Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ipads replacing whiteboards at airports

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2013, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsinsyd
You must be a very miserable person based on your posts.
Thanks! Sounds like you've been chatting to mrs shorthauldad?

There is a new IT tool now in operation in case of cancellation or mass disruption which rebooks passengers automatically.
Sounds nice ... except can pax actually change the rebooking using MMB?

Example: the LH strike earlier this year. Got an email from them fessing up to having cancelled more or less their entire schedule ... and a link to the equivalent of MMB, where I could choose whether to a) cancel completely (and get full refund), b) attempt to rebook for alternative flight/route on same day [was never going to happen in that particular scenario], or c) rebook for different day that week. NB: the rebooking that was being offered was effectively the entire itinerary (including connections), none of this nonsense about rebooking the single delayed/cancelled flight but ignoring the connections resulting in an "unflyable" itinearary. At no point did I have to pick up the telephone. ^ BA take note...

(snip stuff that other airports have had for ages)
Sounds like LHR is finally starting to catch up with everyone else! Good to hear.

Few days ago LHR suffered from heavy fog resulting in 30 cancellations and thousands of MICs. System worked brilliantly.
30 flights? Well, a good small-scale trial. A very miserable person might suggest that's "small beer" compared with LHR's past winters. Will be nice to see how it copes when the **** really hits the fan!

Question: will the roaming iPad agents actually be able to do rebookings? or do they just point pax to somewhere/someone that can?

PS I guess we all know that if 6" of snow falls quickly at LHR that even if they have 10,000 snowploughs we are going to end up with chaos? Something to do with having to shut runways, taxiways and stands while you plough them...
Old Sep 27, 2013, 12:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL & LTG, EK Silver, HHonors Lifetime Diamond; Proudly Mucci Free - total nonsense

Few days ago LHR suffered from heavy fog resulting in 30 cancellations and thousands of MICs. System worked brilliantly.
I was caught up in the cancellations, missing my connecting flight. I didn't see any changes at all to how it was dealt with. Got no text/email notification, relied on the web to show me actual depart time of my connections, and had to stand in a line for about 90 minutes to get rebooked.

This was an inbound T3 connection to a T1 domestic connection, if that is any different.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 3:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze

There is a new IT tool now in operation in case of cancellation or mass disruption which rebooks passengers automatically. A new permanent Disruption Team Manager has been set up for winter to deal with any potential cancellations and coordinate disruption handling. More winter deicing machines have been bought. Every department within British Airways has been trained or will be trained over coming weeks to handle new procedures set up in times of disruption. Staff at LHR equipped now with iPad Minis can retrieve booking and advise passengers where to go get a hotel, get rebooked, etc. IT system has been updated to send passengers email and text the moment flight is cancelled, it has not been the case in the past or was inconsistent.

While the ultimate goal is a massive change to how disruption is handled, this will not all come at once. There are various things in the works, which include some of these things. There isn't a permanent disruption manager, but what I suspect what you are referring to is the new role to better manager how de-icing and other ramp operations function during severe weather. This position is wider than just dealing with disruption.

One of the ultimate goals is to send all passengers information regarding cancellations but there are a few obstacles which are being addressed. Key to this is the issue of 'trade' bookings where BA does not have the passenger's contact info or where it has been entered into the wrong field in the booking, which means it isn't picked up by the system.

Many of the planning is still weeks away from implementation, but the fog disruption did allow for some limited testing of some aspects. There will not be an overnight change to how things are managed, but the aim is to have a much better proposition in place during the coming winter and to continue to look at improvements.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Whiteboards are only ever used by BA at Heathrow during irrops. I have never seen them being used in normal operations.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 6:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Best Western Diamond

There is a new IT tool now in operation in case of cancellation or mass disruption which rebooks passengers automatically. A new permanent Disruption Team Manager has been set up for winter to deal with any potential cancellations and coordinate disruption handling. More winter deicing machines have been bought. Every department within British Airways has been trained or will be trained over coming weeks to handle new procedures set up in times of disruption. Staff at LHR equipped now with iPad Minis can retrieve booking and advise passengers where to go get a hotel, get rebooked, etc. IT system has been updated to send passengers email and text the moment flight is cancelled, it has not been the case in the past or was inconsistent.

I am pleased this is happening. I am not sure what happened last Wednesday when the belts were down. People who were at the First checkin who missed their flights had to queue again to get rebooked - I didn't notice anyone with an IPad - including the Premium manager!
Old Sep 28, 2013, 6:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by cme17
I am pleased this is happening. I am not sure what happened last Wednesday when the belts were down. People who were at the First checkin who missed their flights had to queue again to get rebooked - I didn't notice anyone with an IPad - including the Premium manager!

Your too quick

I was about to bring up the same issue from Wednesday.

It's a big shame that HAL doesn't seem to be investing as much in technology !

Mind you, BA allowed my mums flight to take off knowing that her bags had not been loaded, makes you wonder why nobody with access to this information via an iPad made her aware

Things were just as bad at LAX by all accounts where all the staff washed their hands of it and hid !

cs
Old Sep 29, 2013, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by cme17
Hang on, lhrsinsyd said that Manage My Booking can cure all known ills rebook flights (?) ... or does MMB only offer flight rebooking in case of disruption if you're a very miserable person?
Old Sep 29, 2013, 2:44 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by cornishsimon
Mind you, BA allowed my mums flight to take off knowing that her bags had not been loaded, makes you wonder why nobody with access to this information via an iPad made her aware
BA would probably not tell a passenger this if there were lots of baggage discrepancies, it often causes more trouble that it is worth (e.g. distressed passenger trying to get off aircraft) particularly if they don't fly so often. If your mum had status they may pass on that information, or may not. They seem to be more pro-active these days, even if it is after departure, thanks to the technology. However if you suspect - for whatever reason - that something has gone awry at T5 then there is a self help bit: just ask the person on the airbridge two thirds of the way down with a computer. They can see the status of bags for that flight if you have your baggage coupons handy.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 3:51 am

Programs: BA gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
BA would probably not tell a passenger this if there were lots of baggage discrepancies, it often causes more trouble that it is worth (e.g. distressed passenger trying to get off aircraft) particularly if they don't fly so often... <snip>

...However if you suspect - for whatever reason - that something has gone awry at T5 then there is a self help bit: just ask the person on the airbridge two thirds of the way down with a computer. They can see the status of bags for that flight if you have your baggage coupons handy.
Will have to try and remember this the next time my bags don't go with me as it's such a pain when my final destination beyond BA's end point is an unknown place for an unknown duration, reachable only by helicopter or several days in a 4x4.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 4:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Stez
Will have to try and remember this the next time my bags don't go with me as it's such a pain when my final destination beyond BA's end point is an unknown place for an unknown duration, reachable only by helicopter or several days in a 4x4.
Yeah it all goes a bit fuzzy north of Morpeth.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yeah it all goes a bit fuzzy north of Morpeth Watford
Hope you don't mind, but I've corrected that typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.