Wiki Posts
Search

Seoul Korea - Worth a visit.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2013, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Ba gold, gha black

Hi guys, anyone here who has been to Korea think Seoul is worth a visit for 5 or 6 days.. Never been and toying with the idea of going there or Tokyo where ive been before, but would prefer something new and can use miles to Seoul. Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 2:42 am

Programs: BAEC GCH, CXMP Gold, Amex Plat, HH Gold, Accor Plat, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold

I went for 3 days (see my TR ).

There is a lot to do tho. Depends on how active you are, but:

- DMZ tour is one day
- there are loads of museums that could take a day or two
- it's generally a nice place to wall around
- North tower 1/2 day and great views of city

I am sure you could make up another day. Indeed there's a nice river walk through the city that I failed to do.

The people are very friendly too and I found Seoul safe.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 2:43 am

Spent 4 days there back in Jan. Really enjoyed it:

Did the DMZ tour: http://www.hellophoto.co.nz/showthre...litarised-Zone

And Seoul was pretty cool too, although a little cold: http://www.hellophoto.co.nz/showthre...A-Bit-Of-Seoul
Old Sep 30, 2013, 2:46 am

Programs: BAEC GCH, CXMP Gold, Amex Plat, HH Gold, Accor Plat, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold

Yeah. It can be cold. I went from Vietnam to Korea. The drop in temperature from entering and exiting the airport was insane.

Use the subway system! Very good and cheap.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 3:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
Seoul is great for 2-3 days and I loved it -- 6 may be a bit too much though. Osaka/Kyoto/Nara is a great trip for 5-6 days if you're looking for other recommendations.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by mec72
Seoul is great for 2-3 days and I loved it -- 6 may be a bit too much though. Osaka/Kyoto/Nara is a great trip for 5-6 days if you're looking for other recommendations.
I was thinking that. Depends on how you work, I know my dad loves museums and could spend 3 days at the various museums. I tend to blitz them.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 3:49 am

Seoul is a fantastic city! You can read about the antics of quite a few of us on our jaunt there last year in our TR (link in sig).

If you are going for a little longer than our 24-48 hour average, you may want to consider a trip to visit Jeju-do island, apparently very popular and on my list for next time!
Old Sep 30, 2013, 4:17 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Why not consider the North ? I am off to Hong Kong in November followed by a week in Burma and 4 days in the DPRK. Should be a bit more interesting than the average jaunt and is actually very reasonable from a price perspective.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 4:20 am

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
A day, or overnight trip to Busan or Jeju is possible as well.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 4:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Silver, Accor Silver, FB Ivory, Miles&More
In the past 15 months, business has taken me to Korea 4 times & Japan 6 times (10 days stays each time). IMHO, Seoul is a very interesting city for a short visit, in 2 to 3 days you will have seen most of the interesting places. Japan, on the other hand, has much more to offer for sightseeing, and also from a cultural & historical point of view. One can easily spend a whole week in Tokyo without getting bored; and also Kyoto is worth a 4 to 5 day visit, with possibly a side trip to Nara. If I had to plan a personal holiday in those 2 countries, I would plan Japan first, and if I had some time left, then I would include a stopover in Seoul.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 4:53 am

I found Seoul absolutely fantastic. Definitely give it a go. 5-6 days is not too long: you should find there is plenty to do.

One word of advice, however: get yourself some kind of menu decoder if you cannot read Korean, and then you can try the more traditional restaurants. I found very few people spoke English, although they went out of their way to assist in all cases. Some spoke Japanese, which helped.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 4:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I did consultancy as Incheon was being built so was out there a fair amount. It's a nice city, with a reasonable amount to do, and Korean people themselves are pretty friendly.

Koreans use an alphabet - try to learn to read it a bit, helps with public transport, particularly if you are going off the beaten track (I found it helpful for buses).
Old Sep 30, 2013, 4:58 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
You could combine that with a hop over to the regions of Japan for a couple of days spa holiday.

JAL operates codeshares on KE metal from Incheon for example to Sapporo with lots of Onsen nearby or then maybe Fukuoka with the Kyushu spa destinations close.

I personally think 2-3 days in Seoul is enogh, having lived and worked there for several years.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
Why not consider the North ? I am off to Hong Kong in November followed by a week in Burma and 4 days in the DPRK. Should be a bit more interesting than the average jaunt and is actually very reasonable from a price perspective.
Well as London Airways doesn't like the north they only fly to the south

When I read about trips to North Korea it said that you needed to be accompanied by a guide everywhere. I'd find that frustrating.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 5:01 am

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, TK Elite, Hyatt Platinum
Very much recommend Seoul. The food is amazing!

I also recommend the Park Hyatt Seoul if you have any Hyatt Points, otherwise its a bit expensive. I stayed there for 2 nights and the service was incredible

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.