Unflown Segments - Both Directions

Old Sep 18, 13, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Unflown Segments - Both Directions

I've been looking for flights from LAX or LAS to LHR for Christmas and noticed a substantial difference in price when booking to France.

I.e:

LAX-LHR-NCE / NCE-LHR-LAX - the difference in Club is about £800(comparing with flights to LHR).

If I booked this and missed the LHR-NCE connection on my inbound and NCE-LHR on outbound, would this be possible ?
Old Sep 18, 13, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kegan5 View Post
I've been looking for flights from LAX or LAS to LHR for Christmas and noticed a substantial difference in price when booking to France.

I.e:

LAX-LHR-NCE / NCE-LHR-LAX - the difference in Club is about £800(comparing with flights to LHR).

If I booked this and missed the LHR-NCE connection on my inbound and NCE-LHR on outbound, would this be possible ?
No. When you miss your first LHR-NCE the other segments will be canceled.
Old Sep 18, 13, 12:13 pm

Programs: MUCCI
No. If you no-show for a flight, the later flights are cancelled.

You need to consider why LAX-LHR-NCE rtn is cheaper than LAX-LHR return.
Some of it might be cheaper taxes in france for a deparature from NCE.
Another element might be a cheaper quoted fare to take people to NCE.

See if stop overs are permitted for a fee in the fare rules, then go:
LAX-LHR (multi day stop over) LHR-NCE (same day turn around or overnight) NCE-LHR-LAX.

While you could also consider:
LAX-LHR-NCE (same day turn around or overnight) NCE-LHR (Mult day Stop over) LAX.
- the taxes would be higher here.

Otherwise just see how much it would cost to nest NCE-LON-NCE inside your flight.
Old Sep 18, 13, 12:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite

I.e:

The issues you'd have are:-

1) your checked bags would be heading to NCE on the outward
2) I believe that the small print for BA tickets (and most airlines for that matter) states that if you don't check in for the first leg of a trip they'll assume you're not coming for the other legs and sell your seat
3) the small print also probably prohibits it, although I'm sure some have done it
4) you wouldn't get the Avois and TOs for unflown legs

I'd say it is risky and you should go into something like that aware of the potential consequences. You could always go to NCE and book a cheap flight from NCE to LHR and still save money!
Old Sep 18, 13, 12:29 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by BerksFlyer View Post
The issues you'd have are:-

1) your checked bags would be heading to NCE on the outward
That is not actually an issue.
You can have bags only checked a certain distance along a multi-leg trip. Plenty of times I take bags out in LHR to put them into storage and pick them up a week later, etc.

3) the small print also probably prohibits it, although I'm sure some have done it
I doubt anyone has done this. Plenty of people will have thrown away the last sector and subsequent sectors.

Someone might have tried dropping the LHR-NCE equivalent, but I can't see anyone getting away without flying the NCE-LHR - unless they had a very good excuse. If it was combined with them not flying LHR-NCE then zero chance.
Old Sep 18, 13, 3:47 pm

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
If the main point of the trip is LAX - LHR then possibly the best thing to do would be to have the LHR - NCE leg on the last night of the trip, spend a night in NCE (or wherever else) and then fly back the next morning, through to LAX the next day. That way you don't need to do two additional segments between NCE and LHR. Of course the fare rules may have an issue with stopovers but it's worth quoting on.
Old Sep 18, 13, 3:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If the print is too small to read, use a magnifying glass. But, it's not. It's very plain. You must fly all segments in the order issued. Skip any one and the remainder are cancelled. On the fares you are looking at, most likely that the tickets have no value if so cancelled.
Old Sep 18, 13, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Originally Posted by David-A View Post
You can have bags only checked a certain distance along a multi-leg trip. Plenty of times I take bags out in LHR to put them into storage and pick them up a week later, etc.
It most definitely is an issue if flying LAX-LHR-NCE all on the same day, as the OP most likely would be on this ticket.
Old Sep 18, 13, 4:00 pm

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
It most definitely is an issue if flying LAX-LHR-NCE all on the same day, as the OP most likely would be on this ticket.
Why would short-checking bags be an issue? I have done it many times and in the past had it done to me involuntarily many times too.
Old Sep 18, 13, 5:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Velocity Gold
Out of curiosity, what is the rule regarding checked bags on multi leg trips - ie. When do they get checked through and when do you collect them for later? Is it the time gap between flights?
Old Sep 19, 13, 5:50 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
See if stop overs are permitted for a fee in the fare rules, then go:
LAX-LHR (multi day stop over) LHR-NCE (same day turn around or overnight) NCE-LHR-LAX.

While you could also consider:
LAX-LHR-NCE (same day turn around or overnight) NCE-LHR (Mult day Stop over) LAX.
- the taxes would be higher here.
Not only do the cheapest CW fare not allow any stopovers but they also require a minimum/Sunday night stay.
Old Sep 19, 13, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Originally Posted by bankops View Post
Why would short-checking bags be an issue? I have done it many times and in the past had it done to me involuntarily many times too.
Not all itineraries qualify for short-checking - even if it's just a matter of having so little time between flights that there is no prospect of retrieving the bag, and checking it in for the onward segment [which the passenger was enquiring about skipping, but which BA must not know they wanted to skip!]. I've never had to do it with BA but other airlines I've had dealings with require an overnight stay or a >12 hour layover before they will allow a bag to be short-checked.

I don't know BA's policy, so please let me know if it is documented on their website. I have seen enough posts on here over the years, though, advising people to book transfers (LHR-LGW) so that they can get access to their luggage at London when otherwise they apparently wouldn't be entitled to it, so it must be an issue for BA flights, too.
Old Sep 22, 13, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Oops I wasn't receiving notifications on this thread, that aside I guess I'll just have to pay the extra and do the LAX-LHR return instead

Thanks for the input, hopefully I'll sort something out soon.
Old Sep 22, 13, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Oops I wasn't receiving notifications on this thread, that aside I guess I'll just have to pay the extra and do the LAX-LHR return instead

Thanks for the input, hopefully I'll sort something out soon.
Or enjoy the free weekend away in Nice as an added bonus after/before stopping over in London! For goodness sake, many people would happily pay a lot for the treat!
Old Sep 22, 13, 3:13 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, LH, MR TIT, IHG GLD
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
Or enjoy the free weekend away in Nice as an added bonus after/before stopping over in London! For goodness sake, many people would happily pay a lot for the treat!
Especially in dec

Search this Thread