Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by Behindthecurtain
Yep.. The one owned by IAG that is based in Barcelona
"They who must not be named"?
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
If AF/KLM can't reach an agreement the Italian government will likely do what already did to save Monte dei Paschi di Siena: they loan public money to the company and if they don't get them back by the settled time they become the largest shareholders.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by themapelligroup
If AF/KLM can't reach an agreement the Italian government will likely do what already did to save Monte dei Paschi di Siena: they loan public money to the company and if they don't get them back by the settled time they become the largest shareholders.
The Aerolineas Argentinas way.....prop them up using millions of dollars of tax payers money then when that doesn't work just bully the competition (Lan) out of the way.
Increible!!
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Originally Posted by HIDDY
The Aerolineas Argentinas way.....prop them up using millions of dollars of tax payers money then when that doesn't work just bully the competition (Lan) out of the way.
Increible!!
What's incredible is that the Italian government wasted 3 billion euros of public money just 4 years ago to preserve the "Italianess" of the company and not sell it completely to AF/KLM.
The situation is pretty clear unfortunately: if tomorrow's board doesn't increase the share by 500 million euros Alitalia will cease operation.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 1:54 am

Programs: A3 Gold. BA Silver. Hilton Gold. IC Ambassador.
Looks like the people at the top are paying attention to Willie's whinges: :P

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24512781

(Yes, I know these are likely whinges that have come from other, more compelling, channels that have driven the UK govt. to act.)
Old Oct 15, 2013, 3:01 am
Original Poster

IAG have their say on the Alitalia bailout....

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/1...99D0JX20131014
Old Nov 1, 2013, 3:55 am
Original Poster

More bad news for Alitalia.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/air...103204442.html
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Also looks like BMIr are in the s**t which is really sad.

Base and route closures, its a shame that the new owners of BMIr didn't negotiate a deal with IAG when then bought the airline, to operate some routes for BA ex LCY instead of Eastern.

cs
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by cornishsimon

Base and route closures, its a shame that the new owners of BMIr didn't negotiate a deal with IAG when then bought the airline, to operate some routes for BA ex LCY instead of Eastern.

cs

Here you go:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...iness-24766639
Five routes and three bases to go with staff having the option to relocate, but even still, is the EMB135/145 a model for an airline which can survive without codeshare/alliance flying to support it and funnel customers onto the aircraft ?

cs
Old Nov 1, 2013, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by cornishsimon

cs
BM looked like they were doing well, then I look away for a bit and this happens

I thought bmi regional should have become either a BA franchise or restored their Star Alliance code shares.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by layz
BM looked like they were doing well, then I look away for a bit and this happens

I thought bmi regional should have become either a BA franchise or restored their Star Alliance code shares.

im in total agreement with you layz

I just cant see them surviving without one or another of those options being put into place ASAP, as a stand alone operator I don't think that the business model works.

cs
Old Nov 1, 2013, 10:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
The EMB135/145 doesn't really have brilliant economics, so BMIr kind of depend on high-yielding fares. If the yields on a particular route are a bit meh, the relatively high CASM bites.

It's no surprise that BMIr are consolidating on the "oil routes" out of ABZ with their current fleet, as these are likely to be higher-yielding fares purchased or changed at short notice.

I did wonder if they would be a player for the PSO route to NQY, but that would likely have to be flown as "W" from one of the other BMIr bases for crewing, plus costs of having to establish a new ground operation at Gatters. Makes it relatively unattractive. NQY is probably also a price sensitive market, so less willing to pay high-yielding fares?

Mike
Old Nov 1, 2013, 12:34 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

The Centre of Aviation published an interesting analysis on BMI-R back in September. It's well worth a read...

http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...ed-soon-128223
Old Nov 25, 2013, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Perhaps not a well known name, but it could be a long, hard winter for many airlines.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...ses-operations
Old Nov 25, 2013, 10:41 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Although the news is a week or so old

http://www.theguardian.com/business/...ls-exeter-jobs

It seems Flybe is really struggling at the moment... first they concede all their LGW slots & routes to easyjet and now they are cutting the rest of their network/bases.

Interesting to also see Rosedale Aviation selling their 48% stake in the company this month too - clever to sell now before it goes bust?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.