tier points on AA from JFK

Old Sep 27, 13, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

Any advice or thoughts as to why business class trips on AA from JFK to bogota and Mexico City earn 0 tier points on the tier point calculator but flights from JFK to Caracas, Santiago, rio etc earn the standard amounts?

Thanks
Old Sep 27, 13, 8:36 am
dsf

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Justonemore View Post
Any advice or thoughts as to why business class trips on AA from JFK to bogota and Mexico City earn 0 tier points on the tier point calculator but flights from JFK to Caracas, Santiago, rio etc earn the standard amounts?

Thanks
AA don't fly JFK-MEX or JFK-BOG
http://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/where...false&from=Nav

Any time you can't get a direct flight, you need to feed each sector into the calculator separately.
Old Sep 27, 13, 8:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Justonemore View Post
I am afraid you can't rely on that link either, even on segmented queries. Unless it is operated as a codeshare by another airline apart from AA (e.g. Alaska) then standard TPs apply. What seems to happen is that if the route is new, or taken off and re-instated, the time lag causes a zero entry, or sometimes Avios appears but not TPs or vice versa. Best stick to the basic principles. Happens on Air Berlin and Finnair network as well, and even for BA new routes too.
Old Sep 27, 13, 8:38 am

Probably a bug in the calculator.

<2000 miles - 40 TPs
>2000 miles - 140 TPs
Old Sep 27, 13, 8:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
There use to be one direct flight JFK-BOG about 4/5 years ago but it looks like have to flight JFK-MIA-BOG on AA. So you need to look up JFK-MIA and MIA-BOG.

If JFK-MIA in F (60 TPs) and MIA-BOG in C (40 TPs), so only 100 TPs in total Flew this once. It was the same plane that JFK-MIA that flew on to MIA-BOG. Sat in the same seat but the class of the cabin "changed" at Miami. The only difference was that AA threw in a small pillow for the MIA-BOG segment but no pillow on the domestic segment.

If AA flew JFK-BOG direct in C would be 140TPs as it is over 2,000 TPs.

Its the same with MEX. You have to connect via MIA
Old Sep 27, 13, 9:10 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
I flew this route (JFK-MIA-BOG) this week. For me it wasn't a same plane as the first sector was a 757 and second a 767
Old Sep 27, 13, 10:23 am

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Do AA offer business class on that route? Is it perhaps not ticketed as first even if you can get a 'direct' (as opposed to 'non-stop') flight?

Edit: yes, they do offer business, but not first.
Old Sep 27, 13, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To add to what others have said, the instructions for the calculator state that one must enter each segment individually for the best results.
From ba.com:
For a guide to how many Avios and Tier points you could collect on your trip, use the calculator below.

Enter your trip according to the flights shown on your itinerary. For example for Edinburgh to JFK via London, enter Edinburgh to London then London to JFK.
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...r/public/en_gb

Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
Do AA offer business class on that route? Is it perhaps not ticketed as first even if you can get a 'direct' (as opposed to 'non-stop') flight?

Edit: yes, they do offer business, but not first.
AA two class flights to Caribbean and international destinations are marketed as business and coach instead of first and coach.
Old Sep 27, 13, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

Oversight on my part, I completely assumed there would be direct flights from JFK to MEX and BOG, for the tier points I'd hoped there would be. I might cancel the MEX visit and go JFK - DFW - BOG and back which should give 360 TPs as the DFW - BOG is over 2000 miles

Thanks all for your help

Search this Thread