Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Response from BaxterStorey [lounge food hygiene "poor" rating]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2013, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 710 77345
A Food Safety Inspector from the London Borough of Hillingdon has inspected the food preparation areas of the Concorde Room and Galleries First Lounge at Heathrow Terminal 5 (run by BaxterStorey on behalf of British Airways) and has indicated under the Food Hygiene Rating Scheme that Food Hygiene and Safety is POOR:

It's an appalling score, putting the lounge in the bottom 10% of food establishments in England (worse than many burger vans and kebab shops!).

A 5/5 score was awarded in the past year to BA's T3 and (unspecified) Galleries T5 lounges (whilst under Compass' control prior to handover to BaxterStorey). Galleries Club Lounges in Terminal 5 A were reassessed in September 2013 and scored 4 (North Lounge) and 2 (South Lounge) - both are discussed here. Aer Lingus, Cathay, AA, Virgin and other airside lounges all scored 5/5. Gordon Ramsay's Plane Food received a 2/5 rating (food being cooked in a different way to the manual, burgers being kept warm rather than hot, a broken fridge and washing hands in a "utensil only" sink).

5 days after the score was first revealed on Flyertalk, BaxterStorey posted a statement just prior to a story being published in the Daily Mail (which was sourced from this thread!). A spokesperson for British Airways said "We work with BaxterStorey to provide a high quality service to customers using our lounges, and take all feedback seriously. We continue to invest in our product and are currently renovating our kitchen facilities.”

The Council's Report was obtained by Fife, published in .pdf here. The reasons for the poor score were not just the kitchen facilities, but included the following areas for immediate rectification:
Out of Date Ingredients: eggs and quince beyond their safe use-by date were being served to passengers.

Meat Stored at Room Temperature: ham sandwiches and cooked ham left at 16°C/61°F. The maximum safe temperature is 8°C/46°F

Hot Food Not Hot Enough: sausages and scrambled eggs left at 50°C/122°F. The minimum safe temperature is 63°C/145°F

Dirty Kitchen: 7 separate areas were found to be so dirty they needed an immediate thorough cleaning.

Cross Contamination of Food: a member of staff handled raw salmon, then immediately performed other kitchen duties without removing their gloves, or washing their hands, risking cross-contamination.

Risk of Access by Rats, Mice and Insects: a long gap in a kitchen back door required immediate filling to minimise pest entry points.
In addition, BaxterStorey were given until the end of September to accurately record the training given to their staff - Compass did not pass on their training records to BaxterStorey, and as BS had no record of training performed since it took over, BS was unable to hand any record of compliance with training standards to the inspector.
Print Wikipost

Response from BaxterStorey [lounge food hygiene "poor" rating]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2013, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI des Soins Medicaux, Le médecin personnel à PUCCI GALORE
Originally Posted by 710 77345
A real shame that we (some of BA's best customers) have been discussing it for 5 days without any response, and it takes the Daily Mail (and we know how much they love BA) to get this published
Agree, it just shows the power of the press. FT is a drop in the ocean and the reality is, anyone posting on the BA forum probably will fly BA again, no matter what the FSA rating. BA of course know that.

The writing of the article is very familiar though, mind you most of the Mail reads like it has been cut and pasted from elsewhere
Old Sep 25, 2013, 12:59 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by hammythehammer
Certainly some posters have been left with egg on their face ( as well as the underside of their plate)
I'm in GC T5B right now waiting for a delayed flight. We'd (probably quite literally) kill for egg on the underside of our plate...
Old Sep 25, 2013, 12:59 pm

Programs: MUCCI :D, BA Lifetime Gold, JJC (1980 the Leo Budd years) Hilton Gold
[RANT]

I'm sorry, but what utter tosh.

If Compass were able to produce a palatable CCR pre-flight dining menu, and other such items with the facilities they had, why do BS (yes they speak their name too) need a refurb and a recruitment drive (I thought old Compass staff were ported over) to fix their problems?

To this end, I am thinking of asking BA to pay for my pre-flight dining in Plan Food, rather than put up with this endless BS bs.

[/RANT]
Old Sep 25, 2013, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Glad to see a response, although echo comments from others that it was a shame that it took media involvement to elicit a response and very disappointing that BA themselves have not replied and instead just passed it off to their sub-contractor - surely a joint statement would have been more appropriate? Still awaiting a reply from BA to my email on this topic.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 1:13 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
I've just eaten half a bowl of the penne with tomato and basil sauce, wondering about the taste before finally twigging that the (big, visible, crunchy) herb element is coriander leaf, not basil. I kid you not!!!

I love coriander, but entirely wrong for this kind of dish.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 1:21 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I'm rather surprised by the timing of this reply.

It is good to see a response from BS. I wonder why this sort of general "We promise to do better" wasn't put out days ago when the story broke.
they had to have their lawyers look at it...

it is a good response IMO
Old Sep 25, 2013, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by boadh398
[RANT]
To this end, I am thinking of asking BA to pay for my pre-flight dining in Plan[e] Food, rather than put up with this endless BS bs.
[/RANT]
Plane food also received a 2/5 rating IIRC. I don't think your argument holds any weight:

"I refuse to eat at an establishment which you have catered that receives a low hygiene rating.

Therefore, you should pay me to eat at a restaurant which has the same (low) rating."
Old Sep 25, 2013, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, Gulf Air Silver, Aegean Gold, M&M FQTV, Air Malta Diamond
Originally Posted by stevie
To BA,

When I purchase a ticket I pay the fee to BA. I do not pay BA for the the flying bit, and BS for the lounge bit, and LHR for the train/security bit.

So why are we hearing from BS directly, as they are your supplier/sub-contractor. This is BA's responsibility, the head of procurement, the head of catering, and ultimately the CEO. So what has BA to say about their utter failure in managing this vitally important aspect of their business?

I would never dream of taking this action with my small business. I would have taken responsibility immediately, made the necessary chnages, and communicated to my customers.

In saying that it is good to see you are acting given the mail article. Pity they did not run an article about the deplorable food offerings some months ago.
+1 ^
Old Sep 25, 2013, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, Gulf Air Silver, Aegean Gold, M&M FQTV, Air Malta Diamond
I vote for Wetherspoons (5/5) to take over the lounges and the cleaning of the BA fleet.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 2:12 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Reads like BA have hung their supplier out to dry rather than fronting up themselves, I'm afraid.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 2:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
At the beginning, I thought things might be improving. Then I read the Daily Mail Two flies, to serve article. Well, now I am sure that things are the same, or actually worse - they are never going to improve.

I am not exactly worried that I am going to die after lounge visit. What annoys me most is that we are being laughed at by BA...

(5/5)
Old Sep 25, 2013, 3:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Willie Walsh has been openly criticising the boss of HAL lately for (in his opinion) an inability to run the airport properly. And yet not a peep from him or any senior BA management in regards to this highly brand-damaging article.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Plenty of pax will be reading this article on a BA flight and in their lounges tomorrow!
Old Sep 25, 2013, 3:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI des Soins Medicaux, Le médecin personnel à PUCCI GALORE
Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
Reads like BA have hung their supplier out to dry rather than fronting up themselves, I'm afraid.
Isn't that one of the benefits of outsourcing
Old Sep 25, 2013, 3:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG & Accor Plat...
Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
+1

Next they'll be blaming airbus or Boeing when a flight is running late !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.