WW "airlines to go bust"

Old Apr 6, 2019, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by PrimaVista
From a fleet of 119 aircraft, Jet Airways are down to flying 18. Many are being derigistered by lessors and flown out of India.

‘I know one employee who hasn’t been paid since the end of last year.

Meanwhile, Air India have frames all over the place, either cannibalised for parts or not airworthy whilst they await maintenance.

You can guarantee only one will be allowed to fail...
Air India is going nowhere. The government will see to that.

On the other hand I reckon Jet is finished for all intents and purposes.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:13 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Jet Airways has suspended all international flights after several aircraft were seized for non-payment of fuel and other charges:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47905089

Jet Airways appears to have suspended all its international flights, raising fresh fears about the survival of India's largest private airline.
The airline, saddled with more than $1bn (Ł765m) of debt, is seeking a financial lifeline to avoid collapse.
The Indian government said steps were being taken to ensure passenger safety after flights were cancelled.
Carriers in India must maintain a fleet of least 20 aircraft to continue to operate international services.
On Thursday, the airline grounded 10 more planes over unpaid fees to leasing firms and several local media reported the airline is now operating 14 planes.
I saw a Jet 777 parked up at Schiphol on Wednesday evening. Usually it's visible when you arrive in the mornings, parked up on the stands opposite the G and H piers but unusually this time it was parked up in the evening. It was reported as having been seized for non-payment of fuel bills.
etiene likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Jet Airways has suspended all operations: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47963536
The airline said its last flight would operate on Wednesday as it was not able to pay for fuel and other critical services.

Jet Airways said it had no choice but to suspend the flights, but hopes to start flying again.

It has $1.2bn (Ł900m) debt and has been in talks with lenders for weeks.
The Indian government had asked state-run banks to step in with a bailout plan for the airline - which employs 23,000 people and was founded by Naresh Goyal more than 25 years ago. He stepped down as chairman last month

Pilots, engineers, and ground staff have not been paid for months...

Etihad Airways already owns 24% of Jet Airways and is reported to have expressed an interest in taking more control.
Another successful investment by Etihad, to go along with Darwin Airline, Air Berlin, and Alitalia. Is this a rerun of the "Swissair strategy"?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Sad, where’s the Grim Reaper when you need them?
rapidex and MFCC like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Good question the Cruz has not been seen for a while
psollitt and JimEddie like this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 6:03 am

Resurrecting the thread for yet another potential 'about to fold': Adria Airways ('national' carrier of Slovenia, they operate a number of flights on behalf of Lufthansa and other airlines as well) has been struggling for quite some time now but, during a press conference in Ljubljana this morning, their executives basically said that they would desperately need a "strategic partner" (translated into English: "We ran out of cash"...) in order to "maintain scheduled operations". What is most worrying is that they have been cancelling a signifcant number of flights recently and also 'merging' services, not to mention the chronic delays. By all means, not looking pretty here.

G
Old Jun 27, 2019, 6:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Ljubljana
So a few weeks before BA's inaugural flight there...
PrimaVista likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I suppose it will be like MALEV , just disappear and the vacuum will be filled by other airlines.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
It definitely feels a bit like the days of "Go big or go home". With all the mergers and consolidations and fierce competition from the likes of FR and U2, it is becoming increasingly challenging for smaller players to survive.
I was actually quite surprised to see VS posting a loss of only Ł26.1M in in 2018, but even then I think they are the ones in a dire need of a "strategic partner" too.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by luitje
It definitely feels a bit like the days of "Go big or go home". With all the mergers and consolidations and fierce competition from the likes of FR and U2, it is becoming increasingly challenging for smaller players to survive.
I was actually quite surprised to see VS posting a loss of only Ł26.1M in in 2018, but even then I think they are the ones in a dire need of a "strategic partner" too.
They have one. Delta owns 49%
DYKWIA and alex67500 like this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by rapidex
They have one. Delta owns 49%
Right, with friends like this, who needs enemies...
Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Resurrecting the thread for yet another potential 'about to fold': Adria Airways ('national' carrier of Slovenia, they operate a number of flights on behalf of Lufthansa and other airlines as well) has been struggling for quite some time now but, during a press conference in Ljubljana this morning, their executives basically said that they would desperately need a "strategic partner" (translated into English: "We ran out of cash"...) in order to "maintain scheduled operations". What is most worrying is that they have been cancelling a signifcant number of flights recently and also 'merging' services, not to mention the chronic delays. By all means, not looking pretty here.

G
I'm amazed they haven't already been gobbled up by the LH group
Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
I'm amazed they haven't already been gobbled up by the LH group
Why would they? It is a pretty small market in roughly the same area where LH has already got a hub (VIE). Hate to say it, but baby JATs are doomed. With the level of animosity between the governments of former Yugoslavia republics there's very little chance likes of Adria and Croatia will be consolidated under Air Serbia, and on their own they are two small to survive.
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba

Why would they? It is a pretty small market in roughly the same area where LH has already got a hub (VIE). Hate to say it, but baby JATs are doomed. With the level of animosity between the governments of former Yugoslavia republics there's very little chance likes of Adria and Croatia will be consolidated under Air Serbia, and on their own they are two small to survive.
True LH group can pretty well put them out of business without buying them as they completely monopolize Mittel Europa. I'm amazed Czech has survived
Old Jun 28, 2019, 1:40 am

Agreed on all fronts. Historically, LH Group has always had an impressive presence in terms of network here in the Balkans and I honestly cannot see what they would be achieving with a tiny carrier operating from a 'weak' and indeed mostly leisure-orientated market (i.e. Slovenia/Ljubljana). Incidentally, Croatian [Airlines] has also been struggling for quite some time now and, same story, they often come out publicly saying that they are in need of a 'partner', which needless to say is a desperate call for financial help. Air Serbia has a somewhat larger network out of Belgrade and has been expanding recently, they are however virtually owned (49%) by Etihad and, knowing their far from impeccable records when it comes to managing other 'basket cases', I'm not really sure it will be a success either.

G

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.