WW "airlines to go bust"

Old Mar 6, 2020, 11:52 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Finnair might also face some trouble. Operationally it's doing OK, but its major strategy these days is "the short route to Asia" - hence why Helsinki is filled with slightly dazed-looking Asian tourists fresh off the overnights from Asia to enjoy their layover in Lapland [1]. I'm sure that Asia-to-Europe business is not doing very well at the moment and if that keeps up, Finnair's strategy will be under stress.

[1] Yes I know Helsinki is not in Lapland, but that's not how the advertising shades it.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by flatlander
Finnair might also face some trouble. Operationally it's doing OK, but its major strategy these days is "the short route to Asia" - hence why Helsinki is filled with slightly dazed-looking Asian tourists fresh off the overnights from Asia to enjoy their layover in Lapland [1]. I'm sure that Asia-to-Europe business is not doing very well at the moment and if that keeps up, Finnair's strategy will be under stress.
Thankfully they do have *some* scope to diversify, e.g. ramping up India-US flows and Russia-westbound, but time will tell if it’s enough.

That said, they could always put a spare A330/A350 on HELAGP and spread the word here, I’m sure there’ll be a few takers to keep them busy.
alex67500 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by flatlander

[1] Yes I know Helsinki is not in Lapland, but that's not how the advertising shades it.
They will be ok i think, they are majority owned by the government and they have a very new and efficient long haul fleet. That business model is pretty sound too even if there is a temporary blip.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 5:45 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Tim_T
Norwegian down 28% today to 1.12 EUR
I'd be very surprised if Norweigan survive this.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 6:16 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by 1010101
They will be ok i think, they are majority owned by the government and they have a very new and efficient long haul fleet. That business model is pretty sound too even if there is a temporary blip.
I believe they are part of the revenue sharing arrangements on the North Atlantic.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 6:24 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
I believe they are part of the revenue sharing arrangements on the North Atlantic.
I thought it was just BA/IB/AA.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
No it also includes AY and EI.
navylad and wilsnunn like this.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 6:27 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by navylad
I thought it was just BA/IB/AA.
You may well be right - a BA staff member said it to me today, but that does not mean it is correct!
navylad likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 6:30 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Can I help you
No it also includes AY and EI.
Many thanks, did they join subsequently, I just remember the initial press release?

Having a quick look at the AY website, it does indeed talk about Atlantic Joint Business joint ventures which I assume is the profit sharing agreement? Some other interesting points on there too...https://investors.finnair.com/en/fin...business-model
Old Mar 7, 2020, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
AY joined later and EI later still.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
AY joined later and EI later still.
EI are not part of the Atlantic joint business
Old Mar 7, 2020, 8:18 am

Programs: BA OWS, A3*G
Originally Posted by jonas123
EI are not part of the Atlantic joint business
Did their application to join it get rejected, or just hasn't been processed yet? It's been over a year, no?

Last edited by LiHS; Mar 7, 2020 at 8:19 am Reason: spelling
Old Mar 7, 2020, 8:23 am

i think it is still sitting on someone's desk at the DoT...
LiHS likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 9:34 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

American Airlines' financials are looking increasingly precarious, with eye-watering levels of negative debt to equity ratio.

Dec 2015: +3.65%
Dec 2016: +6.43%
Dec 2017: -32.14%
Dec 2018: -201.36%
Dec 2019: -283.42%

As with other US based carriers it is protected from outright collapse but I wouldn't be surprised if AA finds itself back in Chapter 11 in the near future
HIDDY likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by LiHS
Did their application to join it get rejected, or just hasn't been processed yet? It's been over a year, no?
The DoT will only ‘investigate’ one ATI application at a time, so it has been neither accepted nor rejected yet and is simply sitting in a queue.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.