What to do before LCYCW?

Old Sep 24, 13, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
What to do before LCYCW?

Never done the LCY CW to JFK before, have a wait time from about 9am to the 1250pm flight to JFK. What is there to do during the wait? No lounge, am I allowed to use the Arrivals lounge even though I have not arrived yet?

Does anyone have any suggestions for nice spots to get some work done at LCY Airport? Or should I take a taxi or the light rail somewhere?
Old Sep 24, 13, 4:27 pm

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
Somewhere else.
Definitely somewhere else.
Old Sep 24, 13, 4:35 pm

Programs: BA Silver
You could take the DLR to Canning Town and then one stop on the tube to North Greenwich and climb the o2? Or check out the Emirates Aviation Experience there? Or "fly" the Emirates Air Line?

Agree you should so anything but stay in the airport!
Old Sep 24, 13, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IC RA, Kimpton Inner Circle, Amex Plat
Go to Canary Wharf for a choice of breakfast options and multiple Regus locations to Orkney from.
Old Sep 24, 13, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
There's no arrivals lounge. There's an arrivals facility provided at a hotel in Canary Wharf where BA will arrange transfer to when you arrive, so you can't use it for departing.

There is a sorta departure lounge, they've added tables with drinks and snacks at the departure gate. The gate opens early so people can use it as a lounge, but I'm not sure how early.

You can easily go to Canary Wharf, the DLR runs frequently.

If I had time to spare at LCY in the morning I'd get breakfast. When I used to use LCY almost weekly 2005-2007 the Trattoria restaurant used to do a nice breakfast (if I arrived with time to spare), but that's no more. I looked at the LCY website and the breakfast options are not as good anymore. My more recent visits to LCY have been quick so I've not tried the catering.

There's free wifi throughout the terminal so you could get some work done.

I'd probably just wait in the airport, ask what time the gate lounge opens. Get some breakfast, find somewhere to sit down and get some work done (or browse FT).
Old Sep 24, 13, 4:44 pm

19 mins to Tesco Surrey Quays if you fancy getting a handful of 3Vs....
Old Sep 24, 13, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Jetstreamer View Post
You could take the DLR to Canning Town and then one stop on the tube to North Greenwich and climb the o2? Or check out the Emirates Aviation Experience there? Or "fly" the Emirates Air Line?

Agree you should so anything but stay in the airport!
I forgot about the cable car, that's something that could easily be done, you can do a round trip on it or go one way and you can get the DLR from the other end back to LCY (you'll need to change trains).

The reason I would wait at the airport is 3 hours isn't a lot of time, when you add in travel, etc. I could easily kill 3 hours with a laptop and a wifi connection.
Old Sep 24, 13, 4:51 pm

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
its one of those situations where you have too long at the airport but not a lot of time to do much
I would suggest jump on the DLR {don't go too far } canning town,canary wharf, or north Greenwich
have a bit breakfast or a relaxing coffee its got to be better than spending 3.5 hours in the airport
Old Sep 24, 13, 6:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold
breakfast somewhere in canary wharf followed by a good coffee at Taylor street baristas?
Old Sep 25, 13, 1:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Blue, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Steve Oh View Post
19 mins to Tesco Surrey Quays if you fancy getting a handful of 3Vs....
Chance would be a fine thing!! I had a lot more luck in Belfast last weekend than I've had in recent months in SE16!

To the OP, if you didn't need to work then I would get the cable car, and also pay 3 for the Emirates Aviation Experience which is at one of the two cable car "terminals".
Old Sep 25, 13, 1:30 am

Definitely don't stay at the airport for that length of time. You'll be going crazy after half an hour, and options for food, for example, aren't that great.

It's really easy to get to the places others have mentioned - Canary Wharf, Greenwich - and much more pleasant for a couple of hours. Also, it only takes about 20-25 minutes to get the DLR to Bank, if you wanted to see the square mile. Another option to play with..
Old Sep 25, 13, 1:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
If coming from Central London I normally have breakfast at Roast in Borough Market.

http://www.roast-restaurant.com/

and have the "Full Borough" or maybe smoked trout and scrambled eggs, or Eggs Benny. All washed down with Buck's Fizz before a 30 minute waddle over to LCY on the Jubillee Line and DLR.

The Full Borough
Smoked streaky bacon, Roast recipe sausages, fried bread, Ramsay of Carluke black pudding, grilled tomatoes, field mushrooms, bubble n squeak and your choice of egg: poached, fried or scrambled 15.00

http://www.roast-restaurant.com/file...kfast-menu.pdf
Old Sep 25, 13, 1:47 am

I'm assuming you're coming down from GLA, and the 9am time is when you land at LCY?
This is nearby, free, and has a cafe. It overlooks the dock and the dangleway, so should be good for whiling away an hour.
http://www.thecrystal.org/visit-us.html
Old Sep 26, 13, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Thanks for the tips everyone. Yes, indeed coming down from Glasgow. Lesson learned, land at LHR before a LCYCW trip. I will likely take the DRL to Canary Wharf as I have not been there before in my many trips to London. I will also check out the Emirates webpage linked above and maybe take that option if I am full up from the BA breakfast on the way down.

Seems like LCY needs a nice restaurant like Plane Food. I almost didn't mind not have lounge access when I was building status.
Old Sep 26, 13, 12:28 pm

A nice restaurant like Plane Food?? With their 2/5 'Very Poor' hygiene rating?

No thanks.

Last edited by Steve Oh; Sep 26, 13 at 12:36 pm

Search this Thread