Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Response from BaxterStorey [lounge food hygiene "poor" rating]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2013, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 710 77345
A Food Safety Inspector from the London Borough of Hillingdon has inspected the food preparation areas of the Concorde Room and Galleries First Lounge at Heathrow Terminal 5 (run by BaxterStorey on behalf of British Airways) and has indicated under the Food Hygiene Rating Scheme that Food Hygiene and Safety is POOR:

It's an appalling score, putting the lounge in the bottom 10% of food establishments in England (worse than many burger vans and kebab shops!).

A 5/5 score was awarded in the past year to BA's T3 and (unspecified) Galleries T5 lounges (whilst under Compass' control prior to handover to BaxterStorey). Galleries Club Lounges in Terminal 5 A were reassessed in September 2013 and scored 4 (North Lounge) and 2 (South Lounge) - both are discussed here. Aer Lingus, Cathay, AA, Virgin and other airside lounges all scored 5/5. Gordon Ramsay's Plane Food received a 2/5 rating (food being cooked in a different way to the manual, burgers being kept warm rather than hot, a broken fridge and washing hands in a "utensil only" sink).

5 days after the score was first revealed on Flyertalk, BaxterStorey posted a statement just prior to a story being published in the Daily Mail (which was sourced from this thread!). A spokesperson for British Airways said "We work with BaxterStorey to provide a high quality service to customers using our lounges, and take all feedback seriously. We continue to invest in our product and are currently renovating our kitchen facilities.”

The Council's Report was obtained by Fife, published in .pdf here. The reasons for the poor score were not just the kitchen facilities, but included the following areas for immediate rectification:
Out of Date Ingredients: eggs and quince beyond their safe use-by date were being served to passengers.

Meat Stored at Room Temperature: ham sandwiches and cooked ham left at 16°C/61°F. The maximum safe temperature is 8°C/46°F

Hot Food Not Hot Enough: sausages and scrambled eggs left at 50°C/122°F. The minimum safe temperature is 63°C/145°F

Dirty Kitchen: 7 separate areas were found to be so dirty they needed an immediate thorough cleaning.

Cross Contamination of Food: a member of staff handled raw salmon, then immediately performed other kitchen duties without removing their gloves, or washing their hands, risking cross-contamination.

Risk of Access by Rats, Mice and Insects: a long gap in a kitchen back door required immediate filling to minimise pest entry points.
In addition, BaxterStorey were given until the end of September to accurately record the training given to their staff - Compass did not pass on their training records to BaxterStorey, and as BS had no record of training performed since it took over, BS was unable to hand any record of compliance with training standards to the inspector.
Print Wikipost

Response from BaxterStorey [lounge food hygiene "poor" rating]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:25 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by DFB_london
as mentioned before, it is great pity that posters here don't check their facts first.

In my second trip through the CCR this week, I can confirm that chatting to the BS manager (again) both approach to service in the kitchen and hardware in the kitchen have undergonechange since the assessment, which makes much of the commentarty on here just the usual second or third hand under informed, rear view mirror armchair expert pivoting. Fact.
I've only just received a gold card. Prior to that, I did get in to the CCR/GF during the relevant period, as a 'lowly' silver, being lucky enough to be travelling in first.

But regardless of status, as a user of the lounges, I feel entitled to give my opinion, based on the facts that are available to me....
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:26 am

And here is the food inspection report:
www.joe.org.uk/ba.pdf
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I find it odd the letter from Hillingdon is dated 29th July (the inspection was clearly carried out in the morning so likely it was typed when he got back to the office) but BS say they got it on 3rd September. A family friend runs a F&B business I am almost sure they received their rating/report within a week or so.

BS also say they got the report the same time it went on the FSA website. I find that hard to believe, given the letter says it will take 2-4 weeks from the date of their letter, which is 29th July. We can conclude that BS are BSing with regards to how long they have had to deal with it. I find it bizarre actually that they say they got it on 3rd September!
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by hugolover
I find it odd the letter from Hillingdon is dated 29th July (the inspection was clearly carried out in the morning so likely it was typed when he got back to the office) but BS say they got it on 3rd September. A family friend runs a F&B business I am almost sure they received their rating/report within a week or so.

BS also say they got the report the same time it went on the FSA website. I find that hard to believe, given the letter says it will take 2-4 weeks from the date of their letter, which is 29th July. We can conclude that BS are BSing with regards to how long they have had to deal with it. I find it bizarre actually that they say they got it on 3rd September!
Indeed and under other inspection based regulation - CQC or the HSE for example - the premises are given immediate feedback at the time of the inspection with the written report confirming what was said following on a short time afterwards.

And as much of the remedial actions are 'immediate' it would not make sense for that to be held back until a written report was submitted.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:48 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
It's very easy to play the Daily Mail I've discovered - I fed a story to the Mail last week that I thought would tick all 'angry; their boxes, and as a result got my company lots of free publicity as it was picked up immediately
Was it this one?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...offspring.html
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Some of the comments on the DM article are hilarious!
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:51 am
uk1
Suspended

If this is the real report then it is terrible reading. Out of date food, hot food kept too cool, cool food kept too hot, cross food contamination, no hand washing ....

I hope we see this on the FOI site just to reassure it is the real report.

Not doubting ... just cautious....

Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:54 am

as mentioned before, it is great pity that posters here don't check their facts first.

In my second trip through the CCR this week, I can confirm that chatting to the BS manager (again) both approach to service in the kitchen and hardware in the kitchen have undergonechange since the assessment, which makes much of the commentarty on here just the usual second or third hand under informed, rear view mirror armchair expert pivoting. Fact.
Absolutely. Well said. On the money.^

So checking my facts I found the following:

An anonymous poster to an Internet forum purports to have had a confidential conversation with an unnamed employee of Baxter Storey. That is a fact. Just to be clear, the posting and the purporting are definitely factual. The rest cannot be concluded to be facts.

Said employee purportedly said "approach" to service and "hardware" had changed. Excellent! Cannot deduce any facts from this purported exchange other than if it did happen said employee didn't really understand that the issue was relating to hygiene. However, given the anonymity, lack of independently verifiable evidence etc, I cannot be termed as factual.

One other fact that can be substantiated is that there was an independent assessment of the food preparation which found it to be hygienically deficient. Or as you'd say yourself - Fact!
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by uk1
If this is the real report then it is terrible reading. Out of date food, hot food kept too cool, cool food kept too hot, cross food contamination, no hand washing ....

I hope we see this on the FOI site just to reassure it is the real report.

Not doubting ... just cautious....
Entirely reasonable. I got this early by asking very nicely. If you want to verify the report, it was obtained from:

[Name redacted]
Principal Environmental Health Officer
Port Health
Public Protection
Residents' Services
London Borough of Hillingdon

Her telephone number is 01895 277411
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As mentioned before, it is a great pity that some posters here do not familiarise themselves with the meaning of the word "fact" before employing it.
Uh, no. This is not a fact: this is an opinion. It might perhaps conceivably be an informed opinion. but it remains nothing more than a mere opinion.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:05 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by fife
Entirely reasonable. I got this early by asking very nicely. If you want to verify the report, it was obtained from:

[Name redacted]
Principal Environmental Health Officer
Port Health
Public Protection
Residents' Services
London Borough of Hillingdon

Her telephone number is 01895 277411
Thanks. Appreciate it.

It is a truly terrible report that is totally mistifying. How on earth do they have "old eggs"? Are they buying them cheap? Do they not know you have to keep ham refrigerated for it to be safe? Do they not know that warm food creates dangerous bugs if not properly heated? And fancy not washing your dirty hands in front of a food inspector doing an inspection.

This is a terrible report and shows that management BA or BS couldn't be bothered to even have a look.

Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by fife
And here is the food inspection report:
www.joe.org.uk/ba.pdf
Read it and weep! Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

Nothing to do with compass.

Nothing to do with hardware.

Nothing to do with change of contract.

Just rotten food preparation practices, rotten dirt, cross contamination, food left out, food not kept hot, out of date food etc etc etc.

Ah but I know someone who talked to the man who said they were getting a new microwave and that sorted it all out.....
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:12 am

Programs: BD*G -> BA Gold + A3*G (now dropped to BA Silver)
How can confidence in management be rated high in the report?

Good management would have ensured all stock was in date.
Good management would ensure that staff were aware of food handling practices (one person there was preparing raw salmon with gloves on and didn't change their gloves to perform other duties).
Good management ensures the food is stored at the correct temperature.
Good management ensures that the equipment is kept clean.

The only issues in the report you could blame the kitchen itself on are items 4 (kitchen wall surfaces) and 7 (pest control).

After reading that report I'm surprised they didn't get a 1. There's no way I'd be confident in that management.

Looks like the testing was conducted entirely during breakfast time which is a shame as that's my favourite meal in the lounge.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:15 am
uk1
Suspended

deleted
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:17 am

Programs: BD*G -> BA Gold + A3*G (now dropped to BA Silver)
Originally Posted by Poxball
Nothing to do with compass.
Compass are mentioned, but its only a small part. They kept the staff training records.

So that meant BaxterStorey didn't know what training the staff already had! Whether that's Compass deliberately withholding the info or BaxterStorey not asking for it we don't know.

One thing is for certain, if there was no evidence of training BS should have put them on refresher courses. I say it again, confidence in management also needed a poor rating. This further proves it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.