Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should Club be renamed?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2013, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Should Club be renamed?

Having just witnessed a rather unpleasant showdown between a Silver member in line before me at check in and an agitated pax who felt he should be next and who clearly had no idea what "Club" meant, I wondered if BA shouldn't rebrand their products along the line of Economy, Premium Economy, Business, First.

It must be very confusing for the infrequent flier.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:02 pm

Location: London, England, UK, Europe, The World, The Universe
Originally Posted by FlyingB1975
Having just witnessed a rather unpleasant showdown between a Silver member in line before me at check in and an agitated pax who felt he should be next and who clearly had no idea what "Club" meant, I wondered if BA shouldn't rebrand their products along the line of Economy, Premium Economy, Business, First.

It must be very confusing for the infrequent flier.
Yes, very much so. When I first went on British Airways about 2/3 yrs ago, I had absolutely no clue what Club was. Took me couple of months to figure out (didn't fly or visit the BA website during that time) when I next saw the BA website. I think they should rename their classes.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

These names are utterly confusing.

What's magnifica (a coffee?) What's crown class (royals only?) What's club (annual fee required?) What's executive class (only airline execs admitted?) How about Quadra Smartium (don't want to be caught there) Or Dynasty? Or Cloud Nine (do they provide "entertainment")? Or Royal Silk? Or Cedar class (the smell is overwhelming)?

I refuse to call any of the above anything else than business or, on FT shorthand, J-cabin.

You can't figure out whether they are F, J, W or even Y-cabins from their name, and I think they would all do better in getting rid of their name and costs associated with the confusion that they generate. BA's J-cabins (both long and short haul) included.

Last edited by hillrider; Sep 13, 2013 at 12:18 pm
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:20 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Since Euro Traveller, World Traveller, World Traveller Plus, Club Europe, Club World, and First are intrinsic elements of BA's brand, I don't see any need to homogenise these titles.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:22 pm

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
They know they've got them listed wrong as on their website they have Premium Economy which magically changes to WT+ and next one down is "Business/Club", so they are fully aware.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:25 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by hillrider
These names are utterly confusing.

What's magnifica (a coffee?) What's crown class (royals only?) What's club (annual fee required?) What's executive class (only airline execs admitted?) How about Quadra Smartium (don't want to be caught there) Or Dynasty? Or Cloud Nine (do they provide "entertainment")? Or Royal Silk? Or Cedar class (the smell is overwhelming)?
I suppose it's about differentiating from other airlines and a desire to build loyalty. I am not sure it is easy to judge whether it does work/add value for an airline, but see that there will be other commercial considerations in the decision. I expect BA must have evaluated this a few times. There was a spell a few years ago when a few airlines got rid of these brandings: SQ got rid of Raffles and UA got rid of Connoisseur.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA soon to be Silver
Should Club be renamed?

No. Take this to its logical conclusion and we might as well just have 1 (F), 2 (J), 3 (W) and 4 (Y). Everything is clearly labelled and if working out the classes on the plane is the biggest challenge somebody has while travelling, then they are doing pretty well.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Prospero
Since Euro Traveller, World Traveller, World Traveller Plus, Club Europe, Club World, and First are intrinsic elements of BA's brand, I don't see any need to homogenise these titles.
Not forgetting poor old UK Domestic and Business UK.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Sorry? There are other classes besides "Club"?

I do tend to agree with the OP, and respectfully disagree with Prospero. Those who are UK-based, and have a vague familiarity with the mysteries of BA/BAEC, may find it easy. Not sure that's a Global perspective, though.

Bling Marketing titles for "First" and "Business", which seems to be the norm now, doesn't help. Am I right or wrong?
Old Sep 13, 2013, 1:07 pm

Programs: MUCCI :D, BA Lifetime Gold, JJC (1980 the Leo Budd years) Hilton Gold
.....and then there was the passenger who got on board a BA 747 going to some far flung arm of the empi..... sorry, ahem, of the world and said I must be able to sit in Club as I am an Executive Club member.......
Old Sep 13, 2013, 1:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FlyingB1975
Having just witnessed a rather unpleasant showdown between a Silver member
Not another case of an over-entitled Silver member throwing their weight about.....
Old Sep 13, 2013, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Not another case of an over-entitled Silver member throwing their weight about.....
No, this one was well behaved and an innocent victim.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat, QF Silver
I agree with the OP. The names airlines are coming up with are just plane silly. Sure I get that this is a brand, and branding is important but if the brand is not easily understood by the consumer, then its not working....

Given you have to be a regular customer to know the difference, that means the brand does not work.....

Imagine the brand "Business Nitro plus extreme" (or some stupid name like this, perhaps that was a shot a shell), at least people with no knowledge of the airline would know what it was trying to do....
Old Sep 13, 2013, 1:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Try to explain to your parents, who can barely understand email, what WT+ is and why they want to upgrade.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 1:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Kangorucci. NZGE.KLM Gold. VS gold
Originally Posted by boadh398
.....and then there was the passenger who got on board a BA 747 going to some far flung arm of the empi..... sorry, ahem, of the world and said I must be able to sit in Club as I am an Executive Club member.......
Oh, are BA flying to Pitcairn now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.