Search

WW "airlines to go bust"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Prospero
I'm curious as to why Connect Airways has no interest in retaining the LGW slots through the purchase of FlyBe
What is interesting is that VY is paying half now, half in June, so it clearly isn't desperation for Ł4.5m of cash.

At the end of the day it has slots for one route and one route only, assuming a 3 x daily schedule, and it probably isn't worth the effort.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Raffles
I get a feeling that the Virgin thinking was along the lines of 'Flybe codeshares deliver us Łx of Manchester long-haul business of which a fair bit will disappear if IAG buys Flybe and cancels our codeshares, or Flybe goes bust. Investing Ły in buying Flybe is a way of protecting our annual income of Łx.'

Brand-wise, I don't think this will do much for Virgin Atlantic because they can't do much to make Flybe 'special' even if they wanted to.

The opportunity to get Virgin status via Flybe may appeal to some though.

We do at least have "a brand" operating niche domestic flights now, though. With respect to Eastern, Loganair etc you always got the impression that this wasn't a sector taken seriously.
Aye, figures that this would happen after I did 22 segments with them last year, only earning a paltry amount of Avios as a result. Will probably do a lot less flying with BE this year (due to changed circumstances).

EDIT: If this means LH flights from BHX, though, then the possibilities become more interesting!
frank_poulankh likes this.

Last edited by Mordac; Jan 12, 2019 at 11:11 am
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Nimrod1965
In my personal experience, FlyMayBe are too quick to cancel a service for a multitude of reasons which means I wouldn’t book with them again and maybe a lot of people think the same. Wouldn’t surprise me if they did fold but that would be harsh for those living in the southwest.

And yet they are the most punctual airline in the UK...

http://www.irishnews.com/business/20...ality-1523648/

"...Flybe was the only UK-based airline to feature in the three Top 10 lists published by FlightGlobal, placing eighth in the major airline table with a 77 per cent on time performance record during 2018..."

https://buyingbusinesstravel.com/new...ual-uk-airline
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
If the flight doesn’t operate, it can’t be late!

I admit to not actually tracking on-time arrivals, so long as I meet the needs of the next sector (air or ground).
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Still, that would apply to all the airlines in the list.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Flybe’s performance for me has been great, and they do a very good job of connecting the UK regions. Connecting at their mini-hubs at BHX and MAN is much easier than connecting in London. Of two major IRROPs, one (weather at LCY) was dealt with by a pre-emptive diversion to SEN with coaches in place for swift onward transfer, and the other (weather then tech then curfew at LCY) was sorted with a transfer to LHR for overnight and first BA flight of the day. EC261 compensation paid for the second one swiftly without quibble.
Sealink likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Germania has stopped all operations, I expected them to pull through, but it’s a tough winter out there...

https://www.dw.com/en/berlins-german...hts/a-47359882
Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:58 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Your not wrong, even Ryanair have posted a loss.

Germania inventory stands at
19 Airbus A319s, six A321s, one A320 and four Boeing 737-700s. It also holds an order for 25 A320neos.

Valuable to some one.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
It really is sad to see yet another airline go under in Europe

I feel for all the staff, luckily other airlines are recruiting flight crews but I do feel for the cabin crews here

I also have to wonder how long it will be before we see BA starting to pick up some of the A320/1s that seem to be coming available for the LGW operation.

cs
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Worcester
Your not wrong, even Ryanair have posted a loss.

Germania inventory stands at
19 Airbus A319s, six A321s, one A320 and four Boeing 737-700s. It also holds an order for 25 A320neos.

Valuable to some one.
Anyone know how Airbus treats bankruptcy?

Would someone buy the shell just to queue-jump for A321neos?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Raffles

Anyone know how Airbus treats bankruptcy?

Would someone buy the shell just to queue-jump for A321neos?
if it is held on the books which it would be (ala DY writing up value of early slots as an asset) then in theory it is a distributable asset. Of course Airbus May have a clause which stipulate that in a bankruptcy the slot reverts to them. I’d say that depends if any money has been exchanged.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
I saw a Germania aircraft pushing back at TLS this afternoon around 16:15 - returning to base?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by Vinotraveller
I saw a Germania aircraft pushing back at TLS this afternoon around 16:15 - returning to base?

i think all aircraft had RTBd prior to the shutdown. Could it of been flug ?

i know that Germania did have the airbus shuttle contract but reports elsewhere suggest that no flights operated today and airbus are looking at alternatives

iv had a quick look through the TLS departures from fr24 and nothing stands out. Suppose it’s possible that they had a airbus shuttle aircraft overnighting in TLS but suspect if they have folded the company that the plant was being moved to a remote stand rather than flown anywhere unless it was the leasing company grabbing it back ?

cs
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
Interesting - there is one here at TLS today - HB-JOG. Sitting at Gate 35. A tug is attached, I am wondering if this is what I saw yesterday and it wasn’t actually pushing back, just stuck here? Sorry for getting a bit OT.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
It turns out that Germania's bankruptcy has not affected its Swiss (Germania Flug) or Bulgarian (Bulgarian Eagle) subsidiaries. So could that be the explanation?

The HB- registration would seem to support that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.