Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Steve Oh
*** NS&I & HMRC NO LONGER AVAILABLE FOR 3V USE ***

Introduction 3V cards and Avios
Tesco gives 150 Clubcard point (convertible to 360 Avios/375 Virgin Miles) for every £50 spent on gift cards. These include the 3V 'Internet Shopping' Visa gift cards (which carry no fee) and have the ability to be recycled back into cash or to pay off bills where an Avios earning card is not accepted. To earn the points just purchase in multiples of £50; you combine with other gift cards (e.g. iTunes, Prepay Visa cards (with fee), Nandos etc).

Spending 3V cards
The original loophole of recycling 3V cards via NS&I direct saver accounts appears to have been closed as of 12/12/13. Other potential routes to dispose of cards can be found here, although this list is now out of date and some disposal methods listed are no longer available.

Current Disposal Options
Following the discontinuation of the NS&I loophole the following websites are still accepting payment by 3V and may be an ongoing useful source of 3V spend to collect points:-

Sky (but there are reports of Sky reversing the transactions); Orange/EE; BT; Virgin Media;Talk Talk, topcashback.co.uk (gift cards); PayPal; Highstreet Vouchers; ParentPay, United Utilities, EDF Energy, Scottish Power, Npower, Amazon (via giftcard), VoucherExpress

Purchasing cards at Tesco
It is strongly recommended when purchasing 3V cards at Tesco that a maximum of 4 cards is purchased in any one transaction (and ensure you have all four activation slips before leaving the store) due to the system limitations of Tesco's checkouts giving rise to potentially being charged for cards which haven't activated. Official Tesco advice to stores is for a maximum of 5 cards (although in this scenario no Clubcard points would be earned on the fifth card). Store policy on how many cards you can take away in one visit is variable although in an unknown store it is wise not to immediately draw too much attention to your activity - if staff are happy to proceed then you can always build to larger quantities before they decline to sell you more.

Non-Tesco 3V outlets
3V cards can also be found in Morrisons, Boots & Homebase. With Morrisons usually having large quantities, sometimes in excess of 100 cards per store and the offer of 1p off of every litre of fuel for every £10 spent makes this is a very good alternative if you're having problems locating stock at Tesco.
Print Wikipost

3V cards | master thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2013, 2:12 am

Programs: Some, not all.
Originally Posted by layz
Are you aiming for free Morrisons fuel or just meeting credit card spends?
Manufactured Spend ^

Clubcard points, Morrisons Fuel vouchers, Nectar points, Minimum spend, Target spend, etc. is all gravy.
A very rich and lucrative gravy
Old Dec 6, 2013, 2:15 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum Elite / BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by flashware
Oh no, 1p of fuel discount missed!!!
You know what they say: take care of the pennies, and the pounds will take care of themselves...
Old Dec 6, 2013, 2:21 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Might have to give the Morrisons 3V a go. I don't have a Morrisons petrol station nearby only a shop but am sure my Dad would like the money off fuel vouchers!
Old Dec 6, 2013, 3:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Does any one know if you can pay your AMEX bill through the online debit card payment page using 3V cards?
Old Dec 6, 2013, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by Gomac
Does any one know if you can pay your AMEX bill through the online debit card payment page using 3V cards?
You cannot.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 4:16 am

Programs: Skywards Silver, Miles & Bonus Gold, BD Diamond Blue
Originally Posted by yellow_peril
It seems that 3V cards are now working again in Tesco as per a report on the other site. Anyone want to give it a go?

FTer: Re-verify our ability to process... four pings only.
Tesco: Sir, I - I - I just..
FTer: Give me some pings, lady. Four pings only, please.
Tesco: Aye, Captain

(Maybe that is a little too obscure...)
Marco Ramius it is
i ve watched it umpteenth times I virtually know whole script.
vastly underrrated movie^
Old Dec 6, 2013, 5:21 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Red, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by vieri_c
Marco Ramius it is
i ve watched it umpteenth times I virtually know whole script.
vastly underrrated movie^
Everyone is correct! It is my favourite film and agree with it being completely underrated!

Just back from a sneaky lunch time haul of 14 cards, 2450 CC points and credit card miles/spend.

I love my weekends working from home. I was however too late to go to the big Morrisons last night, I will have to do it on Monday when I head back to town,
Old Dec 6, 2013, 5:38 am

Programs: Skywards Silver, Miles & Bonus Gold, BD Diamond Blue
Originally Posted by yellow_peril
Everyone is correct! It is my favourite film and agree with it being completely underrated!

Just back from a sneaky lunch time haul of 14 cards, 2450 CC points and credit card miles/spend.

I love my weekends working from home. I was however too late to go to the big Morrisons last night, I will have to do it on Monday when I head back to town,
anyone able to scan and send the 100cc bonus barcode from the magazine, i cant seem to locate it in my local homestore
Old Dec 6, 2013, 6:20 am

Barcode is 9909912201004. However the t&cs do state copied will not be accepted.
(And I had a staffer tell me recently that they were cracking down on photocopied vouchers)
Old Dec 6, 2013, 6:49 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Red, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by vieri_c
anyone able to scan and send the 100cc bonus barcode from the magazine, i cant seem to locate it in my local homestore
PM me your email add.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 12:05 pm

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
Originally Posted by layz
Are you aiming for free Morrisons fuel or just meeting credit card spends?
Neither

Just doing it for the Haribos and Virgin miles
The fact that I won't have to pay for fuel for the forseable future is just a bonus

Last edited by Steve Oh; Dec 6, 2013 at 12:57 pm
Old Dec 6, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: Amex MR, BA, VS, IHG Amb, SPG, Tufty Club
Encountered more made up "rules" from T staff at 2 separate stores today:

Firstly, got told liquorice allsorts cards are only 2 per customer. When I asked if it was per transaction, per day or only 2 cards lifetime, the guy couldn't answer. He called the manager expecting to be backed up, who corrected him and let me buy as many as I wanted.

Secondly, at another store, got told the system would "block and ban" me if I tried to buy more than 25, no matter whether I split them into separate transactions or not. Did the usual 10 at a time, totalling after each, no problems.

After 6 months, it still amazes me where they get these so called "rules"
Old Dec 6, 2013, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Neaput
After 6 months, it still amazes me where they get these so called "rules"
I've worked it out. It's all so clear and obvious.
I'm actually surprised nobody hasn't worked this out sooner....

Tesco staff are making up these rules to stuff us buying the cards so that they can get their mates down to snap them all up.
When you find cards on the shelf it's because their mates haven't made it down to the store yet and the staff are stalling for more time!
Old Dec 6, 2013, 3:15 pm

Programs: Amex MR, BA, VS, IHG Amb, SPG, Tufty Club
Haha, it would be nice to give them the benefit of the doubt and think they were being that clever....
Old Dec 6, 2013, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Neaput
Haha, it would be nice to give them the benefit of the doubt and think they were being that clever....
I'm wondering if it's worth getting a part-time job at Tesco now.....
Anyone on here got any kids they're not using at the moment?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.