Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BaxterStorey and T5 lounges: "Improvement necessary" food hygiene rating

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 23, 2013, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 710 77345
The London Borough of Hillingdon has inspected the food preparation areas of the Concorde Room and Galleries First Lounge at Heathrow Terminal 5 (run by BaxterStorey on behalf of British Airways) and has indicated under the Food Hygiene Rating Scheme that Food Hygiene and Safety is POOR:

This is an appalling score, putting the lounge in the bottom 10% of all food establishments in England (including burger vans and kebab shops!).

The good news is that other lounges at Heathrow have scored 5 out of 5, including British Airways' Terminal 3 lounge and an unnamed T5 Galleries (albeit both assessed prior to handover to BaxterStorey), Aer Lingus, Cathay Pacific, American Airlines, Virgin Atlantic and many others.

Other establishments in Terminal 5 have received the following scores:
Amigos (North & South) - 5 out of 5 (21 February 2013)
Caffe Nero - 2 out of 5 (18 May 2012)
Carluccio's - 5 out of 5 (21 November 2011)
Caviar House - 5 out of 5 (31 May 2013)
Crown Rivers Wetherspoon Pub - 5 out of 5 (21 May 2010)
Five Tuns Pub - 5 out of 5 (18 May 2012)
Giraffe - 5 out of 5 (07 February 2013)
Gordon Ramsay Plane Food - 2 out of 5 (31 May 2013)
itsu - 4 out of 5 (16 November 2011)
Marks and Spencer - 5 out of 5 (08 May 2010)
Pret a Manger - 4 out of 5 (24 January 2013)
V Bar - 5 out of 5 (07 February 2013)

Up to date discussion on this topic is contained in this thread
Print Wikipost

BaxterStorey and T5 lounges: "Improvement necessary" food hygiene rating

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2013, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Bit of hysteria going on here I would say...there has been no mass outbreak of food poisoning and nobody has died.

For all you know the rating might have nothing at all to do with the food but rather a combination of other factors. Yes 2 isn't good and it should be 5 and I expect BA management will have kicked a few BS backsides over this as they are mainly to blame.
Not sure I agree. The scores on the doors were introduced to give the public a sense of security of where they eat and how they compare with other establishments. Yes, nobody has died but 2 is not that far from being compulsory closed.

Would anyone here normally eat in a restaurant/cafe with a score of 2?
Old Sep 21, 2013, 3:56 pm

Programs: BA soon to be Silver
Bit of hysteria going on here I would say...there has been no mass outbreak of food poisoning and nobody has died.

For all you know the rating might have nothing at all to do with the food but rather a combination of other factors. Yes 2 isn't good and it should be 5 and I expect BA management will have kicked a few BS backsides over this as they are mainly to blame.
Agree entirely. And I also have reservations that this will almost undoubtedly end up in the press now. However, sometimes a wake up call is needed for a company to jump into action.

To be honest, much is about expectation, and I have always been fairly happy with my bit of bacon and glass of pink Bolly in the GF lounge - never been in the CCR. The food is a bit more basic than I would perhaps expect from the lounge if I was entering it for the first time, but I don't find it objectionable, and I certainly don't expect Michelin star quality.

However, in a terminal which cost so much, with our national carrier, and their highest level of service, I don't think failing on basic food safety is acceptable. BaxterStorey CAN provide level 5 service - witness other contracts they have - and should do the same for BA. It is a BA failing if they are not getting this from their contractor.....either they are not managing the contractor correctly, or they are forcing them to cut corners. Either way, the responsibility for quality service provision to their customers falls to BA.

The measure of a company is not the problems they have but how they deal with them. If BA deal with this promptly and positively, it will cement my loyalty to them and I suspect the same is true for most on this board.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Winemaker
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
I most strongly disagree.
On what basis?
Media coverage is likely to cause damage, and someone will need to pay the price of recovery at the end. This could come with a boomerang effect.

As others have already pointed out, there are other channels that are better suited.

I would not assume that this issue is being ignored by BA and nothing is going on at the time being.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 4:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Red, IHG Platinum
My long anticipated bacon roll in T5GC at 7am is going to taste that little bit worse now.
This needs a statement of intent to improve at the very least.
Ed
Old Sep 21, 2013, 4:15 pm

I'd like to think that this gives BA a contractual reason to sack them.

It seems to me that BA have been sold a dud. Probably a typical case of BaxterStorey promising more than they can profitably deliver. As a few people have mentioned, I would think twice about even eating in a 3-star rated place, so this is very off-putting.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 4:15 pm

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG

I don't think it's hysterical at all. There's no excuse for a score being so low in the first place. Imagine what one of the major hotel / restaurant chains would do if a franchisee got a score like this.

As for media interest I suspect the Gordon Ramsay score has much more legs to t because of his profile and previous difficulties elsewhere in his restaurant empire.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 4:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AF Gold
Media coverage is likely to cause damage, and someone will need to pay the price of recovery at the end. This could come with a boomerang effect.

As others have already pointed out, there are other channels that are better suited.

I would not assume that this issue is being ignored by BA and nothing is going on at the time being.
I would love to think that you are right, but on the basis of other issues (not least the LHR lounge access fiasco, which remains unresolved after several years of complaints and countless broken promises) I can understand why others are somewhat sceptical.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Virgin Flying Club, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred, National Emerald, Dr. Oetker Speciale

On the contrary, look how eloquently the simple word 'Enhancement' speaks on the BA board, this the end result of an internal bonus chasing, profit at any cost culture.

Enhancement had to meet it's tipping point eventually, this may be the first glimpse but brushing it under the carpet is the mother of all enhancement.

BA & BS have got caught, fair and square, now they need to be seen to sort it out with more than just PR spin, there are kebab shops in provincial towns getting better scores than this.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 4:21 pm

"Two flies, to serve"
Old Sep 21, 2013, 4:23 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Virgin Flying Club, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred, National Emerald, Dr. Oetker Speciale
'The World's Favourite Hairline'
Old Sep 21, 2013, 4:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
Originally Posted by hammythehammer
"Two flies, to serve"
Not funny!

Okay, I laughed
Old Sep 21, 2013, 4:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by tony flynn

BA & BS have got caught, fair and square, now they need to be seen to sort it out with more than just PR spin, there are kebab shops in provincial towns getting better scores than this.
My local one gets a 5 for starters. One local eaterie to my work, which has been shot to pieces in the local press, gets a 2, and that was closed due to half a ton of rotten meat in the cellar....
Old Sep 21, 2013, 4:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by hammythehammer
"Two flies, to serve"
Old Sep 21, 2013, 4:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MrHeckles
BaxterStorey CAN provide level 5 service - witness other contracts they have - and should do the same for BA.
Baxter Storey overall do seem to have excellent ratings which makes one assume it has more to do with the changeover in contracts rather than anything food orientated hygiene wise. No excuses of course but I'd be prepared to give them the benefit of doubt. I'd be more worried if they got a 2 next July.

As for Plane Food.....that's a real shocker.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 4:32 pm

The PR team are preparing a statement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.