Cancellation fee booking hotel with Avios?

Old Sep 22, 13, 1:09 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MCO
Posts: 1,311
Cancellation fee booking hotel with Avios?

If I book a hotel using Avios points and later cancel, is there a fee to redeposit the points into my account? If so, how much?

Thinking of pulling the trigger on some awaard flights--where there would be a large cancellation/redeposit fee--but am not sure about lodging. It would be nice to hold some hotel nights with Avios while I do more research; unless there's a huge fee / penalty for doing so if I need to cancel.
moretimeoffguy is offline  
Old Sep 23, 13, 11:09 am
  #2  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MCO
Posts: 1,311
Saw somewhere in the online T&Cs that it would be a fee of 25 British pounds to cancel a hotel reservation--plus any penalty levied the by the hotel. That gets me a little further.

Anyone with real-world experience cancelling hotel reservations booked with Avios want to share any info? e.g. what's typically the case.
moretimeoffguy is offline  
Old Sep 25, 13, 5:30 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MCO
Posts: 1,311
Anyone booked a hotel with Avios points and had to cancel?

Anyone booked a hotel with Avios points and had to cancel?
moretimeoffguy is offline  
Old Sep 25, 13, 3:39 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: GLA
Programs: Silver, JJC (circa 1980)
Posts: 313
I had booked to spend New Year 2012/13 at the Loews Coronado Resort in San Diego using Avios.

We changed to go visit my brother in the Californian mountains instead. Cancellation fee was just the 25.
zafiragirl is offline  
Old Sep 25, 13, 5:26 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MCO
Posts: 1,311
Originally Posted by zafiragirl View Post
I had booked to spend New Year 2012/13 at the Loews Coronado Resort in San Diego using Avios.

We changed to go visit my brother in the Californian mountains instead. Cancellation fee was just the 25.
Thanks zafiragirl. Not too terribly bad.
moretimeoffguy is offline  
Old Sep 25, 13, 7:30 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: MAN
Programs: F
Posts: 2,895
Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy View Post
Anyone booked a hotel with Avios points and had to cancel?
Yes, 25 fee. Only problem was that they forgot to tell the hotel ....
redshift27 is offline  
Old Oct 7, 13, 2:28 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: MAD
Programs: IB+, BAEC
Posts: 2,364
Do they charge the fee even if there was no booking fee?
LupineChemist is offline  
Old Oct 8, 13, 12:50 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: London
Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Posts: 25,603
Remember that all Avios does when it books you a hotel is that Avios books the hotel for cash and then doesn't charge you any money, deducting your points balance instead.

You are therefore tied to the underlying cancellation policy of the room and hotel you book. Some hotels don't have 'advance purchase, non-refundable' rates and some do. It is totally dependant on the property you book.

The 25 is an Avios charge to cover their time in booking and then cancelling the hotel.
Raffles is offline  
Old Oct 8, 13, 3:07 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London
Programs: BAEC, Marriott, Fans of MO
Posts: 1,178
I cancelled and did not have to pay a cancellation fee. I originally booked only with Avios I did not pay any cash........maybe if you pay part cash then they deduct 25!?
Grande Annee is offline  
Old Oct 13, 13, 6:49 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MCO
Posts: 1,311
Thanks Raffles.

Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
Remember that all Avios does when it books you a hotel is that Avios books the hotel for cash and then doesn't charge you any money, deducting your points balance instead.

You are therefore tied to the underlying cancellation policy of the room and hotel you book. Some hotels don't have 'advance purchase, non-refundable' rates and some do. It is totally dependant on the property you book.

The 25 is an Avios charge to cover their time in booking and then cancelling the hotel.
moretimeoffguy is offline  
Old Apr 5, 16, 7:53 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Posts: 40
walking away from booking (no other charges?)

I booked the Paddington Hilton with Avios and unfortunately will not be traveling on the trip. The total was 42,850 for one night. I called and was told there was a 35 pound cancellation fee. I asked what would happen if I just did not show up. The agent on the Gold line told me there would be no additional charges but I was concerned they (The Hilton) might come after me for the night's charge?

I would rather walk away from the Avios then pay the 35 pounds (I have 700,000 Avios now and can't use them) But I would pay the 35 pounds to avoid a night's charge from the hotel.

Any advice if the hotel could come back for a charge with a no-show?
artcrt is offline  
Old Apr 5, 16, 7:58 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: EDI, HKG
Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Posts: 1,057
Originally Posted by artcrt View Post
I booked the Paddington Hilton with Avios and unfortunately will not be traveling on the trip. The total was 42,850 for one night. I called and was told there was a 35 pound cancellation fee. I asked what would happen if I just did not show up. The agent on the Gold line told me there would be no additional charges but I was concerned they (The Hilton) might come after me for the night's charge?

I would rather walk away from the Avios then pay the 35 pounds (I have 700,000 Avios now and can't use them) But I would pay the 35 pounds to avoid a night's charge from the hotel.

Any advice if the hotel could come back for a charge with a no-show?
It shouldn't cost you anything if you do not show up.

Anyways I would pay the 35 fee to get the avios back. That amount of Avios is enough for you and 4 others to do a trip to europe from London.
cysyuen is offline  
Old Apr 5, 16, 8:30 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Posts: 40
Thanks for the reply. As I am based in the US and 99% of my travel is business based and paid for, the Avios are for the once in a blue moon trip for personal use. Mrs ARTCRT hates to fly so its a rare occasion. Mostly used for AA redemptions here in the States.
artcrt is offline  
Old Apr 5, 16, 8:40 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: EDI, HKG
Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Posts: 1,057
Originally Posted by artcrt View Post
Thanks for the reply. As I am based in the US and 99% of my travel is business based and paid for, the Avios are for the once in a blue moon trip for personal use. Mrs ARTCRT hates to fly so its a rare occasion. Mostly used for AA redemptions here in the States.
Haha I see.

Remember you can use Avios in lots of ways: car rental, hotels and experiences too!
cysyuen is offline  
Old Apr 5, 16, 9:34 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 36,048
Originally Posted by cysyuen View Post
Anyways I would pay the 35 fee to get the avios back.
Indeed - if it wasn't against the rules, I'd happily pay the 35 fee for you if you were to give me the 43,000 Avios.
Globaliser is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread