Targeted mailings from BAEC

Old Sep 25, 13, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver. London Cycling Campaign. TfL Oyster auto-topup.
Targeted mailings from BAEC

No, not as exciting as you might have thought.

Received an email this morning starting out:

"Dear Mr NoTiersForMe,
We couldn't help noticing that you're considering a trip to Boston. Perfect. Why not let the excitement start right away by booking with British Airways?"

It then went on into standard drivel about what my membership level entitles and then some bumf what to do in Boston [thanks, got my own idea, ta]

So, basically, does this mean BA is monitoring every fare search I do on the website? I guess this would make sense as I'm now seeing on the BAEC homepage part alongside future bookings and recent avios transactions a new section -- recent searches.

I shall be investigating my opt out options on marketing materials more closely!
Old Sep 25, 13, 8:22 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by NoTiersForMe View Post
So, basically, does this mean BA is monitoring every fare search I do on the website? I guess this would make sense as I'm now seeing on the BAEC homepage part alongside future bookings and recent avios transactions a new section -- recent searches.
Yes, and potentially on other travel related sites too.
Old Sep 25, 13, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Is it a good idea for BA to do this. It might take some people by surprise and make them feel uncomfortable that BA are monitoring their searches.

If they want to do this it's probably best to look like a general promotional email for Boston. Rather than outright saying: "We couldn't help noticing that you're considering a trip to Boston"
Old Sep 25, 13, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver. London Cycling Campaign. TfL Oyster auto-topup.
I guess I was asking rhetorically on their [and other sites'] monitoring my activity. Fully subscribed to the Google/NSA knows everything brigade.

I guess the more paranoid question would be how far BA monitors every keystroke. For example, each time I make a dummy avios booking to check the upgrade availability on a flight they already know I have a seat on might then influence their inventory control systems / their offers to me of upgrades. I'd like to think not given some basic more issues with ba.com's functionality!!

Search this Thread