Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Replacement BA Lounge at NBO???

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2013, 7:17 pm

Programs: DL DM
I totally agree with times noted by Antichef; I had a very similar experience last week. Arrivals is a little more challenging, but always has been at NBO (even before the fire).
Old Dec 19, 2013, 1:14 am

Programs: BMI
Originally Posted by antichef
You queue outside to get through the security scanning to enter the terminal. Then you queue at the check-in desks for the airline. Then you queue for the passport check out, then you head into the terminal for your wait for the aircraft. When I did it last week for my EK flight it took about 30 mins, 15 mins, and 15 mins respectively. So about an hour before I could hang around with negligible facilities. The times may vary at different times of the day, but it seemed fairly normal for NBO
Thanks.

I'll turn up a good 2 - 2.5 hours before hand then just in case the queues are longer than expected.

Sounds like great fun... can't wait :P
Old Dec 30, 2013, 4:43 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Here's a belated Christmas gift from antichef. On his behalf, I present to you the replacement lounge. Enjoy

Old Dec 30, 2013, 4:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There are a few Italian outstations that can only drool with admiration for that set-up. And the coffee is a step up from CE too, for that matter. What's in the cool box I wonder?
Old Dec 30, 2013, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
What's in the cool box I wonder?
Champagne, presumably.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 7:29 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
The coolbox is actually the hot water container for refilling the jugs to add hot water to the teabags and Nescafe in your paper cup.

When you get to the lounge check in at Gate 10 there is the initial ticket check and you go through the bag scanner and arch, then there is a second bag scan and search before you get into the lounge. You are then split, First and CW to the left and the rest to the right. Note that it is signed for F and CW only, not GCH etc. There are 48 seats for the F and CW pax, and the enhanced lounge facilities shown in the picture!

You can have as many cups of Nescafe as you like though.

There is free wifi in the f and CW lounge area. The password is on a sign on the wall with the password. Dont know about the other area as I did not go there.

Last edited by antichef; Dec 30, 2013 at 7:34 am Reason: wifi info added
Old Dec 31, 2013, 8:03 am

You are too funny!
Old Dec 31, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald, StarAlliance Gold
Originally Posted by antichef
The coolbox is actually the hot water container for refilling the jugs to add hot water to the teabags and Nescafe in your paper cup.

When you get to the lounge check in at Gate 10 there is the initial ticket check and you go through the bag scanner and arch, then there is a second bag scan and search before you get into the lounge. You are then split, First and CW to the left and the rest to the right. Note that it is signed for F and CW only, not GCH etc. There are 48 seats for the F and CW pax, and the enhanced lounge facilities shown in the picture!

You can have as many cups of Nescafe as you like though.

There is free wifi in the f and CW lounge area. The password is on a sign on the wall with the password. Dont know about the other area as I did not go there.
Thanks, that's very useful indeed. I can barely conceal my anticipation

Any one know what traffic is like going to the airport on a Saturday night? Or if there is an airport hotel nearby I can have dinner and hang about in and check in at the last minute?
Old Dec 31, 2013, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG GLD, MR GLD
Originally Posted by bonoglobetrotter
Thanks, that's very useful indeed. I can barely conceal my anticipation

Any one know what traffic is like going to the airport on a Saturday night? Or if there is an airport hotel nearby I can have dinner and hang about in and check in at the last minute?
I can't speak for Saturday nights, but I took a Eurocar from the US Embassy/UN area to NBO tonight (Tuesday) and was at the gate area in under an hour. Traffic is heaviest around downtown.

The queue to get into the terminal was short, but you will need to show a copy of your itinerary to be let in the door. Keep in mind that you have an initial X-ray screening/Arch at the door, then BA has an additional manual bag screen before you reach the ticket counter. After passing the initial document check, the dual X-rays & Arches at the gate are a bit of a pain, and there is a final hand search after the second X-Ray. The beverage table looks exactly as Antichef's photo above. There is a pair of power plugs next to the table.

Last edited by dfwmusicman; Dec 31, 2013 at 12:29 pm
Old Jan 21, 2014, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: LOTS
A little better

Because we arrived at 18.30 from MBA we took a cab to the Ole Sereni hotel & had drinks & dinner on the Big Five terrace overlooking the Nairobi NP. We arrived back at NBO just before 22.00 after a 15 minute ride.

As predicted the queue for security to enter the airport took nearly an hour but once inside things moved quite rapidly. I'm happy to report that the selection of drinks in the lounge has improved markedly & now includes beers, wines & spirits & plenty of ice. The snacks looked as dodgy as they used to do in the lounge (RIP).

I had only time for a quick sip of my G&T before we were called for boarding & 10 minutes after take off the lovely Denise had made up my bed & I slipped into 6 hours peaceful oblivion. We even landed 30 minutes early.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 4:09 pm

Just returned from NBO. The Simba Lounge is for KQ and KLM business class passengers "only." I specifically asked about other SkyTeam or non-allied partner passengers having access and the attendant said, "No." [Of course, in Africa, that doesn't mean much.]
Old May 1, 2014, 1:27 pm

Programs: ABBA
Tonight took 50 minutes from down town nairobi through to passport control.

15 minute wait to enter the building. Security tighter than my last visit just before westgate, had to take off belt and even boots to get in.

5 minute wait to check in at the F desk (2 people in front were trying to blag an upgrade)

2 metaldetector/xrays in a row at the gate (G10), then a random manual search. There's then a "lounge dragon" directing people left (to the 'lounge' or right (to somewhere else, shudder). Normal BA rules apply, at least for silvers and golds.

Lounge is normal departure gate seating, with a few drinks, food and newspapers available. Wifi is available but dog slow, I'd upload pictures but I can't even load the "upload picture" page!
Old May 1, 2014, 1:52 pm

The "lounge" was no wc by the way. It does offer 500ml bottles of water.

No air con, so very hot.

On boarding is only drunk half, so I took it with me. It was confiscated at the top of the air bridge. How pathetic. Fortunately those flyertalkers in the know will now put their water bottle in their bag.
Old May 2, 2014, 12:16 am

Some piccys, first the overview

(Standing at the entrance to the area, you board from the back of this picture so priority boarding works ^)

Some ropey food about t-90

Some ropey alcohol and coffee

Old May 2, 2014, 3:22 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Huge improvements then

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.