weeks time. Unusually I don't need to be flexible, and I've got plenty of notice.

Looked up on ba.com, rather than go through my corporate TA.

Price from London with the car - £833
Price from Manchester with the car - £1600!!

With the TA
Price from London on Virgin - £1200!!
Price from London on BA - £1800!!

(The trip doesn't have a saturday night stay. Book the car and the T bucket opens, rather than W)

So I'm obviously booking with the car, and a separate ticket for the MAN-LHR leg. Tempted to take the car and drive into town rather than taxi, but that means no drinking on the flight on the way over. Do I need to bother picking the car up at all?
Old Oct 2, 2013, 8:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
No you don't need to collect the car (assuming this is a BA "flight+car" booking).

I have made lots of these over the years and on most occasions never bothered to collect the car. I've had no repercussions at all!
Old Oct 2, 2013, 8:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by paulwuk

Do I need to bother picking the car up at all?
A lot of folks when booking a 'flight + car' sometimes find that the car depots/car hire places are VERY hard to find and eventually give up looking for them

Last edited by PETER01; Oct 2, 2013 at 8:46 am
Old Oct 2, 2013, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Yes, it's amazing how much you can save (at least to some destinations)

I'm slightly concerned about the hard upsell of things like insurance if I do take the car, and after an early start I agree I'm not very good at finding things

Thanks

Last edited by paulwuk; Oct 2, 2013 at 8:57 am
Old Oct 2, 2013, 8:55 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by paulwuk
Yes, it's amazing how much you can save (at least to some destinations)
Indeed. I am off to LAX next weekend and the WT+ seats are now full price but booking it into a hotel for a few nights books the flights back into the discounted prices 'saving' over £1700
Old Oct 2, 2013, 9:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Do remember that once you do a flight+car or flight+hotel, or add any additional services to a flight (such as a ground transfer), you lose the ability to do the following:
  • Change the booking online
  • Upgrade using Avios online (though you can over the phone)
  • Take advantage of Pro-active Upgrades (these are not available at all, not even over the phone)

You also have to go through BA Holidays for anything to do with the booking.

As long as you're okay accepting these conditions, it can be significantly better value, as it books the ticket into an "IT" (Inclusive Tour) fare which may not have Saturday night stay requirements.

If it's important to be able to take advantage of POUGs or make changes/UuA without a phone call, then this isn't for you.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mjh0
> Change the booking online
> Upgrade using Avios online (though you can over the phone)
> Take advantage of Pro-active Upgrades (these are not available at all, not even over the phone)
That's good to know, however as I normally book via a TA, and fly from a region, I don't have the ability to do any of those.

And avios availability? Hah!

The lack of POUG from regions is especially annoying.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 11:17 am

Have POUG'ed many times on these "inclusive tour" style tickets. Ex LON seems to be the key - add in a domestic connection in the UK to the itinerary and it screws the whole thing up for some reason. EDI based colleague furious that I was able to POUG (T to J) on a 3 class service transatlantic where as he could not. The 4 class sub at the last minute and OLCI to nab the last seat in the F cabin (operating as J) was the final straw..... I did smile outwardly to him as we parted company at the boarding door (made sure of that)
Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:30 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Do you need a drivers license to book flight+car?
Old Oct 2, 2013, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by exilencfc
Do you need a drivers license to book flight+car?
I've seen this tip before but not really investigated but yes do you actually need a license? Do you have to enter its serial number during booking etc?

Though I guess you could just tell them that you accidentally left it at home !
Old Oct 2, 2013, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HH Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I've seen this tip before but not really investigated but yes do you actually need a license? Do you have to enter its serial number during booking etc?

Though I guess you could just tell them that you accidentally left it at home !
No you don't need a driving license, unless of course you collect the car!

I always travel mid week WTP and this has helped me keep on BA, as company policy is Virgin unless cheaper alternative can be found. BA + car fares are always much cheaper.

Only other issue I've found is that bonus AVIOS for the car often don't post. Not sure if this due to not picking up the car or just a general issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.