Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How long to process redemption ticket refund?

Old Sep 21, 2013, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Cancelled an avios booking online a couple of weeks ago.

Still reading in manage my booking as "in process" with no refund yet of miles or money or the amex voucher involved.

Is this normal in others experience?
Old Sep 21, 2013, 2:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
My experience - not that I do many cancellations - is that 4 scenarios can apply:

1) Immediate (within a few hours) refund of both cash and Avios.

2) Immediate refund of Avios, cash takes a few days.

3) Cash takes 3 to 5 weeks, Avios one or two weeks.

4) Both refunded 2 or 3 days after the original flight date.

1 and 2 for online cancellations, 3 for complex routings involving non BA flight numbers (though they can also fall into 1 or 2), 4 if cancelling shortly before travel. But it's not very consistent. For some reason, which I can't really articulate, I kind of know which it will be when I do it, but I guess the summary would be more complicated and shorter notice the longer it will take.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 4:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, lots of random hotel schemes...
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en-GB) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Just had one (after a canx flight) where the cash element was almost immediate, avios took 6 weeks and a lot of chasing both from myself and between baec cs team and avios team. During these exchanges, I did get the impression that the process was not always smooth and to a large extent was based on manual processes, hence wildly varying possibilities re timing
Old Sep 21, 2013, 4:18 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
I cancelled a one way SYD-MEL-LHR itinerary (QF metal, obv.) online, 4 days ago. Had to fill out the long form rather than the normal form which tells you how much you'll get back etc. The booking disappeared from my BAEC "my bookings" list but is still visible as confirmed+ticketed on checkmytrip.com. Have had no Avios or cash back yet. Last time this happened, I called up after a week and the CS agent told me there was no record of me ever having even tried to cancel it and processed it immediately on the phone.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 4:50 am

4 months now with 60% so far re-credited. Suppose I should be happy that I have a partial refund as it could be worse....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.