Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Newly promoted GGL; Just tried using a joker and was told no, is this normal

Newly promoted GGL; Just tried using a joker and was told no, is this normal

Old Sep 17, 13, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Ba ggl, ccr
Thumbs down Newly promoted GGL; Just tried using a joker and was told no, is this normal

Hi all

Thanks to the help and tips from this site (including the Dub - GCM tier point run recommendation) I got my GGL membership through last week.

I just tried to use a GGL joker for a ticket to Munich next weekend (availability still showing more than 9 seats in club in revenue bookings online for the flight I wanted in 10 days time) and was told that they could not free up the 1 seat I asked for on avios as there were no more avios seats and they only had a couple of revenue seats left... after protesting that my understanding of the key beneift of GGL was the conversion of revenue tickets to avios twice a year I was still told this would not be possible as there weren't many seats left in revenue. Surely if they still have over 9 seats on a club europe flight there must be space as thats two and a half rows of seats...

Has anyone had this experience before? This seems like poor form given I'm asking for a ticket in 12 days within Europe and have proven my loyalty and business value to BA.

I tried calling back to see if I had different luck with a different operator but (potentially as a sign of fate) I got the same operator again who reiterated the position and refused when i asked for a manual request to revenue management

Any tips would be greatly appreciated as on principle if nothing else I'd like to actually use this hard earned benefit that is so often quoted.

Many thanks

Alex
Old Sep 17, 13, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Is it not the case that GGL jokers require that:

a) only very few other people have used a joker on the flight in question
b) a specific inventory class (D?) is open.

Perhaps one of those could be the explanation.
Old Sep 17, 13, 1:33 pm

Programs: ABBA
I believe it only opens up availability in the "D" class.

It's usually used for F flights, where it gives availability in "A", which is often available

I'd be surprised if a joker had been used for 4 other people for that weekend, but I guess Oktoberfest is starting early, so it's possible?
Old Sep 17, 13, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only 5 seats are available for Joker use on each flight. If someone has gotten there before you and used their Jokers, then you can't use yours. This could be what they meant
Also:
•A twice per membership year redemption for up to 5 people (i.e. member and up to 4 others) booked into revenue classes (A, D, T, B) rather than award classes.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18866006-post3.html

Have you checked Expertflyer to see if D class is available?
See also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...edemption.html

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Sep 17, 13 at 1:40 pm Reason: add link
Old Sep 17, 13, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

I think its the booking class as I said I'd even take any of the 6 other flights to Munich that still are showing space an the operator mentioned the booking class as being a problem

I didn't know about the booking class requirement. is there any way around this? if they still have over 9 seats in club europe it seems odd to refuse to do a manual request
Old Sep 17, 13, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska View Post
Only 5 seats are available for Joker use on each flight. If someone has gotten there before you and used their Jokers, then you can't use yours. This could be what they meant
Also:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18866006-post3.html

Have you checked Expertflyer to see if D class is available?
Haven't checked expertflyer as unfortunately havent got the membership for that
Old Sep 17, 13, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ALEX2575 View Post
Haven't checked expertflyer as unfortunately havent got the membership for that
What is the date and routing?
Old Sep 17, 13, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska View Post
What is the date and routing?
Saturday 28th September LHR- MUC (Ideally on the 7am, BA 948 in club) - which has over 9 revenue seats
Sunday 29th September MUC - LHR (16:25 on the BA 953 in club) - which has low revenue availaibility

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am flexible on times if need be
Old Sep 17, 13, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ALEX2575 View Post
Saturday 28th September LHR- MUC (Ideally on the 7am, BA 948 in club) - which has over 9 revenue seats
Sunday 29th September MUC - LHR (16:25 on the BA 953 in club) - which has low revenue availaibility

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am flexible on times if need be
Results from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Flight Availability Search
Departing LHR on 09/28/13 6:00 AM for MUC
Returning on 09/29/13 12:00 PM 
Flying BA  

Frequency
Flight        Stops  Depart             Arrive             Aircraft  Reliability     Available Classes
0 Connections
BA 948        0      LHR                MUC                319       Unavailable     J9 C0 R6 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M8 G0 
                     09/28/13 7:00 AM   09/28/13 9:50 AM             90% / 10m

0 Connections
BA 950        0      LHR                MUC                319       Unavailable     J4 C2 Y7 B0 M0 G0 
                     09/28/13 8:55 AM   09/28/13 11:45 AM            82% / 12m

0 Connections
BA 952        0      LHR                MUC                320       Unavailable     J5 C3 Y9 B0 M0 G0 
                     09/28/13 12:45 PM  09/28/13 3:35 PM             64% / 21m

0 Connections
BA 956        0      LHR                MUC                319       Unavailable     J7 C5 Y9 B0 M0 G0 
                     09/28/13 5:25 PM   09/28/13 8:15 PM             74% / 15m

0 Connections
BA 958        0      LHR                MUC                320       Unavailable     J9 C9 R7 I5 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L3 S3 G0 
                     09/28/13 8:05 PM   09/28/13 10:55 PM            64% / 21m
It's not returning D as an available fare class. I guess you could call the Gold line and ask.
Old Sep 17, 13, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

many thanks for your help hunting that down. Am I right in saying that D is a cheaper fare class than R - http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...asses_%28BA%29 . my understanding from that link was that D was semi flex and R was discounted so if they have space in a cheaper booking class instead its weird that it causes an issue.

I really appreciate your help and will try calling again 1st thing in the morning and hopefully find a different operator. Any other tips in the interim are extremely welcome.

Thanks again!
Old Sep 17, 13, 2:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Seems a shame to waste a joker on a single flight to Munich - you know you can combine them with Amex 241s, right?

E.g. A winter long weekend in Cape Town for 2, out in F on Wednesday night, back J on Sunday night, 125k + 1000 or so and your pick of the weekends due to your joker (CPT is notoriously hard to redeem on, ever).*

*I may have done this last year and it was BRILLIANT.
Old Sep 17, 13, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BahrainLad View Post
Seems a shame to waste a joker on a single flight to Munich - you know you can combine them with Amex 241s, right?

E.g. A winter long weekend in Cape Town for 2, out in F on Wednesday night, back J on Sunday night, 125k + 1000 or so and your pick of the weekends due to your joker (CPT is notoriously hard to redeem on, ever).*

*I may have done this last year and it was BRILLIANT.
Thanks for the tip, I'm planning to use most for longhaul. I wanted to use one for this trip however as I have 2 and they both expire October 1st apparently when they rebalance the joker year then I get another 2 until my year restarts on October 8th so figured it was better to use them even if only for a Club Europe return rather than lose them though it looks like they may end up in the scrap pile afterall if they're as hard to use as GUF2's were without jokers...
Old Sep 17, 13, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I was extremely interested to see from the EF data posted by jerry a. laska that R is open whilst D is closed.

Either the average revenue for D is lower than R due to those enjoying corporate discounts having proclivity to book D rather than R or BA have actively closed D to ensure that business travellers not taking a Saturday night stay buy-up.

I wonder which it could be! Thoughts?
Old Sep 17, 13, 2:19 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
If it was me, and I had access to the F lounge, I would just fly in Y and allocate a good seat... B class is available... at least you would get there.....
Old Sep 17, 13, 2:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Have you thought about flying into Salzburg or Stuttgart? Former is 1h30, latter is 2h15 from Munich by train...and MUC is about 45 minutes anyway!

Search this Thread