Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WW "airlines to go bust"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: EasyJet Flight Club
Im fairly certain, that the flyBE slots are part of the BA pool, but if an airline uses them for three continous years, they then fall into the ownership of the airline/s who use them.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Easyjet Flight Club
Privatair the ones with the excellent 737 at LGW over the summer have entered administration
Old Oct 20, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
Originally Posted by mmogdan
Privatair the ones with the excellent 737 at LGW over the summer have entered administration
Do you have a source for this? Very close friends with one of the pilots that flew both the partnership with LH and the recent BA flights so this hits home.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
I think you might be confusing them with Primera Air?
Sealink likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 1:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Easyjet Flight Club
Originally Posted by dylanks

I think you might be confusing them with Primera Air?
no - for sure I am not. See posts 3 and 4 here: https://www.pprune.org/terms-endearm...privatair.html
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:14 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Meanwhile, the other Irishman's opinions

https://www.theguardian.com/business...ichael-o-leary

Micheal O'Leary talking about how other airlines have it worse than his:

The Ryanair chief executive, Michael O’Leary, said he expected more airlines to go bust as the budget carrier posted a 7% drop in profits because of rising fuel prices and strikes hitting costs and bookings.
O’Leary predicted a grim winter for the aviation industry, with oil prices, interest rates and the US dollar rising and fares falling.
He said Ryanair was better hedged than most rivals against the rise in oil prices, adding: “It is inevitable that more of the weaker, unhedged, European airlines will fold this winter.”
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:34 am
Original Poster

A quote from our very own Raffles at HfP today...

“The unfortunate truth is that you should be wary about booking with ‘secondary’ carriers at the moment. Whilst you money is protected as long as you pay with a credit card, you will still be out of pocket since the cost of buying replacement tickets on another carrier at short notice is unlikely to be cheap. Even established carriers such as Flybe are looking very weak, and Norwegian could still go over the edge.”
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)

no - for sure I am not. See posts 3 and 4 here: https://www.pprune.org/terms-endearm...privatair.html
Weird, as Lufthansa had just announced the return of the PrivatAir route to Pune India after a few months of flying it on shorthair aircraft. Thanks for the link.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by dylanks

Weird, as Lufthansa had just announced the return of the PrivatAir route to Pune India after a few months of flying it on shorthair aircraft. Thanks for the link.
I saw that as well. I got hits from a Swiss/German business site saying the airline was bust and then a later dated press release from Lufty re the India route. Surely Fritz hasn’t been sleeping on the job?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:03 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by krispy84
I saw that as well. I got hits from a Swiss/German business site saying the airline was bust and then a later dated press release from Lufty re the India route. Surely Fritz hasn’t been sleeping on the job?
I can only find one site that says they are in liquidation. With another few site quoting that. I'd be inclined to trust LH for now.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Actually, Privatair is the latest in a fairly short list of Swiss airlines to disappear, starting with Darwin Airline and running through SkyWork in Berne to Privatair which is based in Geneva. There's nothing left in Swiss aviation now, as SWISS belongs to Lufthansa and Helvetic Airways and Edelweiss Air belong to SWISS, which in turn belongs to Lufthansa. A real shame, but the country is too small to support loads of airlines.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
A quote from our very own Raffles at HfP today...

“The unfortunate truth is that you should be wary about booking with ‘secondary’ carriers at the moment. Whilst you money is protected as long as you pay with a credit card, you will still be out of pocket since the cost of buying replacement tickets on another carrier at short notice is unlikely to be cheap. Even established carriers such as Flybe are looking very weak, and Norwegian could still go over the edge.”
I'm not sure its actually accurate though given S75 doesn't just entitle you to a refund, it entitles you to consequential loss. I.e. it seems that if the airline goes bust and you have to buy a short notice ticket, your credit card company has to reimburse you for it too.

I've seen other people mention this and just dismissed it as it seemed unlikely, but the more I research it the more it seems like thats the case.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Skift has some background: https://skift.com/2018/11/05/iceland...rival-wow-air/

This looks like a marriage of convenience for the carriers. Both are struggling, as is the wider Icelandic tourism industry. We’ll have to wait and see whether one is better than two.
The deal is still subject to Icelandair shareholder approval and due diligence. It must also get sign off from Icelandic competition regulators.
Consolidation within the Icelandic aviation sector comes during a difficult time for the wider tourism industry.
Travelers had flocked to the country in the wake of the 2008 financial crisis but the industry is cooling.
Icelandair and Wow Air have also had their own problems. Icelandair’s CEO Björgólfur Jóhannsson resigned in August after the carrier slashed its profit outlook and it is still looking for a permanent successor.
Wow Air, meanwhile, was reportedly on target to make a financial loss in its current financial year.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by NickB
AIUI, they have to use them themselves or they revert to BA.
The flybe slots are the old Virgin “Little red” slots are they not?

If flybe go bust, could another carrier pick these back up to launch UK domestic routes?

Wouldn’t it be funny if Norwegian pitched up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.