Wiki Posts
Search

Goodbye, BA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2013, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue forever!
Goodbye, BA

We just did what is most likely our last round trip on BA. We have been loyal customers for 30 years. There have been ups and downs. A couple of times we actually had to fly on AF directly to Paris. How nice not to have to change at LHR and to enjoy the French meal, better back then. We have been in every cabin but F. Sometimes we used miles, often we paid and we have been upgraded more than we deserved. Through it all I have adored BA. Even now to watch the crew board is a thrill. So were the times we shared hotel elevators with even the captain. These last two flights are our last memories of the great enjoyment BA has given us. We were in WT both ways. I paid for my beloved window seat to LHR but none was left 20 H before check in coming home. A nice Italian man on his first flight to the U.S. had it but he hardly looked out the whole daylight trip. I'm not even sure if he noticed Greenland, so fascinating to fly over. Going over we had no choice of entrée but the chicken was good [tikka?]. The half can of coke and one ice cube was OK but I really miss the pretzels, nuts or something of the past. My husband swore the seat was narrower and it was digging into his back. Luckily, I had packed my mask, pen, socks, etc. from the old days because all I got was brush and toothpaste. It used to be such fun. The chicken tea sandwiches were good and BA has finally cut the sugar content of its desserts. What is it they say about death? Not with a bang but with a wimper.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 7:18 pm

Programs: FT
Thanks OP. you don't have to say by to BAEC. I don't fly BA much but earn and burn with them. Not as well as I have in the past but still rather well.

Last edited by Prospero; Sep 7, 2013 at 2:51 am Reason: edit out reply to deleted post
Old Sep 6, 2013, 7:58 pm

Delete

Last edited by Poxball; Sep 7, 2013 at 2:57 am Reason: Respect
Old Sep 6, 2013, 8:03 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Goodbye daph
Old Sep 6, 2013, 8:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm not sure if you're giving up flying full stop daph or you're just not planning on flying BA again? Been a few years since I flew economy long haul on any airline but BA certainly used to have one of the best Y products.

Economy long haul travel isn't the best way to travel especially if you've been used to flying in a better class of cabin. I could do it on a day flight but the older I get I shudder at the thought of flying in Y on a long overnight flight.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by mkjr
Thanks OP. you don't have to say by to BAEC. I don't fly BA much but earn and burn with them. Not as well as I have in the past but still rather well.
Exactly. I left BA as a preferred airline a couple of years ago but the BAEC is still decent if you can fit your 4 qualifying flights in on short haul/domestics. Maybe the A380 will tempt me back, we shall see ^

Last edited by Prospero; Sep 7, 2013 at 2:52 am Reason: clean up of quoted content
Old Sep 7, 2013, 12:27 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Byeeee, enjoy the delights of economy on other airlines, where there are more windows, much more confortable seats and bigger cans of coke
Old Sep 7, 2013, 12:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Economy long haul travel isn't the best way to travel especially if you've been used to flying in a better class of cabin. I could do it on a day flight but the older I get I shudder at the thought of flying in Y on a long overnight flight.
I haven't done WT on long haul for thirteen years (not that I do it that often) and shudder at the thought. Am I being silly? Is it really not that bad heading West?

To the OP, I have had more downs than ups with BA recently but still find issues with other airlines too. Despite problems of varying degrees on my last five flights with BA I have still chosen them for my next Oslo trip over the many other carriers who could take me there, even though I quite like Norwegian and their tidy new fleet.

..... Not dead yet!
Old Sep 7, 2013, 1:33 am

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
I'm not quite sure what it is that has finally made the OP decide to give up on BA, is it the window seat issue?

All of my summer trips are taken in WT or coach (the other half wont let me splash out on Business, though she has come round to WTP on the overnights)

Coach is not great on any airline but I see no areas where BA are worse than other airlines, except AA have a mid-flight snack that BA don't but that's hardly a major reason.

BA crew are usually good so I don't really understand who is going to provide a better service unless the OP is going to fly exclusively on Asian airlines where the food and legroom can be better.

Its not 30 years ago and all airlines have carried out cost cutting.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 1:54 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
No, I think it is the Death issue. Usually makes travel somewhat harder etc

Nice to reminisce I guess but Death is one of those things that everyone gets so worked up about. Would be good though if the journey between this life and the next adventure were not in Y (assuming that it would be a night flight).
Old Sep 7, 2013, 2:17 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Byeeee, enjoy the delights of economy on other airlines, where there are more windows, much more confortable seats and bigger cans of coke
(et al)

It appears reading between the lines is becoming a lost art.

Daph - thank you for your elegiac reminiscences, and good luck.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Reading between the lines, it sounds as though the OP doesn't like the WT product compared to the 'good old days'. If the OP wants to try other products, then good for them.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 2:36 am

Programs: F
Perhaps the OP is not fed up of BA, but instead is not able to fly anymore?
Old Sep 7, 2013, 2:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by redshift27
Perhaps the OP is not fed up of BA, but instead is not able to fly anymore?
That was my reading. Intimations of mortality, to misquote Wordsworth.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Sep 8, 2013 at 2:36 am Reason: Typo
Old Sep 7, 2013, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That was my reading. Intimatations of mortality, to misquote Wordsworth.
Re-reading it i think you're right. In which case^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.