WW "airlines to go bust"

Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver | Hilton Honors - Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
For those using UK credit cards, I wonder whether the credit card company has to pay because of its CCA obligations?

under Section 75 of CCA. The card issuer is held jointly liable and has to reimburse the card holder in the event of a airline going bankrupt. That’s why you should ALWAYS pay by credit card, even with the big airlines.
mrow likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:29 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jambon87
under Section 75 of CCA. The card issuer is held jointly liable and has to reimburse the card holder in the event of a airline going bankrupt. That’s why you should ALWAYS pay by credit card, even with the big airlines.
yes but I think the question was more would that liability extend to any EC261 compensation which would have been due to the passenger from that airline?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver | Hilton Honors - Gold
No, the card issuer wouldn’t be liable to pay out the EC261 compensation. They would merely repay the monies that the card holder had paid for the fare.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
Loganair to takeover 3 ex-bmi routes from Aberdeen

BBC Article
They are also taking over the two NCL routes - to BRU and SVG.

https://www.loganair.co.uk/flybmi-update-17th-february/

Almost as if it were planned?
tedcruz likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
For those using UK credit cards, I wonder whether the credit card company has to pay because of its CCA obligations?
If the airline doesn't provide the service purchased, then you can have the transaction voided (original amount returned) in most or all countries provided that you haven't paid for the ticket yet. For example, you haven't paid yet if you paid by credit card and haven't paid your credit card bill yet. The banks take a hit unless they have some collateral for this.

I wonder if customers who booked a return trip with the outbound leg taking place before the bankruptcy can refuse to pay for the outbound leg, stating that the price of the outbound is less than the cost of the 261/2004 obligations of the return.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Jambon87

During the bankruptcy of Air Berlin a year and a half ago it was found that quite a lot of pax had paid by direct debit or bank transfer. Germans aren't really into credit cards and tend to shun them, to their credit! I recall reading on VFT that some folk had got their money back from the Insolvenzverwalter somehow.

Quite right, the advice about always paying flights with a credit card (plus, I think some of those cards carry other insurances too). But even I was paying most of the time my AB flights by direct transfer (Lastschrift), because I wanted to avoid the 10 Euros extra fee for using a credit card.

As far as a couple of award tickets I had booked on AB using BAEC Avios, I was rebooked onto British Airways services.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:29 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by tigertanaka
They are also taking over the two NCL routes - to BRU and SVG.

https://www.loganair.co.uk/flybmi-update-17th-february/

Almost as if it were planned?
I don't think so, at least at the NCL end. The boards this evening showed it as cancelled, and the airport handling agents have only just heard.

Incudently I really hope that BACF take LDY to LCY (currently STN).
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I don't think so, at least at the NCL end. The boards this evening showed it as cancelled, and the airport handling agents have only just heard.

Newcastle Chronicle reporting that Logainair taking over Brussels and Stavanger from.Newcastle but I can’t post the link as it’s on Facebook and I’m on an iPad.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:37 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
Newcastle Chronicle reporting that Logainair taking over Brussels and Stavanger from. Ewcastle but I can’t post the link as it’s on Facebook and I’m on an iPad.
I think that is how the NCL staff found out.....
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Some person
If the airline doesn't provide the service purchased, then you can have the transaction voided (original amount returned) in most or all countries provided that you haven't paid for the ticket yet. For example, you haven't paid yet if you paid by credit card and haven't paid your credit card bill yet. The banks take a hit unless they have some collateral for this.
In the specific context of my earlier post, I was wondering whether the credit card company might be liable under the CCA for the 261/2004 compensation as well.

Having since had a look at the CCA itself, I'm inclined to agree with Jambon87 that the answer is no.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.

I wonder if this might end up with Loganair too, fitting in with the Dundee flights to Stansted?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
I wonder if this might end up with Loganair too, fitting in with the Dundee flights to Stansted?
Loganair already run a service from GLA to nearby CFN ("Donegal", kind of) with BA codeshares on it.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Loganair already run a service from GLA to nearby CFN ("Donegal", kind of) with BA codeshares on it.
They have also been running LDY-GLA since Ryanair moved the route to EDI instead.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Concerto
Quite right, the advice about always paying flights with a credit card (plus, I think some of those cards carry other insurances too). But even I was paying most of the time my AB flights by direct transfer (Lastschrift), because I wanted to avoid the 10 Euros extra fee for using a credit card.
In that situation (fee for paying by credit card), your risk management department should determine the appropriate payment method. Credit card = high fee but low risk; bank transfer = low fee but high risk.
Loganair states:
Aberdeen to Bristol (commences 4th March)
Aberdeen to Oslo (commences 4th March)
Aberdeen to Esbjerg (commences 4th March)
Newcastle to Stavanger (commences 25th March)
Newcastle to Brussels (commences 25th March)
In other words, it looks as if the routes from NCL will be cancelled until late March. If it was planned, then maybe planes would have been ready to immediately take over the routes?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:12 pm
ECR

I really hope that happens, but don't hold out much hope. Loganair seem the most likely. It is a shame Loganair operate under their own brand and are no longer a BA franchisee.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.