Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Steve Oh
*** NS&I & HMRC NO LONGER AVAILABLE FOR 3V USE ***

Introduction 3V cards and Avios
Tesco gives 150 Clubcard point (convertible to 360 Avios/375 Virgin Miles) for every £50 spent on gift cards. These include the 3V 'Internet Shopping' Visa gift cards (which carry no fee) and have the ability to be recycled back into cash or to pay off bills where an Avios earning card is not accepted. To earn the points just purchase in multiples of £50; you combine with other gift cards (e.g. iTunes, Prepay Visa cards (with fee), Nandos etc).

Spending 3V cards
The original loophole of recycling 3V cards via NS&I direct saver accounts appears to have been closed as of 12/12/13. Other potential routes to dispose of cards can be found here, although this list is now out of date and some disposal methods listed are no longer available.

Current Disposal Options
Following the discontinuation of the NS&I loophole the following websites are still accepting payment by 3V and may be an ongoing useful source of 3V spend to collect points:-

Sky (but there are reports of Sky reversing the transactions); Orange/EE; BT; Virgin Media;Talk Talk, topcashback.co.uk (gift cards); PayPal; Highstreet Vouchers; ParentPay, United Utilities, EDF Energy, Scottish Power, Npower, Amazon (via giftcard), VoucherExpress

Purchasing cards at Tesco
It is strongly recommended when purchasing 3V cards at Tesco that a maximum of 4 cards is purchased in any one transaction (and ensure you have all four activation slips before leaving the store) due to the system limitations of Tesco's checkouts giving rise to potentially being charged for cards which haven't activated. Official Tesco advice to stores is for a maximum of 5 cards (although in this scenario no Clubcard points would be earned on the fifth card). Store policy on how many cards you can take away in one visit is variable although in an unknown store it is wise not to immediately draw too much attention to your activity - if staff are happy to proceed then you can always build to larger quantities before they decline to sell you more.

Non-Tesco 3V outlets
3V cards can also be found in Morrisons, Boots & Homebase. With Morrisons usually having large quantities, sometimes in excess of 100 cards per store and the offer of 1p off of every litre of fuel for every £10 spent makes this is a very good alternative if you're having problems locating stock at Tesco.
Print Wikipost

3V cards | master thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2013, 6:29 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Steve Oh
Ahhh, you definitely win then, because yesterday I wasted more than 15 minutes buying 59
Old Dec 3, 2013, 6:45 am

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
Originally Posted by KARFA
lol. Do you feel the reduced air resistance?

Prefer 1 or 2p myself. Coppers have a sharper edge.
Definitely notice the difference over the heavier, clumpier £1 coin.

Originally Posted by Matthew Bennion
I use a golden thimble with diamond encrusted tips...
Want
Old Dec 3, 2013, 6:52 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB
Originally Posted by Steve Oh
Definitely notice the difference over the heavier, clumpier £1 coin.

Want
http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/l...5-details.aspx
Old Dec 3, 2013, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Matthew Bennion
Whilst tempting, I'm not overkeen on the wing pattern on the base.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by sinizter
Quote:

Originally Posted by shorthauldad

I don't suppose someone could scan the coupon and post a link to it, pls?

Will they accept printed off coupons ?
I colour copied a couple of them last week just to test it out. All of them were scanned through without any issues at Tesco's till.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 12:48 pm

Thank you everyone for the replies. I think I will give it another go once the 6 inactivated cards go through. In that point, should I contact 3v or just deal with Tesco?
I think I will maybe do 4 at a time from now on upto a £1000. £3000 might be stretching it a bit

Thanks once again
Old Dec 3, 2013, 1:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Red, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by fodenben
Thank you everyone for the replies. I think I will give it another go once the 6 inactivated cards go through. In that point, should I contact 3v or just deal with Tesco?
I think I will maybe do 4 at a time from now on upto a £1000. £3000 might be stretching it a bit

Thanks once again
The cards (most likely) will not activate but Tesco need to be sure that they have not been charged for them at which stage they will refund you in cash, to the card or with a Tesco voucher.

