Wiki Posts
Search

BA & Malaysian to KL & Penang

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2013, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
BA & Malaysian to KL & Penang

Flying with BA and Malaysian from the UK to Penang in January. Normally we visit Thailand each winter where it is better to purchase Bhats locally rather than in the UK. Does anyone know if this also applies if we were to purchase Ringgits in KL or Penang rather than the UK?
Old Sep 23, 2013, 2:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by charlesrhona
Flying with BA and Malaysian from the UK to Penang in January. Normally we visit Thailand each winter where it is better to purchase Bhats locally rather than in the UK. Does anyone know if this also applies if we were to purchase Ringgits in KL or Penang rather than the UK?
It's not such a factor there. I either get a load delivered to my local Post Office, which seems to have good rates particularly in combination with the Post Office's credit card; alternatively get them out of the ATM in Malaysia, using the Nationwide debit card (though there are some cheaper alternatives such as Halifax's Clarity card). There are far more ATMs in Malaysia than Thailand, and the banking system is quite good there. So it's more about personal convenience, I would say. As ever, some low value Ringgits are useful, this is the land of the 20pence note. It's OK to use plastic in all but the cheapest restaurant, taxis and hawker stalls need cash.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 2:32 am

Programs: BA Silver, Velocity Gold
Originally Posted by charlesrhona
Definitely - True for the whole region. ATMs are pretty constent value worldwide but the money changers are very competitive, especially at the Airport contrary to convention here.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 12:15 pm

Programs: QF, SQ
We're off to KL and Penang in November and usually just go to a money changer - found in most reputable shopping malls.. And most give pretty good rates without the ATM fee that many UK banks charge. We used to use Citibank all over Malaysia which used to be fee-free for Citibank account holders but Citi now charges for most types of current accounts.

There are also ATMs after immigration enroute to Baggage reclaim at KL airport so will also withdraw some local currency if we need to.

Enjoy!
Old Sep 23, 2013, 1:56 pm

Definitely a better exchange rate in Kl than here int he UK. I got 4.80 MYR at KL Sentral Station back in February at a money changer where I expected to be ripped off being a tourist.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
I spent a spell in KL, some colleagues swore by the money changers in some of the older malls for better rates. But I wasn't convinced it made enough of a difference and just used the ATMs.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 4:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
A few points to note

1.Overheads are far cheaper in Malaysia. Hence the spreads are smaller.

2. Also unlike the UK, there are loads of small independent money changes in KL and Singapore. Competition is fierce compared with the few large bureau de change in London despite all the tourists in London.

3. Another point to note is that there are are lot of Malaysia students studying in the UK leading to high local demand for sterling giving rise to a good Sterling / Malaysian Ringgit exchange rate so there is a good market for currency exchange in Malaysia. The demand for Malaysian Ringgit in the UK is limited. I use have seen a whole year's worth of school fees paid in physical currency notes although I am not sure if that is allowed any longer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.