Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WW "airlines to go bust"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I expect Norwegian would suffer the same problems as Little Red did: with no alliance or interline agreements, they would be limited to point to point traffic. Traffic from Scotland to Heathrow has a lot of competition: for much of London, Stansted or Gatwick are equally (in) convenient and Easyjet and Ryanair are there already, there are also the trains from Edinburgh and Glasgow for some people, and obviously the very budget coach or driving yourself. The connecting passengers are vital for revenue to such a high-cost airport.

Now, if Norwegian could somehow be a well-organised feeder for the Star Alliance and Skyteam, that might be of interesting - but then, BA already have some of that business and a lot of the rest of the long haul business on Star and Skyteam goes via another European hub. MAN/EDI/NCL/GLA/etc to AMS/FRA/CPH/etc to the world. But it would at least let them support themselves with more than O/D which we know doesn't work well, it's written on Little Red's epitaph.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Breaking news, flybe up for sale

rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by cornishsimon
This sort of thing makes me laugh. Flybe is a quoted company. As there is no controlling shareholder, it has ALWAYS been up for sale - the price is printed in the newspapers every morning. The board may now have agreed not to cause a fuss if someone starts buying up the shares, but they never had any real option if someone wanted to buy it.

IAG is also up for sale - the price is printed in the FT. Same with easyJet, same with Ryanair.

Ironically, the only airline not 'up for sale' is the one that everyone thinks is - Norwegian, where the CEO has an effectively controlling shareholding.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Concerto
Actually, Privatair is the latest in a fairly short list of Swiss airlines to disappear, starting with Darwin Airline and running through SkyWork in Berne to Privatair which is based in Geneva. There's nothing left in Swiss aviation now, as SWISS belongs to Lufthansa and Helvetic Airways and Edelweiss Air belong to SWISS, which in turn belongs to Lufthansa. A real shame, but the country is too small to support loads of airlines.
I thought EasyJet Switzerland was only 49% owned by Easyjet and the rest owned by Swiss investors?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Identical thread regarding Flybe;
Downward trend at flybe
Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by Raffles
This sort of thing makes me laugh. Flybe is a quoted company. As there is no controlling shareholder, it has ALWAYS been up for sale - the price is printed in the newspapers every morning. The board may now have agreed not to cause a fuss if someone starts buying up the shares, but they never had any real option if someone wanted to buy it.

IAG is also up for sale - the price is printed in the FT. Same with easyJet, same with Ryanair.

But why then is it a story on the BBC's front page and covered in the FT? Both news outlets that publish lots of share prices, including Flybe's. My guess is that these news outlets have significant doubts as to whether they will be publishing Flybe's share price for much longer. The same doubts don't apply to IAG, Easyjet etc. If it did, they'd be on the front page too.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 11:59 pm

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Dan72
But why then is it a story on the BBC's front page and covered in the FT?
The difference is the board are actively looking for a buyer. They think ‘the game is up’ on Flybe staying independent.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 12:32 am

Interesting, given their widely publicised financial difficulties, that they’re launching NCL-LCY from January (h/t @Raffles this morning).

Would be a fairly handy link for those of us in the north east, but also a bit of a pain if they it suddenly ceased operation for any reason once you were relying on it.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 12:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by squawk
Interesting, given their widely publicised financial difficulties, that they’re launching NCL-LCY from January (h/t @Raffles this morning).

Would be a fairly handy link for those of us in the north east, but also a bit of a pain if they it suddenly ceased operation for any reason once you were relying on it.

that is eastern launching the route but under the flybe brand

eaatern take all the responsibility for the route but pay the franchise charge to flybe for use of the brand, booking engine etc

cs
Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:07 am

that is eastern launching the route but under the flybe brand

eaatern take all the responsibility for the route but pay the franchise charge to flybe for use of the brand, booking engine etc
Ah, thanks for the explanation. For some reason I’d thought of it as a commissioned service, ie at FlyBe’s behest.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:24 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis

Ironically, the only airline not 'up for sale' is the one that everyone thinks is - Norwegian, where the CEO has an effectively controlling shareholding.
There's a big difference between being quoted on the stock market and the board actively suggesting it is looking for a buyer. They are signalling they are in trouble and need a significant injection of capital, and you would imagine recovery funds will be having a sniff. There's also a difference between just buying shares and taking a company over:

"When a person or group acquires interests in shares carrying 30% or more of the voting rights of a company, they must make a cash offer to all other shareholders at the highest price paid in the 12 months before the offer was announced (30% of the voting rights of a company is treated by the Code as the level at which effective control is obtained)."
The fact the board would support a takeover or not is important in persuading shareholders to take the offer, which is important to a buyer in calculating the probabilities of success.

Meanwhile I'm looking to spend my flybe free flight voucher pronto.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by squawk

Ah, thanks for the explanation. For some reason I’d thought of it as a commissioned service, ie at FlyBe’s behest.

nope. Much the same as the sun-air operated BA branded flights

the route only operates if sun-air want it too not BA.

cs
squawk likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:23 am

Of course you know in the real world that isn't how the markets operate and there is a complete difference between agreeing "not to cause a fuss" and the board finding a buyer which they recommend to shareholders.

Also very few companies change hands with someone hoovering up shares on the exchange. This is because the biggest shareholders are institutional (I believe over 50% of Flybe is owned by 6/7 funds) who are more likely to await the possible premium in an acquisition.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:25 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold

I bet the shareholders are wishing they'd said yes to Stobart now.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:14 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Its a really odd airline Flybe

Knew it from its routes as Jersey European

Its always functioned like a full service airline price wise whilst trying low cost models of unbundling and high credit card usage charged

It experiments with unlikely routes like Manston Edinburgh

It tried using jets and entering the med holiday market and still flys props to some of these destinations

It tried giving out avios but then really didnt

But its mostimportant function is a regional flyer within the UK

Its a shame BA wouldnt just re aquire the UK domestic market (I know its been thete before) and generate a good feeder service. A bit like American Eagle and American Airlines etc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.