When I had exactly the same situation on Friday afternoon, they refunded £150 back onto my card after leaving enough time (about an hour) to make sure the cards were not going to work. They tried to activate them again after the hour and the cards said that there was an error (not that they had already been activated or that they were OK to activate then, just an error.)

The staff were OK about this and I left my details in case of any problems so they didn't feel like I was a rip-off merchant.

I have now invested in a hand scanner (using my TCP amazon credit - through HfP naturally) and hope to put some decent spend through a new credit card as card availability seems to be on the up!

I think you had a bad first experience, maybe just keep the numbers down and see how you go. In the batch I did on Sunday, the lady on the checkout totalled after each card and we did them 4 at a time with no problems.

(not post count padding, honest!)

While putting my haul through, I also had a decent amount of time to talk to the lady and she said that she was quite happy to do it as it would look really good on her figures of how much cash she had taken during her shift. I was the last customer before she finished and she stayed about 5 minutes over her time to finish me off and didn't seem at all upset by it.

Last edited by Prospero; Dec 11, 2013 at 1:38 pm Reason: Combine consecutive posts
Old Dec 3, 2013, 1:14 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yellow_peril
... she stayed about 5 minutes over her time to finish me off and didn't seem at all upset by it.
Did she indeed?

I didn't know they were assessed on how much they put through the till, surely it isn't something they can control?
Old Dec 3, 2013, 1:23 pm

I suppose it could be a measure of how fast they work.

Person 1 does £100 an hour whereas person 2 does £5,000 an hour would certainly attract questions.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 1:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Red, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by KARFA
Did she indeed?

I didn't know they were assessed on how much they put through the till, surely it isn't something they can control?
Ahem, oh well, I think I will leave it in as a testament to not concentrating while writing.

Yes, she was saying that the temp Christmas staff were just starting and that they are no longer allowed to take any annual leave until Jan and when it is busy they see how much each person processes at the end of each shift. I agree that if there are few customers then it really is up to us who we choose to check our goods out.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by yellow_peril

I have now invested in a hand scanner (using my TCP amazon credit - through HfP naturally) and hope to put some decent spend through a new credit card as card availability seems to be on the up!

I think you had a bad first experience, maybe just keep the numbers down and see how you go. In the batch I did on Sunday, the lady on the checkout totalled after each card and we did them 4 at a time with no problems.
I think the hand scanner is my next stage as well. The scanner app on the iPhone is constantly loosing focus. Still an average of 1min from beep till email from nsandi. Not bad
http://cl.ly/image/3n1A2U3R0Z1b
Old Dec 4, 2013, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by mobilemario
I think the hand scanner is my next stage as well. The scanner app on the iPhone is constantly loosing focus. Still an average of 1min from beep till email from nsandi. Not bad
http://cl.ly/image/3n1A2U3R0Z1b
Once you get the scanner you'll be down to 30 seconds
Old Dec 4, 2013, 3:48 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by tangey
Thanks for the link.

It doesn't look like the info is very up to date. I tried my local store this evening, it was showing 20 online. Store only had 11, which I bought. Online stock level still showing 20. I'll check it tomorrow again.
still showing 20 in stock.....its only a mile away so I might divert and take a look to see if they actually do have more in stock, or not. I'm assuming homebase only gives 1 point per £ on the gold card ?
Old Dec 4, 2013, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by tangey
still showing 20 in stock.....its only a mile away so I might divert and take a look to see if they actually do have more in stock, or not. I'm assuming homebase only gives 1 point per £ on the gold card ?
Showing 20 in stock for me too - we'll see
Old Dec 4, 2013, 5:18 am

Programs: BA Exec Club (Gold)
Let us know if purchasing at Homebase works.

Found plenty at Tesco's today but apparently they are unable to activate any cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.