Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BaxterStorey and T5 lounges: "Improvement necessary" food hygiene rating

Old Sep 23, 2013, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 710 77345
The London Borough of Hillingdon has inspected the food preparation areas of the Concorde Room and Galleries First Lounge at Heathrow Terminal 5 (run by BaxterStorey on behalf of British Airways) and has indicated under the Food Hygiene Rating Scheme that Food Hygiene and Safety is POOR:

This is an appalling score, putting the lounge in the bottom 10% of all food establishments in England (including burger vans and kebab shops!).

The good news is that other lounges at Heathrow have scored 5 out of 5, including British Airways' Terminal 3 lounge and an unnamed T5 Galleries (albeit both assessed prior to handover to BaxterStorey), Aer Lingus, Cathay Pacific, American Airlines, Virgin Atlantic and many others.

Other establishments in Terminal 5 have received the following scores:
Amigos (North & South) - 5 out of 5 (21 February 2013)
Caffe Nero - 2 out of 5 (18 May 2012)
Carluccio's - 5 out of 5 (21 November 2011)
Caviar House - 5 out of 5 (31 May 2013)
Crown Rivers Wetherspoon Pub - 5 out of 5 (21 May 2010)
Five Tuns Pub - 5 out of 5 (18 May 2012)
Giraffe - 5 out of 5 (07 February 2013)
Gordon Ramsay Plane Food - 2 out of 5 (31 May 2013)
itsu - 4 out of 5 (16 November 2011)
Marks and Spencer - 5 out of 5 (08 May 2010)
Pret a Manger - 4 out of 5 (24 January 2013)
V Bar - 5 out of 5 (07 February 2013)

Up to date discussion on this topic is contained in this thread
Print Wikipost

BaxterStorey and T5 lounges: "Improvement necessary" food hygiene rating

Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:26 am

And here is the food inspection report:
www.joe.org.uk/ba.pdf
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:30 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by fife
And here is the food inspection report:
www.joe.org.uk/ba.pdf
So they had (and presumably would have used) eggs past their use-by date, plus many other issues. It doesn't get any better for BA.

And this letter proves the "the report was published on 3rd Sep, we're working on it " line from BA is nothing but rhetoric. They've know about the issues since 29th July.

Last edited by Paralytic; Sep 26, 2013 at 7:40 am
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:34 am

Programs: BD*G -> BA Gold + A3*G (now dropped to BA Silver)
Originally Posted by Paralytic
So they had (and presumably would have used) eggs past their use-by date. It doesn't get any better for BA.

And this letter proves the "the report was published on 3rd Sep" is nothing but rhetoric. They've know about the issues since 29th July.
I'm sure those eggs getting old were caused by settling in issues or the kitchen not yet being refurbished.

EDIT: just a thought. Perhaps BA didn't know about it until 3rd September. The report was addressed to BaxterStorey. Perhaps they hoped no one would notice.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:35 am

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
Oh Dear

Whatever you do, don't use the ICE. I've seen what a dirty Ice machine looks like!!!!

Out of date EGGS!

On reading that I think they were lucky not to get a 1!
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
but no mention of "urine soaked biscuits" - do we now get another thread on the poor quality of Hillingdon Council's food inspectors ....
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:37 am

"At the time of inspection, boiled eggs standing in pooled liquid and Quince were found which were past their use-by date".

Yum yum!
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:41 am

Programs: BAEC
Yikes. I wish I hadn't read that report.

Most of the serious stuff was to do with p!ss poor food handling and nothing to do with the kitchen structure/facilities at all. And nor could the issues be blamed on Compass directly or the handover.

Shows that the BS response was mainly bs...
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by browserden
EDIT: just a thought. Perhaps BA didn't know about it until 3rd September. The report was addressed to BaxterStorey. Perhaps they hoped no one would notice.
A thought, yes, but it was addressed to Baxter Storey at the BA Lounge. Do you really think they'd keep this from BA for over a month?
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:46 am

From the report:

"Also enclosed are a sticker and a certificate showing your rating. You can tell your customers how good your hygiene standards are by putting the sticker up in the window or on the door and by putting your certificate on display."

I wonder if that's on the to-do list too.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:48 am

Programs: BA Gold GGL, Hilton Diamond, FB Grey, Amex MR, Trop Plus Gold
What was most alarming was the raw fish preparation. Partly because all I thought they did was boil in the bag stuff from Gate.

Incidentally the lounge staff at the CCR are completely unaware, I asked this afternoon if the food was safe to eat, and the reply I got was "our food preparation has always been of the very highest standard". I had to ask what standard was the worst, if "poor" was the highest.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:49 am

Programs: FT
well that was actually worse than i thought it was.

BTW, does anyone have a picture where the sticker is on the entrance to the lounge showing the rating?
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:54 am

Programs: BA Gold GGL, Hilton Diamond, FB Grey, Amex MR, Trop Plus Gold
Originally Posted by mkjr
BTW, does anyone have a picture where the sticker is on the entrance to the lounge showing the rating?
The sticker is not displayed in the CCR, I am there now and searched for it, then asked where it was. I was told "it's not displayed in this lounge, I don't think".

Which is vague enough that it might be in GF, but I can't be bothered to check.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
There is no legal requirement to display the sticker so not surprisingly they are not!
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:24 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
May I ask that the conversation on this topic is continued on the thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...rstorey-3.html

I noticed that since the thread above was started the responses are now scattered, with some cross-posting.

I thought about merging the two but some posts may not make much sense any more due to timing issues (e.g. a post responding to a post directly above it will not make sense as it is no longer directly above it if the thread is merged).

So I have made a decision to close this one to keep future posts in one place.

I will post a link to this thread in the 'new' one on the same topic.

Thank you for your understanding. If you have an opinion on the closure of this thread, please PM me. Please don't blame the other BAEC mods for this decision - I take full accountability for this decision.
LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.